The name YHWH or Jehovah belongs in the New Testament

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Ross
Scholar

The name YHWH or Jehovah belongs in the New Testament

Post #1

Post by Ross »

The Jehovah's Witnesses have their own translation of the Bible, The New World translation, which has been used in their proselytising and study almost exclusively since it was produced in the 1950's.
The Christian Greek Scriptures (NT) were translated first in secrecy by a translation committee appointed by their then President Nathan Homer Knorr and Vice President and chief theologian Frederick William Franz, without the knowledge of their Governing Body around 1950. The NT completed work was presented one morning to the remainder of the organizational staff at Bethel Headquarters in New York.
The name 'Jehovah' was inserted into the Christian Greek Scriptures by the committee 237 times, even though there is not a single extant Greek manuscript in existence containing 'Jehovah' or the Hebrew YHWH. Is there good and just reason to put it there, or is this a case of inserting spurious text?

Ross
Scholar

Re: The name YHWH or Jehovah belongs in the New Testament

Post #2

Post by Ross »

One of the Jehovah's Witnesses on this forum stated in another thread:
Jehovah is preserving the integrity of the Bible by inspiring Jehovah's Witnesses to put back His name where it belongs.
I would like to begin if I may by asking the Witnesses if this is official JW teaching, that the committee were inspired by God?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by 2timothy316 »

This question has been brought to this board many times. The official reason can be found here.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1001070205

Ross
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Ross »

2timothy316 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:28 am This question has been brought to this board many times. The official reason can be found here.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1001070205
Sorry but I don't read links to propaganda or long posts. If you wish to say something, then post it in your own words.

This is a continuation of another discussion which ran off topic which one or two others were engaging me in. If you don't like the subject topic then please abstain.

And you have no idea what information I may bring to light.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Eloi »

In the Christian Scriptures we can find Jehovah's name many times. We can know that it was mentioned and written by inspired Christians because their service to Jehovah was as important to them as it was to Jehovah's faithful servants before Christ was born.

All the inspired writers of the Christian Scriptures were Jews, not like any Jew of their time who followed the Pharisaic traditions, but like the prophets before Christ, who used God's name profusely and showed him great respect by serving him loyally.

For example, when Paul wrote to the Christians in Rome, he told them:

Rom. 4:1 That being so, what will we say was gained by Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh? 2 For instance, if Abraham was declared righteous as a result of works, he would have reason to boast, but not with God. 3 For what does the scripture say? “Abraham put faith in Jehovah, and it was counted to him as righteousness.”
4 Now to the man who works, his pay is not counted as an undeserved kindness but as something owed to him. 5 On the other hand, to the man who does not work but puts faith in the One who declares the ungodly one righteous, his faith is counted as righteousness. 6 Just as David also speaks of the happiness of the man to whom God counts righteousness apart from works: 7 “Happy are those whose lawless deeds have been pardoned and whose sins have been covered; 8 happy is the man whose sin Jehovah will by no means take into account.”

Paul, who was a faithful Jewish worshiper of Jehovah, was not afraid to mention God's name in the Scriptures that he was quoting:

Gen. 15:6 And he put faith in Jehovah, and He counted it to him as righteousness.

Psal. 32:1 Happy is the one whose transgression is pardoned, whose sin is covered. 2 Happy is the man whom Jehovah does not charge with guilt, In whose spirit there is no deceit.

The leaders and theologians of Christendom out there do not teach their followers that in the New Testament there are many DIRECT QUOTES from the Old Testament that contain the name of Jehovah. They are not taught that in the first century Jehovah's name was in the Greek LXX with Hebrew characters, and that Greek-speaking Christians who read that version saw, read, and used the Name exactly as all of Jehovah's faithful servants did before Christ.

Ross
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Ross »

Eloi wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:06 pm In the Christian Scriptures we can find Jehovah's name many times. We can know that it was mentioned and written by inspired Christians because their service to Jehovah was as important to them as it was to Jehovah's faithful servants before Christ was born.

All the inspired writers of the Christian Scriptures were Jews, not like any Jew of their time who followed the Pharisaic traditions, but like the prophets before Christ, who used God's name profusely and showed him great respect by serving him loyally.

For example, when Paul wrote to the Christians in Rome, he told them:

Rom. 4:1 That being so, what will we say was gained by Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh? 2 For instance, if Abraham was declared righteous as a result of works, he would have reason to boast, but not with God. 3 For what does the scripture say? “Abraham put faith in Jehovah, and it was counted to him as righteousness.”
4 Now to the man who works, his pay is not counted as an undeserved kindness but as something owed to him. 5 On the other hand, to the man who does not work but puts faith in the One who declares the ungodly one righteous, his faith is counted as righteousness. 6 Just as David also speaks of the happiness of the man to whom God counts righteousness apart from works: 7 “Happy are those whose lawless deeds have been pardoned and whose sins have been covered; 8 happy is the man whose sin Jehovah will by no means take into account.”

Paul, who was a faithful Jewish worshiper of Jehovah, was not afraid to mention God's name in the Scriptures that he was quoting:

Gen. 15:6 And he put faith in Jehovah, and He counted it to him as righteousness.

Psal. 32:1 Happy is the one whose transgression is pardoned, whose sin is covered. 2 Happy is the man whom Jehovah does not charge with guilt, In whose spirit there is no deceit.

The leaders and theologians of Christendom out there do not teach their followers that in the New Testament there are many DIRECT QUOTES from the Old Testament that contain the name of Jehovah. They are not taught that in the first century Jehovah's name was in the Greek LXX with Hebrew characters, and that Greek-speaking Christians who read that version saw, read, and used the Name exactly as all of Jehovah's faithful servants did before Christ.
Eloi, there is so much more there than I can possibly attend to. I work, have a family, and only have limited time to respond. This means I must pick one or more of your points and totally leave others. Please keep your posts down to one or two subjects, and refrain from others for another time.

Ross
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Ross »

Eloi wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:06 pm In the Christian Scriptures we can find Jehovah's name many times.

Only in the New World Translation.

Ross
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Ross »

Eloi wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:06 pm All the inspired writers of the Christian Scriptures were Jews, ... who used God's name profusely and showed him great respect by serving him loyally.
Please provide evidence of this other than the New World Translation.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Eloi »

Ross wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:26 pmEloi, there is so much more there than I can possibly attend to. I work, have a family, and only have limited time to respond. This means I must pick one or more of your points and totally leave others. Please keep your posts down to one or two subjects, and refrain from others for another time.
That is not how things work on internet. I am a very busy person myself.

Right now you got that: there are many direct quotes from the OT in the NT that contain the personal name of God ... like the passage I just quoted in my last post.

Did ypu know that all NT in Hebrew contain the name of God?

Instead of worrying about why JWs restored the name where it goes (and we are not the only ones on doing that) ... worry about why most Christendom's versions took it out more than 6 thousands times from the OT. Does that make sense to you?

Ross
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Ross »

Ross wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:26 pm The leaders and theologians of Christendom out there do not teach their followers that in the New Testament there are many DIRECT QUOTES from the Old Testament that contain the name of Jehovah.
They are not direct quotes containing the name of 'Jehovah' or even the Hebrew YHWH