The name YHWH or Jehovah belongs in the New Testament

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Ross
Scholar

The name YHWH or Jehovah belongs in the New Testament

Post #1

Post by Ross »

The Jehovah's Witnesses have their own translation of the Bible, The New World translation, which has been used in their proselytising and study almost exclusively since it was produced in the 1950's.
The Christian Greek Scriptures (NT) were translated first in secrecy by a translation committee appointed by their then President Nathan Homer Knorr and Vice President and chief theologian Frederick William Franz, without the knowledge of their Governing Body around 1950. The NT completed work was presented one morning to the remainder of the organizational staff at Bethel Headquarters in New York.
The name 'Jehovah' was inserted into the Christian Greek Scriptures by the committee 237 times, even though there is not a single extant Greek manuscript in existence containing 'Jehovah' or the Hebrew YHWH. Is there good and just reason to put it there, or is this a case of inserting spurious text?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: The name YHWH or Jehovah belongs in the New Testament

Post #11

Post by Eloi »

Ross wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:39 pm
Ross wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:26 pm The leaders and theologians of Christendom out there do not teach their followers that in the New Testament there are many DIRECT QUOTES from the Old Testament that contain the name of Jehovah.
They are not direct quotes containing the name of 'Jehovah' or even the Hebrew YHWH
Well, ask yourself why Jesus is used in the NT you "approve" if Jesus is not the original name of the Son of God.
You may answer the question yourself after that.

Do you think Jesus used the name of God when answering the three temptations of Satan?

Ross
Scholar

Post #12

Post by Ross »

Ross wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:26 pm
They are not taught that in the first century Jehovah's name was in the Greek LXX with Hebrew characters, and that Greek-speaking Christians who read that version saw, read, and used the Name exactly as all of Jehovah's faithful servants did before Christ.
I have seen one or two remnants (bits of pages) of the LXX containing YHWH in Hebrew characters. This is evidence that at least one LXX was translated containing YHWH. This is a universe away from concluding that:
Greek-speaking Christians who read that version saw, read, and used the Name exactly as all of Jehovah's faithful servants did before Christ.
I will not be able to respond to future long posts in this manner. Please keep your subject matter smaller. It also doesn't allow me to explain anything thoroughly.

Ross
Scholar

Post #13

Post by Ross »

Eloi wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:33 pm Right now you got that: there are many direct quotes from the OT in the NT that contain the personal name of God ... like the passage I just quoted in my last post.
The MT contains YHWH. The NT does not.
Last edited by Ross on Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ross
Scholar

Post #14

Post by Ross »

Eloi wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:33 pm
Instead of worrying about why JWs restored the name where it goes (and we are not the only ones on doing that) ... worry about why most Christendom's versions took it out more than 6 thousands times from the OT. Does that make sense to you?
That is an excellent question. But Christendom didn't. The Jews did it.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by Eloi »

Ross wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:50 pm
They are not taught that in the first century Jehovah's name was in the Greek LXX with Hebrew characters, and that Greek-speaking Christians who read that version saw, read, and used the Name exactly as all of Jehovah's faithful servants did before Christ.
I have seen one or two remnants (bits of pages) of the LXX containing YHWH in Hebrew characters. This is evidence that at least one LXX was translated containing YHWH. This is a universe away from concluding that:
Greek-speaking Christians who read that version saw, read, and used the Name exactly as all of Jehovah's faithful servants did before Christ.
I will not be able to respond to future long posts in this manner. Please keep your subject matter smaller. It also doesn't allow me to explain anything thoroughly.
My posts do not depend on yours as long as I talk about the topic on your thread. I won't post just for you. Sorry if that bothers you, but we are giving information to the world, whoever read this thread, so you must be ready for what you'll say or answer to defend your point of view or reject others'. The world is watching ... and God and Jesus too. ;)

Did you know that Matthew wrote his gospel originally in Hebrew and it was later translated to Greek (probably by himself) ?

This is some interesting info I got from my teachers:

Originally Written in Hebrew. External evidence to the effect that Matthew originally wrote this Gospel in Hebrew reaches as far back as Papias of Hierapolis, of the second century C.E. Eusebius quoted Papias as stating: “Matthew collected the oracles in the Hebrew language.” (The Ecclesiastical History, III, XXXIX, 16) Early in the third century, Origen made reference to Matthew’s account and, in discussing the four Gospels, is quoted by Eusebius as saying that the “first was written . . . according to Matthew, who was once a tax-collector but afterwards an apostle of Jesus Christ, . . . in the Hebrew language.” (The Ecclesiastical History, VI, XXV, 3-6) The scholar Jerome (of the fourth and fifth centuries C.E.) wrote in his work De viris inlustribus (Concerning Illustrious Men), chapter III, that Matthew “composed a Gospel of Christ in Judaea in the Hebrew language and characters for the benefit of those of the circumcision who had believed. . . . Moreover, the Hebrew itself is preserved to this day in the library at Caesarea, which the martyr Pamphilus so diligently collected.”—Translation from the Latin text edited by E. C. Richardson and published in the series “Texte und Untersuchungen zur Geschichte der altchristlichen Literatur,” Leipzig, 1896, Vol. 14, pp. 8, 9. (Insight/Matthew,Good News According to)

So, again: do you think Jesus mentioned God's name in his responses to Satan's temptations (Matt.4) ?

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #16

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Eloi wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:03 pm
Ross wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:50 pm
My posts do not depend on yours as long as I talk about the topic on your thread. I won't post just for you. Sorry if that bothers you, but we are giving information to the world, whoever read this thread, so you must be ready for what you'll say or answer to defend your point of view or reject others'. The world is watching ... and God and Jesus too. ;)

Did you know that Matthew wrote his gospel originally in Hebrew and it was later translated to Greek (probably by himself) ?

This is some interesting info I got from my teachers:

Originally Written in Hebrew. External evidence to the effect that Matthew originally wrote this Gospel in Hebrew reaches as far back as Papias of Hierapolis, of the second century C.E. Eusebius quoted Papias as stating: “Matthew collected the oracles in the Hebrew language.” (The Ecclesiastical History, III, XXXIX, 16) Early in the third century, Origen made reference to Matthew’s account and, in discussing the four Gospels, is quoted by Eusebius as saying that the “first was written . . . according to Matthew, who was once a tax-collector but afterwards an apostle of Jesus Christ, . . . in the Hebrew language.” (The Ecclesiastical History, VI, XXV, 3-6) The scholar Jerome (of the fourth and fifth centuries C.E.) wrote in his work De viris inlustribus (Concerning Illustrious Men), chapter III, that Matthew “composed a Gospel of Christ in Judaea in the Hebrew language and characters for the benefit of those of the circumcision who had believed. . . . Moreover, the Hebrew itself is preserved to this day in the library at Caesarea, which the martyr Pamphilus so diligently collected.”—Translation from the Latin text edited by E. C. Richardson and published in the series “Texte und Untersuchungen zur Geschichte der altchristlichen Literatur,” Leipzig, 1896, Vol. 14, pp. 8, 9. (Insight/Matthew,Good News According to)

So, again: do you think Jesus mentioned God's name in his responses to Satan's temptations (Matt.4) ?
Matthew was supposedly a tax collector, and the common people of Jerusalem spoke Aramaic. The church of the East bible was written in Aramaic and called the Peshitta bible. The oldest discovered writing of the bible was the currently silver scroll found in Jerusalem with the use of YHWH. http://www.peshitta.org/initial/peshitt ... 0Disciples.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #17

Post by Diogenes »

"The consensus within biblical scholarship, although not universal, is that the Old Testament of the Peshitta was translated into Syriac from Biblical Hebrew, probably in the 2nd century AD, and that the New Testament of the Peshitta was translated from the Greek, probably in the early 5th century."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshitta

If there's a more fouled up and dishonest version of Christianity than the JW's, I'd like to know what it is.
Some of the membership of that hopelessly twisted church are fine and gentle people despite their goofy ideas and the total and complete refutation of their 'end of the world predictions and Young Earth Creationism.

An entire troop of them visited me once in my home because of something I wrote. They were polite and I enjoyed teaching them. :) They had ZERO answers for my instruction. I don't know of a group easier to debate, unless it is the Mormons. :) Mormons seldom know their own history. The most boring two hours in my life were spent at a Mormon service. A local judge, a Mormon, wanted me to go with him so he could get a better seat for the presentation of some high muckety-muck from Salt Lake.

The other Morman I knew well was a fellow law student. He eventually became a United States Senator. But while in law school I inadvertently caught him cheating on a test by copying my work. Mormons are very polite too. He apologized profusely. :)

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #18

Post by 2timothy316 »

Ross wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:45 am
2timothy316 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:28 am This question has been brought to this board many times. The official reason can be found here.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1001070205
Sorry but I don't read links to propaganda or long posts.
Sorry, I don't reply to those that refuse information or learn about the subject they are wanting to debate.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Eloi »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:56 pm (...) If there's a more fouled up and dishonest version of Christianity than the JW's, I'd like to know what it is. (...)
Enmarking for the Staff Members to see well.

otseng
Savant

Post #20

Post by otseng »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:56 pm If there's a more fouled up and dishonest version of Christianity than the JW's, I'd like to know what it is.
Moderator Comment

It's best not to describe any group as fouled up and dishonest.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.