Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Genesis 22:1-2 God Lies To Abraham.

Post #1

Post by Miles »

The setup:

Genesis 22:1-2
22 After these things God decided to test Abraham’s faith. God said to him, “Abraham!”

And he said, “Yes!”

2 Then God said, “Take your son to the land of Moriah and kill your son there as a sacrifice for me. This must be Isaac, your only son, the one you love. Use him as a burnt offering on one of the mountains there. I will tell you which mountain.

The lie:

God told Abraham he wanted him to sacrifice his son Isaac, which god actually didn't want at all. All god really wanted was for Abraham to honestly attempt to sacrifice Isaac so as to prove his faith. God knew that if Abraham was about to truly carry out the deed He would stop him before it could happen. And if Abraham never attempted to sacrifice his son, Isaac would live on anyway. So, either way god had no intention of letting Isaac die, although the lie he told Abraham led the old man to believe this was exactly what would happen if he was to prove his faith to god.

Now, one may pass this off as a white-lie or even a justified lie, but the way I look at it a lie is a lie is a lie. Why? Because when people claim god never lies they never qualify it, ever; therefore all lies are admissible. So just as the Bible shows that god makes mistakes it also shows he lies. So: Nobody's perfect, or are they?

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Re: Genesis 22:1-2 God Lies To Abraham.

Post #2

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Miles wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:21 pm .

The setup:

22 After these things God decided to test Abraham’s faith. God said to him, “Abraham!”

And he said, “Yes!”

2 Then God said, “Take your son to the land of Moriah and kill your son there as a sacrifice for me. This must be Isaac, your only son, the one you love. Use him as a burnt offering on one of the mountains there. I will tell you which mountain.

The lie:

God told Abraham he wanted him to sacrifice his son Isaac, which god actually didn't want at all. All god really wanted was for Abraham to honestly attempt to sacrifice Isaac so as to prove his faith. God knew that if Abraham was about to truly carry out the deed He would stop him before it could happen. And if Abraham never attempted to sacrifice his son, Isaac would live on anyway. So, either way god had no intention of letting Isaac die, although the lie he told Abraham led the old man to believe this was exactly what would happen if he was to prove his faith to god.

Now, one may pass this off as a white-lie or even a justified lie, but the way I look at it a lie is a lie is a lie. Why? Because when people claim god never lies they never qualify it, ever; therefore all lies are admissible. So just as the Bible shows that god makes mistakes it also shows he lies. So: Nobody's perfect, or are they?

Hebrews 11 says this "17 By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had embraced the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, 18 even though God had said to him, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.” 19 Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead, and so in a manner of speaking he did receive Isaac back from death."

Notice what I have bolded... It seems that this is up for different interpretation then what is given in the OP.
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:48 pm

The setup:

And he said, “Yes!”

The lie:

Hebrews 11 says this "17 By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had embraced the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, 18 even though God had said to him, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.” 19 Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead, and so in a manner of speaking he did receive Isaac back from death."

Notice what I have bolded... It seems that this is up for different interpretation then what is given in the OP.
It certainly does put a kink in the story. It implies that god's test was no real test at all. God, being omniscient, would have known that Abraham had no reason to fear losing Isaac and would go along with god's the little drama as if it was a sincere test. Like, who's fooling whom here? In any case, god did tell a lie. Although, more and more it sounds as if the whole thing was a fictional event. All of which raises the question of which account, Genesis 22:1-2 or Hebrews 11:17, should one subscribe to? Personally, I'm picking the Genesis account, but only because it's the one I've grown up with.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Miles wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:53 pm
Shem Yoshi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:48 pm

The setup:

And he said, “Yes!”

The lie:

It certainly does put a kink in the story. It implies that god's test was no real test at all. God, being omniscient, would have known that Abraham had no reason to fear losing Isaac and would go along with god's the little drama as if it was a sincere test. Like, who's fooling whom here? In any case, god did tell a lie. Although, more and more it sounds as if the whole thing was a fictional event. All of which raises the question of which account, Genesis 22:1-2 or Hebrews 11:17, should one subscribe to? Personally, I'm picking the Genesis account, but only because it's the one I've grown up with.

I should like to see the whole context of that (Paul writing to the 'Hebrews'?) but changing his mind about killing someone is hardly equivalent to resurrection. If it was, the Gospel resurrections (Son of Nain, Jairus' daughter, Lazarus and Jesus) would be no more than "Meh...so what?"

brunumb
Savant

Post #5

Post by brunumb »

Does the story of Abraham and Isaac have a message for the people?
Maybe.

"Listen up people. God told Abraham to kill his son. Even though it would have been the hardest thing on earth for him to do, Abraham obeyed and was prepared to do whatever God asked of him. As we priests are God's spokesmen here on earth, you should also do whatever we ask you to do in his name, no matter how hard you might find it. Now, we are getting hungry and God says you should bring us lunch."
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:21 pm ....

God told Abraham he wanted him to sacrifice his son Isaac, which god actually didn't want at all....
God doesn't say in the Bible that He wants... ...He says "take your son...

There really is no lie in that.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:02 am

God told Abraham he wanted him to sacrifice his son Isaac, which god actually didn't want at all....
According to the story, God said "Take your son to the land of Moriah and kill your son there as a sacrifice for me."

The author couldn't make it any clearer.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:24 pm

According to the story, God said "Take your son to the land of Moriah and kill your son there as a sacrifice for me."

Tcg
If the author would have wanted to say "God wants him to sacrifice", he would have said so, instead of "take your son...". They are not necessary the same. Also, even if we would accept it means God wants, how can you say God didn't want at all? Preventing it to happen doesn't necessary mean God didn't want it at all.

Sorry, I think you are reading to much of your own to the story.

brunumb
Savant

Post #9

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:52 am

Tcg
If the author would have wanted to say "God wants him to sacrifice", he would have said so, instead of "take your son...". They are not necessary the same. Also, even if we would accept it means God wants, how can you say God didn't want at all? Preventing it to happen doesn't necessary mean God didn't want it at all.

What part of "kill your son there as a sacrifice for me" is not clear to you? Good grief. :?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:52 am

Tcg

Reading into the story? I simply quoted from the story that which you cut out. Let's see, who is trying to change the story? One who cuts it apart or one who quotes the full phrase?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom