Please prove that the Bible is true and is God's Word

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

Please prove that the Bible is true and is God's Word

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

Christians believe that the Bible is true and is God's Word. Can anyone please prove that the Bible is true and is God's Word? Thank you.

Savant

Re: Please prove that the Bible is true and is God's Word

Post #231

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:41 am ...
But when you get down to the nitty-gritty, what determines your wants?
My wants are determined by what I think is good, they are based on reasoning.
brunumb wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:41 am Tests have shown that your brain has made decisions before you are actually conscious of making them. Look it up.
My brains have not been in a such dubious test. :D

Savant

Post #232

Post by 1213 »

Compassionist wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:44 am I think about suicide every few seconds. The reason I haven't killed myself yet is because it will harm my family. Also, what I want to do is prevent my existence which would spare me all the suffering, injustice and death. Sadly I can't prevent my existence. What I want is determined by the laws of physics which determines the genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences that make me who I am. Wanting things does not prove free will. It simply proves that biological organisms have desires which are determined by their genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences which are themselves determined by the laws of physics acting on molecules...
I think it is good, if you don't kill yourself. However, if your desires are after all defined by something else than you, then they are not your will or desires. I think wanting things means that person has will. And I think all people can freely decide what they want, which is why I think they have free will.
Compassionist wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:44 amYou said that you disagreed with what I said: "I think that the Biblical God is imaginary and evil. I think this because of all the inaccuracies in the Bible and all the atrocities committed by God and his followers in the Bible. First, you need to prove that God is real. Then you need to prove that God is all-knowing and all-powerful. Then you need to prove that the Bible is God's word. Then you need to prove that the Bible is true. Then you need to prove that God is good." What is the basis for your disagreement?...
I don't see any intelligent reason to say God is evil, or just imaginary.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #233

Post by TRANSPONDER »

That's irrelevant. of course you are not going to 'see' the evidence that's in front of you. But how are you going to show that Your god is not imaginary or that the god as depicted in the bible is not evil? So as to persuade someone with a still -open mind, let alone some who already disbelieves?

Compassionist
Guru

Post #234

Post by Compassionist »

1213 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:22 am
brunumb wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:41 am ...
But when you get down to the nitty-gritty, what determines your wants?
My wants are determined by what I think is good, they are based on reasoning.
brunumb wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:41 am Tests have shown that your brain has made decisions before you are actually conscious of making them. Look it up.
My brains have not been in a such dubious test. :D
Your values and thinking processes are dependent on the activities of your neurons which are in turn dependent on your genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences. Do you truly think that you are free from these factors?

Please see https://www.nature.com/articles/news.2008.751 to learn about how brain activity predicts decisions before they are consciously made.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #235

Post by Compassionist »

1213 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:22 am
Compassionist wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:44 am I think about suicide every few seconds. The reason I haven't killed myself yet is because it will harm my family. Also, what I want to do is prevent my existence which would spare me all the suffering, injustice and death. Sadly I can't prevent my existence. What I want is determined by the laws of physics which determines the genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences that make me who I am. Wanting things does not prove free will. It simply proves that biological organisms have desires which are determined by their genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences which are themselves determined by the laws of physics acting on molecules...
I think it is good, if you don't kill yourself. However, if your desires are after all defined by something else than you, then they are not your will or desires. I think wanting things means that person has will. And I think all people can freely decide what they want, which is why I think they have free will.
Compassionist wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:44 amYou said that you disagreed with what I said: "I think that the Biblical God is imaginary and evil. I think this because of all the inaccuracies in the Bible and all the atrocities committed by God and his followers in the Bible. First, you need to prove that God is real. Then you need to prove that God is all-knowing and all-powerful. Then you need to prove that the Bible is God's word. Then you need to prove that the Bible is true. Then you need to prove that God is good." What is the basis for your disagreement?...
I don't see any intelligent reason to say God is evil, or just imaginary.
Yes, we have wills but our wills are not free from our genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences. Our wills are determined by them. What evidence do you have to prove the existence of a will that is free from determinants? Also, what evidence do you have to prove the existence of a will that is free from the laws of physics? I have never said that we don't have a will. I have said that we have a constrained will because our will is constrained and determined by our genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences.

If God was real and good why didn't he prevent all suffering, injustices, and deaths? Why is the Bible full of inaccuracies and contradictions and atrocities if God is real and good and authored the Bible? Did you look at https://www.evilbible.com and http://skepticsannotatedbible.com ? If God is real and good why are 99.9% of all the species to exist on Earth so far already extinct? If God is real and good why are there design flaws https://nautil.us/top-10-design-flaws-i ... ody-235403 in human bodies? It's possible that God is real and evil and that's why things are the way they are. It's also possible that God is imaginary and evil.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #236

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #89]

I would not bet my life that everything in Genesis is false. I think it is very likely that Abraham existed and Sarah. I see no reason to disbelieve they were real humans.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #237

Post by JoeyKnothead »

AquinasForGod wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:15 am [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #89]
I would not bet my life that everything in Genesis is false. I think it is very likely that Abraham existed and Sarah. I see no reason to disbelieve they were real humans.
Sure, as a matter of humans existing, and having names and such, there's a plausibility open to belief.

The issue for me is in the proving other related claims about em.

Considering so, so much of the story of Genesis can't be confirmed is reason enough to question any claims it may present.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #238

Post by TRANSPONDER »

AquinasForGod wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:15 am [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #89]

I wouldn't bet my life on Jesus not being real, or indeed I might risk a bet on his being real and doing a lot of things the gospel says. But I would bet my life on nothing he is supposed to have said was what he really did say, or than any of the supernatural claims are true miracles, though they could have been faked.

In light of which is doesn't matter much whether Abraham and Sarah existed or not, does it? It's why I don't bother with the OT much, because it is irrelevant.
Last edited by TRANSPONDER on Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #239

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:01 am
Sure, as a matter of humans existing, and having names and such, there's a plausibility open to belief.

The issue for me is in the proving other related claims about em.

Considering so, so much of the story of Genesis can't be confirmed is reason enough to question any claims it may present.
Exactly. Our pal A4G is doing it wrong again - if you can't be 100% certain (so as to bet your life on it) it is a valid claim.

No. It does not work like that. Quite apart from evidence and the burden of proof, take courtroom cases 'Clean hands' means that if your story is found to be a crock about the order of creation, Flood and Ark not being feasible and the ancestors of the various nations passed off as sons of Noah, then the rest of the story is regarded as dubious, especially if it makes dubious claims.

It's Faithbased thinking that makes it wrong and illogical from the start - it isn't a case of being 100% sure that the skeptical view is right but why, when so much evidence is against it, we should believe any of it. The Believers simply do not understand the way reason and rational logic works.

It's why Kalam fails and all the use of 'Philosophy' doesn't help them. As was said: a logically sound construct fails if the parameters are invalid. Starting with Godfaith as the premise invalidates pretty much all the Bibleclaims.

Savant

Post #240

Post by 1213 »

Compassionist wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:52 pm Your values and thinking processes are dependent on the activities of your neurons which are in turn dependent on your genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences. Do you truly think that you are free from these factors?

Please see https://www.nature.com/articles/news.2008.751 to learn about how brain activity predicts decisions before they are consciously made.
I believe people have body and soul/spirit. And I think brains are the mediator system that connects soul to body. And I think the thinking actually happens in that higher soul/spirit level and its decisions are transmitted to body through brains that also transfer data to the higher level. If there is for example damage to brain, it can affect to that connection and cause problems. But, I don't believe it rules what person wants. It may rule what person can do, but not what person can want.

"By looking at brain activity while making a decision, the researchers could predict what choice people would make before they themselves were even aware of having made a decision."

I don't think they can measure such things accurately and reliably.