Please prove that the Bible is true and is God's Word

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

Please prove that the Bible is true and is God's Word

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

Christians believe that the Bible is true and is God's Word. Can anyone please prove that the Bible is true and is God's Word? Thank you.

Savant

Re: Please prove that the Bible is true and is God's Word

Post #241

Post by 1213 »

Compassionist wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:02 pm ...Also, what evidence do you have to prove the existence of a will that is free from the laws of physics? I have never said that we don't have a will. I have said that we have a constrained will because our will is constrained and determined by our genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences.
How is what I want restricted by any physical matter? If you can't say how those restrict what I want, then I think there is no intelligent reason to believe they restrict what I want. Can you say something that I can't want, because of some physical thing?
Compassionist wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:02 pm If God was real and good why didn't he prevent all suffering, injustices, and deaths?
If we believe what the Bible tells, everything was good, before people rejected God and were expelled to this first death. And, people were expelled, because they wanted to know evil. Now we have a chance to know it. Luckily this "life" is like the virtual reality in the movie Matrix. Nothing of this world can destroy our souls, which is the important thing in Biblical point of view. So, my answer to that question is, I believe God allows those things, because people wanted to know evil.
Compassionist wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:02 pmWhy is the Bible full of inaccuracies and contradictions and atrocities ...
Sorry, I don't think that is true.

But, Bible is written and copied and translated by humans. It would not be a miracle, if there would be some mistakes.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #242

Post by Compassionist »

1213 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:16 am
Compassionist wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:02 pm ...Also, what evidence do you have to prove the existence of a will that is free from the laws of physics? I have never said that we don't have a will. I have said that we have a constrained will because our will is constrained and determined by our genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences.
How is what I want restricted by any physical matter? If you can't say how those restrict what I want, then I think there is no intelligent reason to believe they restrict what I want. Can you say something that I can't want, because of some physical thing?
Compassionist wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:02 pm If God was real and good why didn't he prevent all suffering, injustices, and deaths?
If we believe what the Bible tells, everything was good, before people rejected God and were expelled to this first death. And, people were expelled, because they wanted to know evil. Now we have a chance to know it. Luckily this "life" is like the virtual reality in the movie Matrix. Nothing of this world can destroy our souls, which is the important thing in Biblical point of view. So, my answer to that question is, I believe God allows those things, because people wanted to know evil.
Compassionist wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:02 pmWhy is the Bible full of inaccuracies and contradictions and atrocities ...
Sorry, I don't think that is true.

But, Bible is written and copied and translated by humans. It would not be a miracle, if there would be some mistakes.
What you want is not free from your genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences. Even your thoughts are not free from these groups of variables and the laws of physics. Can you want what I wanted five minutes ago?

The Bible is not proven to be true. Have you looked at https://www.evilbible.com and http://skepticsannotatedbible.com ? How can something so full of inaccuracies and contradictions be true? It's impossible. As you can see from the two websites, the Bible is full of examples of God's atrocities.

According to the Bible Adam and Eve allegedly ate from the forbidden tree. Why didn't God make Adam and Eve and all the other organisms and all the angels equally all-knowing and all-powerful? No one can harm all-knowing and all-powerful beings. So, everyone could have lived happily ever after.

Why punish all living things for the mistake of Adam and Eve? How is that just? Only an evil God would punish trillions of organisms for the mistake of two humans.

Every two minutes a mum dies due to pregnancy/labour - the foetus/baby often dies along with the mum. This figure used to be even higher but thanks to our science and technology the death rate is reducing. This happens because the Biblical God allegedly punished Eve and all her daughters with painful childbirth. This is another reason I think God is evil.

You spoke of the soul. Can you prove it is real?

Compassionist
Guru

Post #243

Post by Compassionist »

1213 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:15 am
Compassionist wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:52 pm Your values and thinking processes are dependent on the activities of your neurons which are in turn dependent on your genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences. Do you truly think that you are free from these factors?

Please see https://www.nature.com/articles/news.2008.751 to learn about how brain activity predicts decisions before they are consciously made.
I believe people have body and soul/spirit. And I think brains are the mediator system that connects soul to body. And I think the thinking actually happens in that higher soul/spirit level and its decisions are transmitted to body through brains that also transfer data to the higher level. If there is for example damage to brain, it can affect to that connection and cause problems. But, I don't believe it rules what person wants. It may rule what person can do, but not what person can want.

"By looking at brain activity while making a decision, the researchers could predict what choice people would make before they themselves were even aware of having made a decision."

I don't think they can measure such things accurately and reliably.
What evidence do you have for the existence and the nature of soul/spirit? Can you want what I wanted two minutes ago?

You quoted "By looking at brain activity while making a decision, the researchers could predict what choice people would make before they themselves were even aware of having made a decision." and claimed that such things can't be measured accurately. Can you prove this claim? I have taken part in various neurological experiments and I assure you we can measure accurately. There is no need to take my word for it. You can study neuroscience and do the experiments yourself.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #244

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:28 am
1213 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:15 am
Compassionist wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:52 pm Your values and thinking processes are dependent on the activities of your neurons which are in turn dependent on your genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences. Do you truly think that you are free from these factors?

Please see https://www.nature.com/articles/news.2008.751 to learn about how brain activity predicts decisions before they are consciously made.
I believe people have body and soul/spirit. And I think brains are the mediator system that connects soul to body. And I think the thinking actually happens in that higher soul/spirit level and its decisions are transmitted to body through brains that also transfer data to the higher level. If there is for example damage to brain, it can affect to that connection and cause problems. But, I don't believe it rules what person wants. It may rule what person can do, but not what person can want.

"By looking at brain activity while making a decision, the researchers could predict what choice people would make before they themselves were even aware of having made a decision."

I don't think they can measure such things accurately and reliably.
What evidence do you have for the existence and the nature of soul/spirit? Can you want what I wanted two minutes ago?

You quoted "By looking at brain activity while making a decision, the researchers could predict what choice people would make before they themselves were even aware of having made a decision." and claimed that such things can't be measured accurately. Can you prove this claim? I have taken part in various neurological experiments and I assure you we can measure accurately. There is no need to take my word for it. You can study neuroscience and do the experiments yourself.
what I have seen of the Other side -case is 'I believe this; I claim that. Never mind the evidence, i don't believe the results of science'. It's terrible poor as apologetics.

brunumb
Savant

Post #245

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:16 am If we believe what the Bible tells, everything was good, before people rejected God and were expelled to this first death.
If everything was good, why was an evil and deceitful serpent allowed in the garden to seduce a pair of ignorant and innocent human? That was not good.

People did not reject God. Adam and Eve (allegedly) disobeyed God, but that is not the same as rejection. If a parent tells their children not to eat a cookie, but the children are convinced to go ahead and do it, have they rejected their parents and therefore deserve being kicked out of their home to die?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #246

Post by Compassionist »

brunumb wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:23 pm
1213 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:16 am If we believe what the Bible tells, everything was good, before people rejected God and were expelled to this first death.
If everything was good, why was an evil and deceitful serpent allowed in the garden to seduce a pair of ignorant and innocent human? That was not good.

People did not reject God. Adam and Eve (allegedly) disobeyed God, but that is not the same as rejection. If a parent tells their children not to eat a cookie, but the children are convinced to go ahead and do it, have they rejected their parents and therefore deserve being kicked out of their home to die?
I agree with you totally. What God did in the Bible is much worse. He kicked out Adam and Eve and all the other living things from Eden. He condemned all the descendants of Adam and Eve and the other organisms, too. He punished Eve and all her daughters with painful childbirth. Every two minutes a mum dies due to pregnancy/labour - the foetus/baby often dies along with the mum. This figure used to be even higher but thanks to our science and technology the death rate is reducing. This happens because the Biblical God allegedly punished Eve and all her daughters with painful childbirth. The Biblical God is utterly evil.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #247

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:11 pm
brunumb wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:23 pm

I agree with you totally. What God did in the Bible is much worse. He kicked out Adam and Eve and all the other living things from Eden. He condemned all the descendants of Adam and Eve and the other organisms, too. He punished Eve and all her daughters with painful childbirth. Every two minutes a mum dies due to pregnancy/labour - the foetus/baby often dies along with the mum. This figure used to be even higher but thanks to our science and technology the death rate is reducing. This happens because the Biblical God allegedly punished Eve and all her daughters with painful childbirth. The Biblical God is utterly evil.
Agreed. quite apart from the topic - excusing the whole Eden thing is doing nothing to prove the Bible God's word, but at best, wave away arguments why it isn't, the whole thing is a stitch -up. Uncannily like the way the Crucifixion (if you believe it as written) is evidence that Jesus never dies and the body was removed from the tomb, Eden (if you believe it as written after the shambles of the order of creation) is deliberately set up to make sure that man would fall and bring down all of creation with him...there had to be Sin - death and animal wickedness brought into the world as T rex teeth absolutely were not well Designed for a vegetarian diet.

No wonder some Christians regard Eden as mythical. And then relapse in the warm Fug of Faith and don't wonder (as we goddless do) where then Sin came from and why we have it?

God gave it to us. Sure Apologists can excuse it as only the potential to sin because free will was necessary as God doesn't want robots.....ah well, with my Theist hat on I can come up with excuses. Just so long as Eden isn't taken literally, as there is no excuse (fingers in ear denial is not an excuse) for what is a frame - up.

And yeah...why not, though the vid is rather bowdlerised these days.
... ah, google Dark matter...if man obeyed god. maybe you'll find the Uncensored version.

Savant

Post #248

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:23 pm If everything was good, why was an evil and deceitful serpent allowed in the garden to seduce a pair of ignorant and innocent human? That was not good.
They had brains and could think reasonable. For some reason they decided not to believe God, but instead the serpent they just met. I think the serpent was only exploiting what the woman anyway wanted. And man was just too weak to resist woman's will. I think the serpent was just an excuse for the woman. I think it was not bad to allow the serpent be there. It was stupid from the people not to ask from God first, "what does this mean, we just met this serpent guy who speaks weird stuff".
brunumb wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:23 pmPeople did not reject God. Adam and Eve (allegedly) disobeyed God, but that is not the same as rejection. If a parent tells their children not to eat a cookie, but the children are convinced to go ahead and do it, have they rejected their parents and therefore deserve being kicked out of their home to die?
They rejected God by not believing Him and instead believed the serpent that spoke what they wanted to hear.

It was simple rule, eat the fruit and start dying. But, I don't think that is a problem, because God has prepared way back to Him for those who learn well and are righteous.

Savant

Post #249

Post by 1213 »

Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 am What you want is not free from your genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences. Even your thoughts are not free from these groups of variables and the laws of physics. Can you want what I wanted five minutes ago?
Yes, I would, if I would want so. There is nothing outside me that could prevent it, except God.
Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 amThe Bible is not proven to be true. Have you looked at https://www.evilbible.com and http://skepticsannotatedbible.com ? How can something so full of inaccuracies and contradictions be true? It's impossible. As you can see from the two websites, the Bible is full of examples of God's atrocities.
I have not seen any reasonable case in such places. But, I would like to hear, what do you think is the biggest/worst error or contradiction in the Bible?
Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 amAccording to the Bible Adam and Eve allegedly ate from the forbidden tree. Why didn't God make Adam and Eve and all the other organisms and all the angels equally all-knowing and all-powerful? No one can harm all-knowing and all-powerful beings. So, everyone could have lived happily ever after.
For in much wisdom is much grief; and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ecc. 1:18
Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 amWhy punish all living things for the mistake of Adam and Eve? How is that just? Only an evil God would punish trillions of organisms for the mistake of two humans.
So, you think this "life" is a punishment? I don't think everyone is punished because of Adam and Eve.
Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 amEvery two minutes a mum dies due to pregnancy/labour - the foetus/baby often dies along with the mum. This figure used to be even higher but thanks to our science and technology the death rate is reducing. This happens because the Biblical God allegedly punished Eve and all her daughters with painful childbirth. This is another reason I think God is evil.
But if this life is bad and punishment, why people try to make it longer?
Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 amYou spoke of the soul. Can you prove it is real?
I can't prove anything real.

brunumb
Savant

Post #250

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:27 am
brunumb wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:23 pm If everything was good, why was an evil and deceitful serpent allowed in the garden to seduce a pair of ignorant and innocent human? That was not good.
They had brains and could think reasonable. For some reason they decided not to believe God, but instead the serpent they just met. I think the serpent was only exploiting what the woman anyway wanted. And man was just too weak to resist woman's will. I think the serpent was just an excuse for the woman. I think it was not bad to allow the serpent be there. It was stupid from the people not to ask from God first, "what does this mean, we just met this serpent guy who speaks weird stuff".
You have no way of knowing if anything you said actually happened. That's just you making stuff up to suit your biases. That said, it was stupid of God to allow the serpent in the garden and negligent of him not to intervene while the serpent seduced the hapless couple. This all eventuated in the destruction of the world. Some afterthought with God cloning himself to get killed and provide redemption is thoroughly ridiculous and unworthy of an allegedly intelligent being. This God is a clown.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.