Please prove that the Bible is true and is God's Word

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

Please prove that the Bible is true and is God's Word

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

Christians believe that the Bible is true and is God's Word. Can anyone please prove that the Bible is true and is God's Word? Thank you.

Savant

Re: Please prove that the Bible is true and is God's Word

Post #261

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:30 am ...A quick Google and you would know enough that a serpent couldn't talk...
Yes, no modern serpent talks. That does not mean that the serpent in Eden could not have done that. We don't have enough information of what kind of serpent it was. And we don't even know what Eve meant when she said the serpent said something. Snakes can make voice, perhaps Eve heard it as what she claimed the serpent said.

By what we know from the Bible, there was serpent and Eve heard him saying the things. What kind of serpent it was, we don't know. You make up stuff by imagining it to be like modern serpent and that can be wrong idea, because Bible doesn't give such definition for it. Also, thinking that the serpent talked like a human, is making stuff up, because we don't know exactly what Eve heard. It is possible that it just made serpent sounds and Eve heard what she wanted to hear, because she wanted to eat the fruit.

Many Biblical stories leave lot of details open. I think there is no reason to just blindly accept atheists filling for the details as truth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #262

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:17 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:30 am ...A quick Google and you would know enough that a serpent couldn't talk...
Yes, no modern serpent talks. That does not mean that the serpent in Eden could not have done that. We don't have enough information of what kind of serpent it was. And we don't even know what Eve meant when she said the serpent said something. Snakes can make voice, perhaps Eve heard it as what she claimed the serpent said.

By what we know from the Bible, there was serpent and Eve heard him saying the things. What kind of serpent it was, we don't know. You make up stuff by imagining it to be like modern serpent and that can be wrong idea, because Bible doesn't give such definition for it. Also, thinking that the serpent talked like a human, is making stuff up, because we don't know exactly what Eve heard. It is possible that it just made serpent sounds and Eve heard what she wanted to hear, because she wanted to eat the fruit.

Many Biblical stories leave lot of details open. I think there is no reason to just blindly accept atheists filling for the details as truth.
That's brilliant. I love it. O:) I could not have written a better example of making stuff up to try to make the Bible work. Perhaps snakes could talk before the Fall or maybe it wasn't a serpent at all (if it had legs it might have been a lizard; they can't talk either) and the suggestion that Eve was a parcelmouth of some kind, understanding hissing or Gecko clicks perhaps or maybe even suggesting that Eve made it up interpreted reptile noises as telling her God was lying before she even knew about lying or God's plots.

Absolutely making stuff up, unsupported hypotheses, unworkable excuses and fantasies out of thin air without a shred of Biblical support...and apart from making no sense in terms of the story, it flies in the face of being God's truth when it doesn't (according to your suggestions) say what really happened.

Like i say perfect example of you making stuff up and then accusing me of doing it when all I did was stick to the story and what evidence we have about serpents now.

Savant

Post #263

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:10 am ... all I did was stick to the story and what evidence we have about serpents now.
No, you didn't do that. You made up stuff by making claim that the serpent was similar to modern serpents that apparently can't speak in the way humans speak. And also you make up the idea that the serpent was speaking like humans. Bible doesn't say how and what actually happened, and you make up version of it that looks impossible. I think that is biased and dishonest.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #264

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:03 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:10 am ... all I did was stick to the story and what evidence we have about serpents now.
No, you didn't do that. You made up stuff by making claim that the serpent was similar to modern serpents that apparently can't speak in the way humans speak. And also you make up the idea that the serpent was speaking like humans. Bible doesn't say how and what actually happened, and you make up version of it that looks impossible. I think that is biased and dishonest.
No, you made stuff up by assuming there must have been a snake that talked...or Eve could understand snake noises, or she just imagined it. None of which is in the Bible, the evolution books or anywhere else. You made it up.

I just said
snakes do not talk and cannot - burden of proof falls on you to show they ever could (hint - making stuff up to make the Bible work is not proof)
The Bible says...hang on... yes the serpent was more subtle than any other wild creature. You made up that Satan entered it. It is changing what the Bible says. That's not just making stuff up, that rewriting God's words, you naughty fellow :)

I know what you are doing as I've seen it before. "The Bible is true, so it must have happened somehow". But NOT assuming the Bible is true to start with means that the Eden scenario does not make sense, and making stuff up to alter the way the world works now to a fantasy world of walking, talking snakes, clean sacrificial animals before the Law was even given and Triceratops giving donkey rides to kiddies and T . Rex on a vegan diet is the stuff of fantasy, made up to make the Bible work. You are doing some of the same.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #265

Post by JoeyKnothead »

1213 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:17 am ...
I think there is no reason to just blindly accept atheists filling for the details as truth.
"I think there is no reason to just blindly accept atheists filling for the details as truth."

Sayeth the Christian.

:facepalm:
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #266

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:55 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:17 am ...
I think there is no reason to just blindly accept atheists filling for the details as truth.
"I think there is no reason to just blindly accept atheists filling for the details as truth."

Sayeth the Christian.

:facepalm:
Well there we are - we goddless say that we are doing it by reason and the Bible apologists are doing it by Faith and the Bible apologists say...whatever they need to to deny everything. As usual, the browser, if they have the faculty of discernment, must make up their own mind.

Savant

Post #267

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:48 am ...I just said snakes do not talk and cannot - burden of proof falls...
Actually, you make the claim that the serpent of Eden could not have in any way told to Eve what the Bible tells. You have the burden of proof in this case, because you are the one making a claim.

My point was only to show that the story in the Bible leaves many thing open and possible. You insist that the serpent spoke like a human, but it is possible that it made serpent voices and Eve understood it as said in the Bible. Sorry, you failed in the attempt to prove Bible wrong.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #268

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:07 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:48 am ...I just said snakes do not talk and cannot - burden of proof falls...
Actually, you make the claim that the serpent of Eden could not have in any way told to Eve what the Bible tells. You have the burden of proof in this case, because you are the one making a claim.

My point was only to show that the story in the Bible leaves many thing open and possible. You insist that the serpent spoke like a human, but it is possible that it made serpent voices and Eve understood it as said in the Bible. Sorry, you failed in the attempt to prove Bible wrong.
O:) I love you man (or maam) as you are the gift that keeps on giving, the present that is always there to be unwrapped and the anticipation that frissons my frills every time I log on and start clicking "I wonder what He's got for me this time?"

What you have for me is the reversal of burden of proof incorporating failure to recognise the material default. Which is the way the world works, functions and operates, and which is known, validated and demonstrated and is the default hypothesis. Thus snakes do not have the larynx needed to produce speech, even assuming the serpent knew Adunaic as also assuming that Eve had been born speaking it fluently.

Thus the burden of proof is on you to show that a serpent existed that could speak the local lingo and apparently had a method of locomotion other than serpentine slytherine (1), ever existed, as merely having it referenced is a frankly dubious old tome of tall stories doesn't cut it. Your effort to make a case by making stuff up, like maybe the snake could not only speak the same language that Eve could but also do it by mental transference; and in case that doesn't sound too convincing, "the Bible leaves many thing open and possible" which being Interpreted means 'there is probably some good explanation...'

The most likely one being that it is all a foolish and utterly improbable tall story and the burden of proof is squarely upon your shoulders to explain why anyone with their head in working order should credit it.

(1) I'm vaguely disappointed there was never a couple of rival dogmatic Christian groups eternally polemicising and damning each other to perdition over whether the serpent before the fall has two legs or four.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #269

Post by Compassionist »

1213 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:28 am
Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 am What you want is not free from your genes, environments, nutrients, and experiences. Even your thoughts are not free from these groups of variables and the laws of physics. Can you want what I wanted five minutes ago?
Yes, I would, if I would want so. There is nothing outside me that could prevent it, except God.
Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 amThe Bible is not proven to be true. Have you looked at https://www.evilbible.com and http://skepticsannotatedbible.com ? How can something so full of inaccuracies and contradictions be true? It's impossible. As you can see from the two websites, the Bible is full of examples of God's atrocities.
I have not seen any reasonable case in such places. But, I would like to hear, what do you think is the biggest/worst error or contradiction in the Bible?
Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 amAccording to the Bible Adam and Eve allegedly ate from the forbidden tree. Why didn't God make Adam and Eve and all the other organisms and all the angels equally all-knowing and all-powerful? No one can harm all-knowing and all-powerful beings. So, everyone could have lived happily ever after.
For in much wisdom is much grief; and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ecc. 1:18
Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 amWhy punish all living things for the mistake of Adam and Eve? How is that just? Only an evil God would punish trillions of organisms for the mistake of two humans.
So, you think this "life" is a punishment? I don't think everyone is punished because of Adam and Eve.
Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 amEvery two minutes a mum dies due to pregnancy/labour - the foetus/baby often dies along with the mum. This figure used to be even higher but thanks to our science and technology the death rate is reducing. This happens because the Biblical God allegedly punished Eve and all her daughters with painful childbirth. This is another reason I think God is evil.
But if this life is bad and punishment, why people try to make it longer?
Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 amYou spoke of the soul. Can you prove it is real?
I can't prove anything real.
I asked you to want what I wanted 2 minutes before typing that post. You failed to want it. This proves that you can not want what I wanted. Your will is not free from determinants and constraints.

Please see https://skepticsannotatedbible.com/all/ ... _list.html for a list of contradictions. I can't decide which is the biggest.

I am convinced that the Bible is false and unethical and that the Biblical God is evil and imaginary. Quoting from the Bible is not going to get you any points from me.

The Biblical God evicted Adam, Eve, all the other living things, and all of their future children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, great-great-grandchildren, and so on as punishment for eating from the forbidden tree. If this event actually happened (I am 0% convinced that it did) then it was unjust of God to punish them. God should have made all the beings he allegedly made all-knowing and all-powerful. That would have prevented all suffering, injustices, and deaths. No one and nothing can harm all-knowing and all-powerful beings.

People and other living things don't want suffering and death but life is full of suffering and death. If I had free will, I would make all living things forever happy by making all of them all-knowing and all-powerful.

If you can't prove that the soul exists why do you believe that the soul exists?

Savant

Post #270

Post by 1213 »

Compassionist wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:41 pm I asked you to want what I wanted 2 minutes before typing that post. You failed to want it. This proves that you can not want what I wanted. Your will is not free from determinants and constraints...
If I choose not to want stupid things, it does not mean I could not do so, if I would want it.
Compassionist wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:41 pm...God should have made all the beings he allegedly made all-knowing and all-powerful. That would have prevented all suffering, injustices,...
I don't believe that.
Compassionist wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:41 pm....
If you can't prove that the soul exists why do you believe that the soul exists?
What do you think a soul is?