Please prove that souls exist and that they are either resurrected or reincarnated

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

Please prove that souls exist and that they are either resurrected or reincarnated

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

Most religions claim that souls exist. Some religions claim that souls are immortal and are reincarnated after the death of the body while other religions claim that souls are immortal and are resurrected after the death of the body. Can anyone please prove that souls exist and are either resurrected or reincarnated? Thank you.

SlingShot
Student

Re: Please prove that souls exist and that they are either resurrected or reincarnated

Post #41

Post by SlingShot »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:32 am
Compassionist wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:45 am
SlingShot wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:38 pm "Parts of the brain may still be alive after a person’s brain activity is said to have flatlined."

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn ... ing-brain/

That very well may be true, but undetectable. Reality is once the neocortex is dead most consider the person brain dead. Your point is well taken because there may be parts of the brain that an EEG doesn't record.
I agree. As the EEG cap is worn on the scalp, it can't record activities from deeper regions of the brain. So, even when there is no brain activity in the uppermost region of the brain, there can still be activities in the lower regions.
Which would indicate those who experience "near death" weren't as near to it as they thought.

Death is an irreversible process by which once being it, folks stick to it like honey on a biscuit.

If someone has a better definition, I ain't aware of it.
I disagree, they would be considered dead. You are making an assumption that can't be supported. People have returned from death and it has been proven. Just as it can't be conclusively proven that the spirit or soul after death.

Compassionist
Guru

Re: Please prove that souls exist and that they are either resurrected or reincarnated

Post #42

Post by Compassionist »

SlingShot wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:29 pm
SlingShot wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:38 pm "Parts of the brain may still be alive after a person’s brain activity is said to have flatlined."

That very well may be true, but undetectable. Reality is once the neocortex is dead most consider the person brain dead. Your point is well taken because there may be parts of the brain that an EEG doesn't record.
I agree. As the EEG cap is worn on the scalp, it can't record activities from deeper regions of the brain. So, even when there is no brain activity in the uppermost region of the brain, there can still be activities in the lower regions.
Which would indicate those who experience "near death" weren't as near to it as they thought.

Death is an irreversible process by which once being it, folks stick to it like honey on a biscuit.

I disagree, they would be considered dead. You are making an assumption that can't be supported. People have returned from death and it has been proven. Just as it can't be conclusively proven that the spirit or soul after death.
Has there been any case of near-death-experiences in people whose brains were inside a functional MRI scanner when death was induced through deep hypothermic circulatory arrest? Then we could see if there are any brain activities while the near-death-experience is occurring. Have you read this research paper? https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=4246760

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #43

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:32 am Which would indicate those who experience "near death" weren't as near to it as they thought.

I disagree, they would be considered dead. You are making an assumption that can't be supported. People have returned from death and it has been proven.
The assumption I make is that words mean things.

Death is not the controversial term here. That controversy is from using "near death" as a synonym for "death".

As to "proven", I asked you for such evidence and the best you could do is offer a link to a website - you didn't even have the courtesy of wishing me luck finding what you consider evidence within that site.
Just as it can't be conclusively proven that the spirit or soul after death. (sic)
Such is a problem for the claimant.

My sole claim in this matter is that dead folks ain't "near" it, they are it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Compassionist
Guru

Post #44

Post by Compassionist »

SlingShot wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:27 pm [Replying to brunumb in post #23]

You are correct, if there is absolutely no brain activity the person is clinically dead. You haven't done sufficient case studies to substantiate your opinion. Please give me the case studies of individuals that were clinically dead and returned to life and the errors in their stories and those of the medical professionals that treated them.

I suggest beginning with Dr. Eben Alexander’s NDE, it is referred to as near death but his brain was clinically dead.
Please see https://www.skeptic.com/insight/proof-of-heaven/

Compassionist
Guru

Post #45

Post by Compassionist »

Please see

if you want to learn more about NDEs.

SlingShot
Student

Post #46

Post by SlingShot »

Compassionist wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:33 pm

e]

Has there been any case of near-death-experiences in people whose brains were inside a functional MRI scanner when death was induced through deep hypothermic circulatory arrest? Then we could see if there are any brain activities while the near-death-experience is occurring. Have you read this research paper? https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=4246760
That is a very interesting question. I doubt if an MRI is going to be requested after a call is made that the patient is dead. I suppose if you knew the moment a person was dying and put them in an MRI you could see the brain activity as it dies.
My interest in this subject began in Vietnam in the late 60s, as a combat medic there was always a distinct feeling that the spirit left the body at the time of death, and sometimes actually before death. Unfortunately, I had plenty of opportunities to experience it. Of course, that can't be proven but those experiences began a lifelong interest in the subject. I do attempt to look at both sides of this subject, but as I have already stated I lean more towards soul and spirit being separate from the physical body. The other aspect is the claimed out-of-body experiences where people are able to describe activities, they had no way of knowing at the time of their experience. Let's be honest, if you are going to study a subject like this, I would think one needs to attempt to put presuppositions behind and look at both sides with an open mind.

SlingShot
Student

Post #47

Post by SlingShot »

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=4246760
As for the papers.ssrn.com, the patients went through cardiac arrest and there was still brain activity so the dying brain theory is a strong argument in these cases. Personally, I'm convinced a person doesn't need to be brain dead to have an out of body experience because there are hundreds of cases where the patient claims to have been out of their body. The consistency of these testimonies is also a very compelling argument. If these patients did actually have an out of body experience, then to me that supports soul and spirit being separate of the body.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #48

Post by Compassionist »

SlingShot wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:52 pm

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=4246760
As for the papers.ssrn.com, the patients went through cardiac arrest and there was still brain activity so the dying brain theory is a strong argument in these cases. Personally, I'm convinced a person doesn't need to be brain dead to have an out of body experience because there are hundreds of cases where the patient claims to have been out of their body. The consistency of these testimonies is also a very compelling argument. If these patients did actually have an out of body experience, then to me that supports soul and spirit being separate of the body.
Out-of-body experiences can be triggered by spinning a person. NASA spun jet fighter pilots in centrifuges and they experienced features of out-of-body experience and near-death-experience. Out-of-body experiences can also be triggered by stimulating parts of the brain with electrodes. Here is an interesting video:

Clownboat
Savant

Post #49

Post by Clownboat »

SlingShot wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:52 pm As for the papers.ssrn.com, the patients went through cardiac arrest and there was still brain activity so the dying brain theory is a strong argument in these cases. Personally, I'm convinced a person doesn't need to be brain dead to have an out of body experience because there are hundreds of cases where the patient claims to have been out of their body. The consistency of these testimonies is also a very compelling argument. If these patients did actually have an out of body experience, then to me that supports soul and spirit being separate of the body.
If a soul were to leave the body and have an experience, how would it 'upload' that experience to the brain so that the brain would remember the soul's out of body experience? It's as if the two things (soul/brain) are the same.

For me, it makes more sense that the brain had this experience and I see no reason to invoke a soul in the first place. Also, since souls are religious ideas best I can tell, I'm wondering why you inject one in the first place. Where have you ever detected this thing you consider to be a soul before you offer it up as an explanation for out of body/near death experiences?

Much appreciated!
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Compassionist
Guru

Post #50

Post by Compassionist »

Here is an interesting video:

The problem is that I don't have any way to independently investigate the claims being made. So, I don't know if they are telling the truth or not.