Is there only one trinity doctrine or are there many?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

Is there only one trinity doctrine or are there many?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

tam wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:10 pm
Trinitarians are not one group.
Is this true? Are there different groups of trinitarians that all have different trinity doctrines?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: Is there only one trinity doctrine or are there many?

Post #61

Post by Eloi »

Back in topic ...

In another thread viewtopic.php?t=35503 a non-theist is questioning if the members of the Trinity are really "co-equal".

If the trinity is such a common simplistic idea of "there is one God who exists in three persons", why someone who can go to Wikipedia and check this doctrine is asking about the supposed "co-equality" among the three of them?

historia
Prodigy

Post #62

Post by historia »

Eloi wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:18 pm
I can not talk about groups
But that's precisely what you have been doing!

You just said:
Eloi wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:10 pm
There are thousand of groups in the Christendom who consider themselves trinitarians without adopting the "ortodox" Trinity
In the earlier thread you said:
Eloi wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:14 pm
There are thousands of called Christian churches in this moment ... and I am sure there are a lot of diferent views of the trinity among them that have been around for centuries.
Now you're admitting to us that you can't actually speak to what groups or churches believe. Fine, but you should retract these earlier false statements then.

historia
Prodigy

Post #63

Post by historia »

Eloi wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:02 am
In another thread viewtopic.php?t=35503 a non-theist is questioning if the members of the Trinity are really "co-equal".

If the trinity is such a common simplistic idea of "there is one God who exists in three persons", why someone who can go to Wikipedia and check this doctrine is asking about the supposed "co-equality" among the three of them?
I don't understand your question. The doctrine of the Trinity holds that the three persons are co-equal. And, in that other thread, polonius is asking whether this is, in fact, true. Seems then polonius understands, like the rest of us, what the doctrine of the Trinity entails.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #64

Post by Eloi »

historia wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:30 pm
Eloi wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:18 pm
I can not talk about groups
But that's precisely what you have been doing!

You just said:
Eloi wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:10 pm
There are thousand of groups in the Christendom who consider themselves trinitarians without adopting the "ortodox" Trinity
In the earlier thread you said:
Eloi wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:14 pm
There are thousands of called Christian churches in this moment ... and I am sure there are a lot of diferent views of the trinity among them that have been around for centuries.
Now you're admitting to us that you can't actually speak to what groups or churches believe. Fine, but you should retract these earlier false statements then.
I don't consider groups the denominations of the members of the Christendom I talk to, but I consider groups inside those denominations who don't agree with the ortodox view of the trinity. Some people I have spoken with have honestly confessed that within their own churches they have other like-minded brethren.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #65

Post by Eloi »

historia wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:35 pm

I don't understand your question. The doctrine of the Trinity holds that the three persons are co-equal. And, in that other thread, polonius is asking whether this is, in fact, true. Seems then polonius understands, like the rest of us, what the doctrine of the Trinity entails.
There are rational thinkers questioning the supposed co-equallity of the members of the so-called trinity.

The co-equality of the members of the trinity is an intrinsic part of the orthodox view of that doctrine, although you have been avoiding all the questions that have been asked here about the direct implications of the orthodox view on this doctrine with Catholic origin.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #66

Post by Eloi »

Nowadays believers are no longer satisfied with accepting a doctrine just because someone wants them to believe it. Now people have learned to ask for explanations and use the Bible to question what they have been taught for centuries.

We JWs have played an important role in this matter, as we are required to assist all worshipers to do that "with spirit and truth", so they can distinguish Biblical truth from unbiblical falsehood; we reason with them from the Scriptures. Militant atheists have also played a role, demanding that Christians use rational thinking, even through the Bible, to explain their beliefs.

historia
Prodigy

Post #67

Post by historia »

[Replying to Eloi in post #64]

So, in other words, you don't know of any denominations, churches, or official groups that hold differing views on the Trinity. Turns out, then, bjs was right (he often is).
Eloi wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:40 pm
The co-equality of the members of the trinity is an intrinsic part of the orthodox view of that doctrine
Sure, as both the sources cited above and I have already said. But what does that have to do with anything? You didn't complete your thought here.
although you have been avoiding all the questions that have been asked here about the direct implications of the orthodox view on this doctrine with Catholic origin.
I've simply asked you to pose all of your tangential questions about the Trinity in a new thread, in keeping with the rules of the forum. It is you who is avoiding doing this.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #68

Post by Eloi »

historia wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:35 pm

That is my point: most trinitarians are not totally rejecting the doctrine; they are afraid of the orthodoxy, of their leaders, of criticism, the religious pressure, all those things that the committees that are pulling the strings of the world's religions use to force them to believe and accept certain beliefs and practices...

They resist the idea to abandon the "trinity" so they still continue to believe that with their doubts about the co-equality or co-eternity of the members of that "composite God", they claim to be trinitarians. Others are more courageous and totally abandon the doctrine and renounce calling themselves Trinitarians.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #69

Post by Eloi »

At one time I was interested in a translation program to use with certain ancient Greek documents. I visited the official site of the institution that sells the software. To my surprise, in order to download the software the person had to accept that they were Trintarian. Go figure. Of course I didn't buy it. No one is going to force me to accept a doctrine, for whatever reason, if I am absolutely sure that it is an unbiblical teaching.

Same happened when I tried to register in another religious forum, like this one, on internet. The registered must accept the beliefs of the managers to paticipate on it, and trinity included ... I'm sure you know the end of this: obviously, I didn't register.

That is just a part of the pressure ... When I preach the truth about God to religious individual and families, I have to take into account all the pressure they are subjected to by their religious leaders so they don't study the Bible.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #70

Post by Eloi »

historia wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:01 pm [Replying to Eloi in post #64]

So, in other words, you don't know of any denominations, churches, or official groups that hold differing views on the Trinity. Turns out, then, bjs was right (he often is).
The co-equality of the members of the trinity is an intrinsic part of the orthodox view of that doctrine
Sure, as both the sources cited above and I have already said. But what does that have to do with anything? You didn't complete your thought here.
although you have been avoiding all the questions that have been asked here about the direct implications of the orthodox view on this doctrine with Catholic origin.
I've simply asked you to pose all of your tangential questions about the Trinity in a new thread, in keeping with the rules of the forum. It is you who is avoiding doing this.
The co-equality of the members of the trinity is not "tangential". It is part of the definition.

When people start to question the veracity of that co-equality, they are not trinitarians according to the ortodox view ... not matter if they still consider themselves trinitarians.

This topic is about how many diferent views of the trinity, trinitarians believe. A person who consider himself trinitarian, can, for example, consider that there is relation of subordination between God and his Son. That is not the ortodox view of the trinity ... or is it?