Is there only one trinity doctrine or are there many?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

Is there only one trinity doctrine or are there many?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

tam wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:10 pm
Trinitarians are not one group.
Is this true? Are there different groups of trinitarians that all have different trinity doctrines?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: Is there only one trinity doctrine or are there many?

Post #41

Post by Eloi »

historia wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:00 pm (...)
Yeah, well, this is not a trial and I don't need your approval to post here with my own way to say what I want to say, so ...

Believe me: I am a JW with a lot of field work done during my life, and I got hundreds (if not thousands) of dialogs with trinitarians in my whole career as one of the JWs in the world, for a few decades now ... If I have to show you any credential that you may accept ... turn off the lights and good bye.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #42

Post by Eloi »

Actually, I don't even know you, Why would I believe that this version you mention is the real ortodox or common way to describe the traditional trinity?

In fact, most of the time the trinitarians don't even say which denomination they are representing ... so take my word for it.

historia
Prodigy

Post #43

Post by historia »

Eloi wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:04 pm
Yeah, well, this is not a trial
Right, it's a debate forum. And one of the rules of this forum is:
osteng wrote:
5. Support your assertions/arguments with evidence. Do not persist in making a claim without supporting it. All unsupported claims can be challenged for supporting evidence. Opinions require no support, but they should not be considered as valid to any argument, nor will they be considered as legitimate support for any claim.
If you can't provide evidence to support your claims, no one here has any reason to consider them valid.
Eloi wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:10 pm
Why would I believe that this version you mention is the real ortodox or common way to describe the traditional trinity?
Because that is the definition you'll find in standard reference works like Wikipedia or Encyclopedia Brittanica.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by Eloi »

historia wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:21 pm (...)
Yeah, whatever ...
Any answer about the 7 points I mentioned before, or no answer at all?

PS: not from Wikipedia, thanks.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #45

Post by 2timothy316 »

historia wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:00 pm
Clearly, you and 2timothy316 have a lot of questions about the Trinity. But that's not the question under consideration in this thread. Maybe you should start a new one to have all your misconceptions cleared-up.
Have you answered the OP question yet?

historia
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by historia »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:32 pm
Yes, in my first reply.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #47

Post by 2timothy316 »

historia wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:35 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:32 pm
Yes, in my first reply.
So clear it all up for us then. Eloi as put up a list. Care to run through all of them for us and explain them in full detail? Because if you're going to tell us we need clarification but don't clarify then is it a wonder we have misconceptions? Even people that used to believe in the trinity now believe something that is new, that sounds like the trinity but isn't. That one person is all three.

Actually we should start with this question...
One poster said of the trinity, "God whose full reality defies exhaustive description."
Can no one actually describe the trinity?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #48

Post by Eloi »

In this post of him, kind of cryptically ;) he was trying to give some of the answers I was asking from him ...
historia wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:30 pm
Eloi wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:38 am
SINCE: we can find selfcalled trinitarians who say Jehovah is Jesus and others who say Jehovah is not Jesus, or some who say the Father and Jesus are co-equal, and others who say there is subordination among them, some say that when Jesus was a human he was not God and others say he was God even when human, some say prehuman-Jesus was just a non personal internal part of God and became personal only when he was born as human, and others say he was an independent person even before becoming human, etc.
Which Christian sects are you referring to that hold the beliefs I've bolded from you list above?
Note that he didn't say clearly what were the correct answers, but he bolded what he thinks were the wrong answers ...

Hopefully he won't be that scared(?) the next time and will give a clear answer not about that post, but about the 7 points correctly enumerated and clearly specified. 8-)

Anyway, if he says this is the ortodox view (from Wikipedia and the Encyclopedia Britannica O:) ) , why the fear of giving the asked details? Maybe the Encyclopedia and Wikipedia don't give details so he does not really knows :?:

historia
Prodigy

Post #49

Post by historia »

[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #47]
[Replying to Eloi in post #48]

As I already noted above, if you have general questions about the Trinity, you should start a new thread asking those questions.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #50

Post by Eloi »

To be a good boy as the rules say ... can you tell to the readers who are those you mentioned here?
historia wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:37 pmSome Christians have historically put forward different ideas as to the nature and relationship of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Calling all of such views "trinitarian" is confusing, since many of the proponents of those ideas don't describe their view using that term.
Some evidence, please ;)