How do we know what is right, and what is wrong?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

How do we know what is right, and what is wrong?

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

How do we know what is right, and what is wrong? For example, I think it is wrong to be a herbivore or a carnivore or an omnivore, or a parasite. I think all living things should be autotrophs. I think only autotrophs are good and the rest are evil. However, I am not certain that my thoughts are right. Can herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, and parasites become autotrophs at will? If so, why don't they? If they can't become autotrophs at will, is it really their fault that they are not autotrophs?

Miles
Savant

Re: How do we know what is right, and what is wrong?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Compassionist wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:42 pm How do we know what is right, and what is wrong?
By consulting one's principles, ethics, ideals, and sense of empathy. If what is done agrees with them then they're right. If what is done doesn't agrees with them then they're wrong.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #3

Post by Compassionist »

Miles wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:15 pm
Compassionist wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:42 pm How do we know what is right, and what is wrong?
By consulting one's principles, ethics, ideals, and sense of empathy. If what is done agrees with them then they're right. If what is done doesn't agrees with them then they're wrong.

Thank you for your reply. I want to make all living things autotrophs but I can't. I am a vegan but veganism is not good enough because even vegans cause harm. How can I make all living things autotrophs?

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Compassionist wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:37 am

Thank you for your reply. I want to make all living things autotrophs but I can't. I am a vegan but veganism is not good enough because even vegans cause harm. How can I make all living things autotrophs?
I don't think you can.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #5

Post by Compassionist »

Miles wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:29 pm

I don't think you can.

That's what I think, too. Different people have different values. Different countries even have different laws. Even the same country has different laws at different times. Is right and wrong just a matter of opinion?

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

Compassionist wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:24 am
Miles wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:29 pm

I don't think you can.

That's what I think, too. Different people have different values. Different countries even have different laws. Even the same country has different laws at different times. Is right and wrong just a matter of opinion?
In the sense that one considers right and wrong to be entirely subjective, yes. Outside of subjectivity, most people take laws as the binding authority of right and wrong. This comes down to a matter of practicality, saving one from having to seriously consider every niggling matter that arises, and knowing that ones opinion has no bearing on the implementation of law or its outcomes. In addition to such laws, many defer to god(s) for their arbiter on certain issues. Personally, as an atheist I have no use for any of god's decisions, be they right or wrong in my opinion, and sometimes feel that my opinion is morally superior to them, such as the god of Abraham's decision that homosexual sex is wrong, and that slavery is fine (right).

Compassionist
Guru

Post #7

Post by Compassionist »

[Replying to Miles in post #6]

I agree with you. Have you read https://www.evilbible.com ?

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

Compassionist wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:00 am [Replying to Miles in post #6]

I have, and even have it bookmarked. :approve:

Compassionist
Guru

Post #9

Post by Compassionist »

Miles wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:00 pm
Compassionist wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:00 am [Replying to Miles in post #6]

I have, and even have it bookmarked. :approve:

Me too. I don't know how Christians simply turn a blind eye to all the atrocities committed by God and his followers in the Bible.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #10

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to Compassionist in post #1]

If atheism is true, there is no right or wrong, at least not in any helpful sense. For instance, if you like pistachio flavored ice cream, it isn't helpful to call your tastes "wrong". Morality would be the same. Even trying to judge the action by the harm/help it creates won't work because there are so many different ideas of what is harmful and helpful, again putting harm/help on the level of ice cream flavor you like.