Resurrection after three days? What?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

oldbadger
Guru

Resurrection after three days? What?

Post #1

Post by oldbadger »

Can somebody just gently guide me through the timeline of the death of Jesus to his claimed resurrection ?
Three days? That's junk! A Friday evening to a Sunday morning looks more like 1.5 days to me.

Anybody who wants to use the Jewish 24hr cycle needs to stick with that clock throughout their guidance.
Anybody who uses the Modern 24 cycle might stick with that, please. No ducking and diving from one to t'other. ;)

rstrats
Scholar

Re: Resurrection after three days? What?

Post #51

Post by rstrats »

Eloi wrote:
and in Luke 24:21 we can see that the first day is the day when he was killed.

Actually, what we see in Luke 24:21 is that the crucifixion couldn't have occurred any later than the 5th day of the week.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #52

Post by TRANSPONDER »

rstrats wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:24 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:41 am

The first 'after' does not compute. :D in a bicycle race the second place comes after the first. The First does not come after anything.
That is a different construct. To be analogous, you'd have to say: In a bicycle race, the first lesser place award to come after the first place award is the second place award. If there is a second day which comes after - let's say Tuesday - then there has to be a first day which comes after Tuesday, i.e., the first day which comes after Tuesday is Wednesday. The second day which comes after Tuesday is Thursday.
Then the analogy would be relate back to the Holy week with race 1 arrival at Jerusalem, Donkey ride (first day or Next day?) anointing at Bethany (third day?) and the whole Friday to Sunday would be a subsequent eace with its' on first (Friday) second Sabbath and Sunday (resurrection) which is as Luke says, the third day since all that.

Tell me, are you trying to make some kind of argument relating to the Crucifixion - story? because I can't see what difference it makes even if Cleophas had been talking about some other 'Third day'. Which is the third day after 'These things' (the stuff that happened on Friday) is the particular 'race' referred to, with the trial and crucifixion day (Friday) the first place of the 'race'.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #53

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Eloi wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:08 pm And again and again and again and again and again and again and ...

Jesus showed in Luke 13:32 what it means "the third day", and in Luke 24:21 we can see that the first day is the day when he was killed.
Eloi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:26 am With the development of events since Jesus' death in the afternoon, to the visit of the women to the tomb early in the morning on the first day of the week, Sunday, we can see that Jesus was three days (not 72 hours) dead. If Jesus died Friday, the third day is Sunday at any hour.

Friday 3.00 pm: Jesus died and is sepulted before the holy day.
Saturday: Nobody can go to see the body cause is holy day.
Sunday, early in the morning: women go the first time to see the body.

Disregarding the supposed literalness of the prophetic expression related to Jonah and mentioned only once in the entire NT (Matt. 12:39,40), we can see that the phrase on the third day is mentioned several times with reference to when Jesus would be resurrected; some are: Matt. 16:21; 17:23; 27:63; Luke 24:7,46.
Eloi wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:35 am (...) what Jesus meant with the third day (...) :

Luke 13:32 And he said to them: “Go and tell that fox, ‘Look! I am casting out demons and accomplishing healing today and tomorrow, and the third day I shall be finished.’

When Jesus appeared to some of his disciples the same day he was raised from the dead, they told him:

Luke 24:21 (...)
καὶ σὺν πᾶσιν τούτοις __ and besides all these things
τρίτην ταύτην ἡμέραν ἄγει __ this third day is running
ἀφʼ οὗ ταῦτα ἐγένετο __ since these things occurred.

So, when 'those things occurred' was the first day. (...)
Yes, we must agree. We may disagree on whether the story is a true event or partially true, but the days on which 'these things' occurred is surely not seriously arguable.

Last supper Thursday,
Arrest Friday (what we'd call Thursday night) trial Friday morning and crucifixion that day - the 'These things' that Luke is saying is the first of day one - to three)

Entombment last hour or so before Saturday (Sabbath) starts (second day of Cleophas' three says since 'these things' happened. Resting and I suspect eating Passover Seder, though that's a debate. Probably NOT preparing spices when they will go to the tomb because that is Work and forbidden of sabbath. but clearly they have the whole day to resolve to go to the tomb as soon as it gets light and I can't beleive they didn't think about who would open the tomb for them Even supposing they didn't know about the tomb guard.

That's why it suddenly striking them that they couldn't get in right at the last minute AND various attempts by the writers to explain this strikes me as plot construction, making the empty tomb a faith claim rather than a fact.

However, O:) just something contentious as a change from agreeing totally with you.

So Apart from Luke implying that Jesus (and that penitent thief) would have risen on Friday even before it was dark enough to see the stars, it seems that Jesus was resurrected and walking about on the Sabbath, and the tomb didn't need to be open, even apart from Matthew saying the angel opened the tomb door frightening away the guard before dawn on Sunday (which had started at the 'Saturday' twilight) and clearly Jesus had already gone and never mind the tomb door. Jesus could walk through walls.

So leaving this interesting matter of 'Who moved the stone' (which in fact got me interested in the whole resurrection -claim) aside, Sunday when it got light was the First day of the Jewish week but the 'Third' day since 'These things' - the trial and crucifixion on the Friday, the 'first day' of the Cleophas bicycle sprint race, Jerusalem to Emmaus and back- happened.

On that Cleophanic 'third day' it's pretty busy with the various appearances. But i can't help wonder - where was Jesus all Saturday? I know the popular mental image - even with critics and skeptics is Jesus is lying 'asleep' until dawn Sunday when the tomb is opened. But no, it looks like he's already up and walking about and with the tomb still closed, and the tomb guard not bothered by that at all. Almost like they'd either opened the tomb and let Jesus out OR Jesus was already gone before they arrived.taken

Which feeds into the 'disciples took the body' as Matthew reports the rumour was. Either with or without the assistance of the tomb -guard (and if they were Pilate's men, remember, according to the Gospels, Pilate wanted to let Jesus go free) but that's another debate altogether.

rstrats
Scholar

Post #54

Post by rstrats »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:37 am

Tell me, are you trying to make some kind of argument relating to the Crucifixion - story?
Well, the OP seems to be questioning a 6th day of the week crucifixion. Your posts have been an argument for a 6th day of the week crucifixion. My "argument" has simply been for a different day of the week in line with the OP.
Last edited by rstrats on Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #55

Post by boatsnguitars »

Isn't it amazing that the Bible isn't even clear about the 3 days? It needs massive apologetics just to make sense of it all.

To me, that's a bug, not a feature.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #56

Post by TRANSPONDER »

rstrats wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:39 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:37 am

Tell me, are you trying to make some kind of argument relating to the Crucifixion - story?
Well, the OP seems to be questioning a 6th day of the week crucifixion. Your posts have been an argument for a 6th day of the week crucifixion. My "argument" has simply been for a different day of the week in line with the OP.
Well, asking for clarification and a timeline. Making the pertinent point that the fudging and confusion caused by the Jewish and modern western reckoning. I'd say that setting out the 7 days, explaning that 24 hours was twilight to twilight not midnight to midnight, and the First day of the week was Sunday not Monday, then using the Gospel data points (Day after the crucifixion was Sabbath) and we can see the events of the week in chronological context clear enough and (aside the one question of when the Passover was eaten) is pretty clear.

So I don't see how you can possibly argue for a different day of the crucifixion other than Friday 6th day with Sunday as day 1) when the following day is said to be the sabbath (Saturday). The three days' seems to Not be a big problem. Rising on the third day will do, if one can swallow the dog -end of Friday as the 'first day' of the Three. But it is not Three days, even if Matthew appears to say that it should be.
boatsnguitars wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:07 am Isn't it amazing that the Bible isn't even clear about the 3 days? It needs massive apologetics just to make sense of it all.

To me, that's a bug, not a feature.
Yeaahh....and I have to admit that the Bible critics, skeptics, atheists, unbelievers and the like hellbound Satanspawn do love to gleefully point up that Jesus was NOT 3 days in the tomb even from last thing Friday to waking up at first light Sunday. It still works (just about) as 'the third day' even if it isn't three full 24 hours.

That Fact recognised (as well as the day after the Crucifixion was Saturday, the day of preparation thus being Friday (whether or not the Passover had been eaten, already) and the day after the day of rest (Sabbath) is first day of the week (Sunday), then they can make their arguments, but please God, not trying to make the crucifixion happen on some other day.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #57

Post by JoeyKnothead »

oldbadger wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:41 am Can somebody just gently guide me through the timeline of the death of Jesus to his claimed resurrection ?
Three days? That's junk! A Friday evening to a Sunday morning looks more like 1.5 days to me.

Anybody who wants to use the Jewish 24hr cycle needs to stick with that clock throughout their guidance.
Anybody who uses the Modern 24 cycle might stick with that, please. No ducking and diving from one to t'other. ;)
3 days. 3 hours. 3 weeks.

If the timeline is confusing, concentrate on the part where a dead guy hopped up and strolled about.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Clownboat
Savant

Post #58

Post by Clownboat »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:27 am
oldbadger wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:41 am Can somebody just gently guide me through the timeline of the death of Jesus to his claimed resurrection ?

3 days. 3 hours. 3 weeks.

If the timeline is confusing, concentrate on the part where a dead guy hopped up and strolled about.
Matthew 27:52 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

Why stop at one, when the claim is that many dead bodies broke from their tombs and were raised to life?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

MadJW
Student

Post #59

Post by MadJW »

That's Hilarious!
Churchianity teaches we NEVER die- just change forms!
IMMORTAL soul

MadJW
Student

Post #60

Post by MadJW »

That's HILARIOUS!
Churchianity teaches we NEVER die- just change forms! "IMMORTAL souls', remember!

So they teach JESUS never died!