Banned
Banned

Simple Test to Disprove Christianity

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

1. Find Christians who claim to have a relationship with Jesus
2. Ask them individually a series of questions
3. Compare the answers.
4. If the answers don't line up, then it shows that Christians don't have a relationship with Jesus.
5. The most likely answer is that Jesus doesn't exist in the way Christians claim.

Some questions:
A. What was your favorite food as a child, Jesus?
B. What should America do about it's National Debt, if anything? What steps should be done to reduce it, or should it be reduced at all?
C. Where is my great-great-great-great-grandmother buried?
D. Are both Hitler and Anne Frank in Heaven?
E. What is the 1 billionth digit in Pi?

These are samples of questions that could be compared. (Obviously, you'd want a double-blind study, etc.)

Objections:

1. "Jesus/God doesn't work that way!"
This is obvious to non-believers, since it's exactly what you'd expect from a non-existent person in a "relationship". However, Christians who claim to have a relationship with Jesus are often heard all the ways Jesus talks to them:
"I was drinkin' and druggin' and bein' all bad, and I asked Jesus, "Jesus, should I stop all this self-destructive behavior?", and he said, "Yes.""
"I was unemployed, surfin' on my Mom's couch and she was naggin' me, so I prayed to Jesus, "Jesus, should I get a job?", and I heard him clear as a bell, "Yes"."

So, this is very simple. Ask Jesus better questions, otherwise, it appears Jesus is no better than an incel's mother telling him to get a job. We expect more from our deities, no?

2. "Well, not all Christians are being honest about their relationship with Jesus"
This is certain. Christians of all stripes lie about Jesus. There's a reason there are over 10,000 denominations, many of those led by men (usually men) who claim to have had a revelation from Jesus to start their church. The Pope, Fred Phelps, Marcion, etc. They've all claimed to have a relationship with Jesus in some way - and they've all been either lying, or Jesus is telling them different answers (so much for not being the author of confusion!).
In fact, can't we sum up all religions as started by liars?
Aren't all people stained by Original Sin and liars? Aren't 99% of all religions automatically wrong - started by liars? Why do we simply accept the claims of one person over another?

3. "OK, maybe everyone is a liar, except me! If I can answer all those questions correctly, then Christianity must be true."
Not so fast. Sure, if one person answered all the questions correctly, we'd have a data point. But with over 1 billion Christians in the world, we'd expect 1 person to randomly get it right.
Besides, Christianity claims - in it's own book (unless it's a lie) - that Jesus DESIRES a relationship with us. If only one person can answer those questions (that could also be answered randomly), that doesn't support the claims of Christianity.

4. "You can't test God!"
(Why not? How convenient!) But, we're not really testing God - we're testing the people's claims of having a relationship with Jesus. After all, Christians want us to accept that Jesus has told them x, y, z, and that's why we can't have Gay Marriage, or eat meat on Friday, or have premarital sex, etc. In other words, see #1, they are more than happy to tell us Jesus has spoken with them and told them the 'facts" (yet, Chrtistians disagree). This is exactly what you'd expect from a false religion.

Conclusion:
This is a simple test. Almost stupidly simple. Committed Christians will do everything they can to avoid ever having to take this test - which belies their motivation.
This would be perfectly normal in a real relationship. If you wanted to know if Warren Buffet existed (or if people who claimed to know him, actually knew him), you could simply ask a series of questions. The people who answer the same, and answer what only Buffet would know, are most likely the ones in a relationship with Buffet.
The fact is, there is no difference between "Christians relationship with Jesus" and "There is no Jesus".

Bonus round:
Not all religions claim to have this kind of relationship with God. Thus, making those religions more likely true (or, at least, more difficult to prove the negative; that they aren't true).
Therefore, if Christians want to make Pascal's Wager, they should pick a different religion.

Are any Christians here willing to take the test? Wouldn't you like to know if Jesus is real - or which Christians are false?

Important Note:
This test highlights not only why Christianity is false, but shows how vastly different our world would be if it were true.
If Christianity were true, and Jesus/God had actual relationships with the millions of people who claim to have this relationship, we'd see a vast agreement from all those Christians on all kinds of issues. Politics, parenting, science, math, etc: All these would be supercharged if we could tap into the knowledge of God.

Our legal system: "Jesus, did he kill his wife? No? OK, sir, you are free to go. We've been told it's your neighbor."

Parenting: "Should I spank my children? Oh, you say one of them will learn from it but the other will be forever scarred emotionally and never be able to form meaningful relationships? Wow, thanks, Jesus?"

I know Christians will claim Jesus doesn't want to give us the answers. But this is just an excuse - and a lie - since they claim Jesus does, in fact, give them answers on a number of things when it comes to them personally, or things that involve the culture war. How many Christians are convinced Jesus doesn't like abortion - despite those babies getting a free trip to God, without any of the pain and agony in this mortal life? (As one of many examples)

Thoughts?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

AquinasForGod
Sage

Re: Simple Test to Disprove Christianity

Post #2

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #1]

I see no one responded to this and for obvious reasons.

No one has this kind of relationship with Jesus.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

AquinasForGod wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:20 pm [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #1]

Of course they don't. They...ahhh...have more a kind of relationship an obsessive has with the object....they all have their mental image of what Jesusgod is like, wants and says, which is often uncannily like the wants, says and likes of the believer themselves.

And that is why we get no reliable nor consistent guidance, directives and answers from Jesusgod, either. Only,we get excuses as to why Jesus doesn't deliver, other than on things that happen anyway.

And I was always expecting to add to the OP post, but I wanted someone to respond first. It didn't take you long. O:)

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by boatsnguitars »

AquinasForGod wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:20 pm [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #1]

Doesn't that imply something? If your experience of Jesus is the same as with that of a non-existent Being, it suggests that Jesus/God doesn't exist?

Yet, there are people who claim to that Jesus tells them things. I think you are being disingenuous to say otherwise.

Here are testimonials. Are they lying? (If they aren't lying, but delusional, then wouldn't that apply to Early Christians, like Paul and others?)

https://www.quora.com/Have-you-ever-tal ... alked-back
Marianne Jones
Former Retired Teacher, Writer1y
I remember one time we were relocating and had worn ourselves out looking at houses. None was suitable. When I went to bed that night, I told Jesus that I wanted to believe He would provide, but I had run out of hope. I heard clearly in my thoughts the words, “Can you trust me just a bit longer?” I sighed and said I would try. The next morning we found our house.
oh hoo yes.!
i ever talk to jesus.!
i never asked him to talk back but then he talked back.!
This is a time i circled in my life.!
First of all, he is a marvellous GOD.! hoo woah..! what is his love? omg..!! it is unenduring!
He has talked to me thru many ways.. but the direct way i would like to tell..

It was when I was 18 yrs old,an year back, I had back-slidings.but God used to talk to me like hell.,thru visions..I havent listened..That was a time I was a little disheartened too.!

It was in the early morning 6 a.m ,my mother left for a morning walk.! I was still on the bed . My mother informed me beforehand and left..I was not stll goin to sleep.. but then a white man with hell full of light .. entered my room.! I couldnt see his light.!iIf I would see, I will surely become blind .! I was even unable to see the walls of my room ,such was his light.! He came to me and carried me with his two arms.! and he even told me..not to back slide..!!

I jus cannot keep him out of my mind.! I love him so much.! my everything.!
My wife is ill with a lung disease, I pray for her day and night. One night I had dream I was in A very large church. I started to walk in the center aisle to the front of the church. About three rows on the left side before the first row there was a large figure all in white, he turned around and looked right at me we made eye contact then he said " She will be alright “, it was Jesus when I tell anyone about this dream I want to cry or tear up,Yes I do believe Jesus did speak to me Amen 🙏
Jesus often used to come into my dreams. He looks very very very peaceful, smiling every time, looks like an incarnation of love and compassion. In 2015 he wished me “Happy birthday to you” in the dream on before night of my birthday. I was so happy. Thank you Jesus for your love and compassion.
Karen Tiede
born Lutheran, Unitarian through the grace of God

Yes, and yes.

Once, I yelled for help on an icy road and the car behaved. Next time I tried that, I received the very clear message, "learn to drive on snow, hon."

I have heard, "leave that man alone. He's not good for you."

I suspect that people who think everyone who hears God or Jesus talking to them is schizophrenic, have not met many schizophrenics, or devout religious people.

When believers hear God talking to them, God tends to say things like, "play nice," "apologize," "try that one more time," and "lay off the booze, OK?"

When schizophrenics hear voices, the voices tend to say things like, "hit yourself in the face," "they're after you," and "why not walk down Franklin Street shooting people with a semi-automatic rifle?"

Now, I think those two categories of "hearing things" are obviously different. YMMV.
Jody Gattey
A student and teacher of the Bible for 42 years.

Have you talked to Jesus or God?
Yes, many times and often. God also speaks to me. It is true that we can have a real and personal relationship with Almighty God through Jesus Christ. When I was 30 years old, I asked Jesus to be the Lord of my life, and that opened the door to a spiritual realm that I never knew existed. It is real, and the New Testament explains this in many ways. Although I didn’t know any of the Bible when I asked Jesus to come into my life and help me. Now forty years later, I still am in a relationship with Him. He is the Author of life and the Knower of all things, and we are lost without HIm.

God longs to hear from us. We are His creation, but it is sin that separates us from Holy God. And we all have sinned in some way (some more than others, but we are all going our own way). So that is why He sent Jesus Christ to be our Savior, so that we can connect with Him. God loves us and wants to be in our life. He has done His part… He came in the flesh, suffered and gave His life to pay the penalty for our sins, so that we can be reconciled to Him… if we will only believe. It is not earned, but a gift, and received by faith.

Receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior and you can experience what I’m talking about. Life, the universe, everything is all about Him. We are privileged just to be part of it and to connect with Him. Without knowing Him, life is meaningless and empty, and we miss the purpose of our existence.
Jamie Peters
·
Follow
Packing Fab Tech6mo
God speaks to me in various ways. Thru nature, thru the Bible, through strangers and yes His voice. His voice is gentle, loving, sincere, wise, sound as in stable, something you know that you can stand on, rely on, trust.

He has appeared to me on 2 occasions.

He told me that He still loved me.

He has told me to tell the world that He loves them.

He has told me that there is a reason for my being.

I don't know how to explain the trinity, three in one, but now that I am thinking about it, there does seem to be three different…

Like, God speaks to me and He gives me messages, the Holy Spirit speaks to me , He gives me guidance, understanding, warnings, direction, Jesus speaks to me and its just pure love.

God told me that I was to reach the outcasts of society, those who have fallen through the cracks. He has told me to speak forth His Word.

He will use nature, a road sign, a child, a stranger.. He desires to communicate with you, with us. He tries to get our attention. He loves us and desires a family like relationship with us.

Today He had me turn to Galatians 3:11

Maybe you need to hear it again also. IDk.

But that a man is not made right with God by The Written Law, this is revealed, because it is written: “The just shall live by faith.”

That's from the Arabic Bible in plain English.

You can always ask the Holy Spirit to lead you, He will.

I pray that you hear Him clearly without doubt.

God wants you to know Him, like the back of your hand. He's not hiding. Know Him for yourself. We are about to go through some rough times, you need to be able to hear Him, trust Him, do what He says.

He says to Moses in Exodus 33:

21The LORD continued, “There is a place near Me where you are to stand upon a rock, 22and when My glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft of the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by.

That Rock is Jesus. You can Stand on the Rock.

He, towards you is gentle as a Lamb, but toward His enemy as ferocious as a lion. He will fight for you and hold you up by His righteous right hand.

Isaiah 41:9-11

American Standard Version

9 thou whom I have taken hold of from the ends of the earth, and called from the corners thereof, and said unto thee, Thou art my servant, I have chosen thee and not cast thee away; 10 fear thou not, for I am with thee; [a]be not dismayed, for I am thy God; I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. 11 Behold, all they that are incensed against thee shall be put to shame and confounded: they that strive with thee shall be as nothing, and shall perish.

1 Kings 19 refers to a time when one of the great prophets of God was on the run..

11 The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.”

Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.

Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

More often than not, it's a gentle whisper. “I LOVE YOU.”
Eric Brophy
Jesus died for me

How do you know when Jesus is talking to you?
I'm going to rearrange the original question slightly: How do you know when you're being directed by holy spirit?

For me, it comes down to confidence in the decision. Oftentimes it's a decision I didn't consciously arrive at. It kind of arrives at me. I might question the validity of it, and consider the alternatives. Then my conscience gets loud. I search inside to determine how I feel about it. When I feel calm and compelled to do a thing, and I feel dread at the idea of not doing that thing, that's when I know that it's something that holy spirit is telling me to do.

Additionally I check myself to see if it's something that I merely want to do. As long as I'm honest about what's motivating it I can operate well. If I feel doubt or I'm fearful about the outcome (not just unpleasant consequences) then I know I have to reevaluate and pray about it. Holy spirit gives faith not fear.

There are some other tells, too. I sometimes get a physical sensation that means: pay attention, this is important. I also get a feeling of deep and incredible joy when I voice my commitment to doing whatever thing God wants me to be doing at that time. It does not always turn out the way I anticipate, but that is not the most important thing. The most important thing is being obedient.
Shall I continue? Seems there is an endless amount of people claiming to hear from Jesus. Maybe you're missing out?
― Omar Khayyâm

POI
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by POI »

Right. The true way to receive communication with Jesus is to do rosary for 9 days, and/or deeply meditate until you lose track of time. If you get responses here, these are more likely authentic. But do not ask Him anything in the OP ;)
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by boatsnguitars »

It's funny. It seems the "real" Christians, who don't have a personal relationship with Jesus, think the people who claim to talk with him are the phonies.

It's like when people talk about Magic:
There's "real" magic, aka fake magic.
There's "fake" magic, aka real magic.

Christians please explain why the people who claim to speak with Jesus aren't being honest, and then, please explain why the early Church fathers who claimed to have a relationship with the Risen Jesus were...

What difference is there, and - as always - please provide evidence for your claims.

See the irony?
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by boatsnguitars »

boatsnguitars wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:54 am

Doesn't that imply something? If your experience of Jesus is the same as with that of a non-existent Being, it suggests that Jesus/God doesn't exist?

Yet, there are people who claim to that Jesus tells them things. I think you are being disingenuous to say otherwise.

Here are testimonials. Are they lying? (If they aren't lying, but delusional, then wouldn't that apply to Early Christians, like Paul and others?)

https://www.quora.com/Have-you-ever-tal ... alked-back
Marianne Jones
Former Retired Teacher, Writer1y
I remember one time we were relocating and had worn ourselves out looking at houses. None was suitable. When I went to bed that night, I told Jesus that I wanted to believe He would provide, but I had run out of hope. I heard clearly in my thoughts the words, “Can you trust me just a bit longer?” I sighed and said I would try. The next morning we found our house.
oh hoo yes.!
i ever talk to jesus.!
i never asked him to talk back but then he talked back.!
This is a time i circled in my life.!
First of all, he is a marvellous GOD.! hoo woah..! what is his love? omg..!! it is unenduring!
He has talked to me thru many ways.. but the direct way i would like to tell..

It was when I was 18 yrs old,an year back, I had back-slidings.but God used to talk to me like hell.,thru visions..I havent listened..That was a time I was a little disheartened too.!

It was in the early morning 6 a.m ,my mother left for a morning walk.! I was still on the bed . My mother informed me beforehand and left..I was not stll goin to sleep.. but then a white man with hell full of light .. entered my room.! I couldnt see his light.!iIf I would see, I will surely become blind .! I was even unable to see the walls of my room ,such was his light.! He came to me and carried me with his two arms.! and he even told me..not to back slide..!!

I jus cannot keep him out of my mind.! I love him so much.! my everything.!
My wife is ill with a lung disease, I pray for her day and night. One night I had dream I was in A very large church. I started to walk in the center aisle to the front of the church. About three rows on the left side before the first row there was a large figure all in white, he turned around and looked right at me we made eye contact then he said " She will be alright “, it was Jesus when I tell anyone about this dream I want to cry or tear up,Yes I do believe Jesus did speak to me Amen 🙏
Jesus often used to come into my dreams. He looks very very very peaceful, smiling every time, looks like an incarnation of love and compassion. In 2015 he wished me “Happy birthday to you” in the dream on before night of my birthday. I was so happy. Thank you Jesus for your love and compassion.
Karen Tiede
born Lutheran, Unitarian through the grace of God

Yes, and yes.

Once, I yelled for help on an icy road and the car behaved. Next time I tried that, I received the very clear message, "learn to drive on snow, hon."

I have heard, "leave that man alone. He's not good for you."

I suspect that people who think everyone who hears God or Jesus talking to them is schizophrenic, have not met many schizophrenics, or devout religious people.

When believers hear God talking to them, God tends to say things like, "play nice," "apologize," "try that one more time," and "lay off the booze, OK?"

When schizophrenics hear voices, the voices tend to say things like, "hit yourself in the face," "they're after you," and "why not walk down Franklin Street shooting people with a semi-automatic rifle?"

Now, I think those two categories of "hearing things" are obviously different. YMMV.
Jody Gattey
A student and teacher of the Bible for 42 years.

Have you talked to Jesus or God?
Yes, many times and often. God also speaks to me. It is true that we can have a real and personal relationship with Almighty God through Jesus Christ. When I was 30 years old, I asked Jesus to be the Lord of my life, and that opened the door to a spiritual realm that I never knew existed. It is real, and the New Testament explains this in many ways. Although I didn’t know any of the Bible when I asked Jesus to come into my life and help me. Now forty years later, I still am in a relationship with Him. He is the Author of life and the Knower of all things, and we are lost without HIm.

God longs to hear from us. We are His creation, but it is sin that separates us from Holy God. And we all have sinned in some way (some more than others, but we are all going our own way). So that is why He sent Jesus Christ to be our Savior, so that we can connect with Him. God loves us and wants to be in our life. He has done His part… He came in the flesh, suffered and gave His life to pay the penalty for our sins, so that we can be reconciled to Him… if we will only believe. It is not earned, but a gift, and received by faith.

Receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior and you can experience what I’m talking about. Life, the universe, everything is all about Him. We are privileged just to be part of it and to connect with Him. Without knowing Him, life is meaningless and empty, and we miss the purpose of our existence.
Jamie Peters
·
Follow
Packing Fab Tech6mo
God speaks to me in various ways. Thru nature, thru the Bible, through strangers and yes His voice. His voice is gentle, loving, sincere, wise, sound as in stable, something you know that you can stand on, rely on, trust.

He has appeared to me on 2 occasions.

He told me that He still loved me.

He has told me to tell the world that He loves them.

He has told me that there is a reason for my being.

I don't know how to explain the trinity, three in one, but now that I am thinking about it, there does seem to be three different…

Like, God speaks to me and He gives me messages, the Holy Spirit speaks to me , He gives me guidance, understanding, warnings, direction, Jesus speaks to me and its just pure love.

God told me that I was to reach the outcasts of society, those who have fallen through the cracks. He has told me to speak forth His Word.

He will use nature, a road sign, a child, a stranger.. He desires to communicate with you, with us. He tries to get our attention. He loves us and desires a family like relationship with us.

Today He had me turn to Galatians 3:11

Maybe you need to hear it again also. IDk.

But that a man is not made right with God by The Written Law, this is revealed, because it is written: “The just shall live by faith.”

That's from the Arabic Bible in plain English.

You can always ask the Holy Spirit to lead you, He will.

I pray that you hear Him clearly without doubt.

God wants you to know Him, like the back of your hand. He's not hiding. Know Him for yourself. We are about to go through some rough times, you need to be able to hear Him, trust Him, do what He says.

He says to Moses in Exodus 33:

21The LORD continued, “There is a place near Me where you are to stand upon a rock, 22and when My glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft of the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by.

That Rock is Jesus. You can Stand on the Rock.

He, towards you is gentle as a Lamb, but toward His enemy as ferocious as a lion. He will fight for you and hold you up by His righteous right hand.

Isaiah 41:9-11

American Standard Version

9 thou whom I have taken hold of from the ends of the earth, and called from the corners thereof, and said unto thee, Thou art my servant, I have chosen thee and not cast thee away; 10 fear thou not, for I am with thee; [a]be not dismayed, for I am thy God; I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. 11 Behold, all they that are incensed against thee shall be put to shame and confounded: they that strive with thee shall be as nothing, and shall perish.

1 Kings 19 refers to a time when one of the great prophets of God was on the run..

11 The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.”

Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.

Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

More often than not, it's a gentle whisper. “I LOVE YOU.”
Eric Brophy
Jesus died for me

How do you know when Jesus is talking to you?
I'm going to rearrange the original question slightly: How do you know when you're being directed by holy spirit?

For me, it comes down to confidence in the decision. Oftentimes it's a decision I didn't consciously arrive at. It kind of arrives at me. I might question the validity of it, and consider the alternatives. Then my conscience gets loud. I search inside to determine how I feel about it. When I feel calm and compelled to do a thing, and I feel dread at the idea of not doing that thing, that's when I know that it's something that holy spirit is telling me to do.

Additionally I check myself to see if it's something that I merely want to do. As long as I'm honest about what's motivating it I can operate well. If I feel doubt or I'm fearful about the outcome (not just unpleasant consequences) then I know I have to reevaluate and pray about it. Holy spirit gives faith not fear.

There are some other tells, too. I sometimes get a physical sensation that means: pay attention, this is important. I also get a feeling of deep and incredible joy when I voice my commitment to doing whatever thing God wants me to be doing at that time. It does not always turn out the way I anticipate, but that is not the most important thing. The most important thing is being obedient.
Shall I continue? Seems there is an endless amount of people claiming to hear from Jesus. Maybe you're missing out?
It's odd how Christians have decided not to engage with this thread after I just showed them that, in fact, Christians do claim to speak with Jesus all the time. I suspect they don't and realize their Faith is the only thing keeping them in the game. They gotta win that Eternal Life Lotto!
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I am quire convinced that the Faithful believe that the god (or quasi -god) is communicating with them and downloading Truth into their heads. It is the same with many (if not all) religions and indeed those without a god, but quasi -gods, like Buddhism and Taoism[Enlightenment]).

It explains everything. Why they are sure their interpretation and doctrine is right and others are wrong, why facts don't matter and Faith does, why Revelation is a thing and why so many deconverts came to realise that the voice of Jesusgod talking to them was their own head.

I am familiar with all this personally though I was never a Theist. I can talk to my own head, but I know it's me. I have bought In to various claims and Hypotheses, but have dropped out when the evidence showed it was wrong. I have escaped Faithbased thinking but I know what it is.,

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I'm not too keen on the argument presented in the OP.

I have a different relationship with my son's mother than he does.

I have a different relationship with the pretty thing than she has with her sister.

If we're gonna fuss about Christian relationships, the one to fuss about is their poor relationship with the truth.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #10

Post by benchwarmer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:42 pm I'm not too keen on the argument presented in the OP.

I have a different relationship with my son's mother than he does.

I have a different relationship with the pretty thing than she has with her sister.
This is a good point, but I'm not sure it would matter for some of the basic, simple type of questions posed in the OP. i.e. What did Jesus like to eat for breakfast?

If he gives different answers, he would either be lying or maybe not really have a favorite breakfast food and just responds with one of the things he ate. I'm not sure the relationship between the asker and Jesus would color the response for this type of question.

I could see for questions like "How do you feel about your disciple Peter?". He may give most people some standard response, but those really close might get more 'dirt'.

In the end, I think we all know that most (all?) Christians are incapable of having a typical two way conversation with Jesus that produces definitive, consistent answers. I know Christians that claim to have a personal relationship with God, but still struggle with their faith. This seems impossible, but actually shows the claim to be false.

If I have a personal relationship with someone, I don't fret about wondering if they actually exist or spend hours trying to get a simple response to a simple question and then have to 'discern' the answer to make sure I got it right. If you have a personal relationship with someone and claim to converse with them, I would think faith is no longer required. You would KNOW that someone is there (or I suppose at the very least. something is there claiming to be this someone).