20 Terrible Ideas from the New Testament

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

20 Terrible Ideas from the New Testament

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

Please see Do you agree? Do you disagree? If you disagree, what is the basis for your disagreement?

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Re: 20 Terrible Ideas from the New Testament

Post #2

Post by Shem Yoshi »

after little consideration of the hour long video i didnt see, id have to say i dont agree at all... My basis is that I believe the Bible is foundational
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:51 pm after little consideration of the hour long video i didnt see, id have to say i dont agree at all... My basis is that I believe the Bible is foundational

Thank you for your response. For me, the video was spot on other than one of the points I felt was out of context. But the argument is well taken that while the OT is pretty awful as a guide to morality, the NT, touted by Christian apologists as All New, in fact isn't in many cases, like slavery and disregard for women, and even adds worse, like rejecting family for the cult, making yourself a willing victim, like few Christians I have EVER seen do, and aside from self -mutilation (which surely Matthew can't have meant literally) the most Foundational message of the NT :- give us all your money and subject yourselves to us, the ministry.

While I agree that the NT is Foundational, I don't agree that makes it right or even good.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #4

Post by Compassionist »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:51 pm after little consideration of the hour long video i didnt see, id have to say i dont agree at all... My basis is that I believe the Bible is foundational
The Bible is false and unethical. I don't know how Christians simply turn a blind eye to all the atrocities committed by God and his followers in the Bible. Please see https://www.evilbible.com

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:48 am ...the most Foundational message of the NT :- give us all your money and subject yourselves to us, the ministry.
Please show where is that said in the Bible?

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #6

Post by Shem Yoshi »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:48 am

Thank you for your response. For me, the video was spot on other than one of the points I felt was out of context. But the argument is well taken that while the OT is pretty awful as a guide to morality, the NT, touted by Christian apologists as All New, in fact isn't in many cases, like slavery and disregard for women, and even adds worse, like rejecting family for the cult, making yourself a willing victim, like few Christians I have EVER seen do, and aside from self -mutilation (which surely Matthew can't have meant literally) the most Foundational message of the NT :- give us all your money and subject yourselves to us, the ministry.

While I agree that the NT is Foundational, I don't agree that makes it right or even good.
Im just saying man, if you write a 20 page habeas corpus to the courts, they just dismiss it without even reading it on any technical ground. As much as I appreciate the Cosmic Skeptic, some of the videos are just too long with a bunch of points I have already heard...

As for what you said, I find a hard time coming to a conclusion that morality has a foundation in society. I dont believe in appeal to emotions, nor polarity, nor social norms, nor the government or claimed authority... They are all problematic...

the Bible on the other hand is perfect.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #7

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Compassionist wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:34 am
The Bible is false and unethical. I don't know how Christians simply turn a blind eye to all the atrocities committed by God and his followers in the Bible. Please see https://www.evilbible.com
The real question is how can man ignore his own short comings, limitations, or sins in the interpretation of external events?

What are we to believe, perfect morality (or an understanding of morality) comes from you? Surely no one can believe that, right?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:06 pm

Im just saying man, if you write a 20 page habeas corpus to the courts, they just dismiss it without even reading it on any technical ground. As much as I appreciate the Cosmic Skeptic, some of the videos are just too long with a bunch of points I have already heard...

As for what you said, I find a hard time coming to a conclusion that morality has a foundation in society. I dont believe in appeal to emotions, nor polarity, nor social norms, nor the government or claimed authority... They are all problematic...

A perfect shambles, you mean. I have a hard time accepting your claim that the court will not read a 20 point document that might debunk an accusation because it is too long, but I have no trouble at all in supposing that you won't watch a video rather shorter than a Megachurch service that contains some things you would rather not hear. Neither do I have a problem in accepting human life, society and ethics for what it is, rather than improbable faithclaims based on what you have been taught to believe.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #9

Post by Shem Yoshi »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:48 pm
Shem Yoshi wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:06 pm

A perfect shambles, you mean. I have a hard time accepting your claim that the court will not read a 20 point document that might debunk an accusation because it is too long, but I have no trouble at all in supposing that you won't watch a video rather shorter than a Megachurch service that contains some things you would rather not hear. Neither do I have a problem in accepting human life, society and ethics for what it is, rather than improbable faithclaims based on what you have been taught to believe.
The court did it to me. First hand experience, and i was told why, it was too long, what you are having a hard time accepting could be actually true, imagine that... That is all besides the point... (and the video is too long, simple as that)....

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

[Replying to Shem Yoshi in post #9]

As in many anecdotal claims I have to have reservations as I can make no sense of a court submission rejected for that reason. The council would object and a shortened version could be provided. Not refusalto listen and that's the end of it. You could just listen to the first five, couldn't you?