Should ALL Christians eat and drink the emblems of Jesus?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Should ALL Christians eat and drink the emblems of Jesus?

Post #1

Post by Eloi »

That's this topic about: Should ALL Christians partake of the symbols of Christ?

First idea: To whom did Christ tell that he was making a covenant with, so they will be kings and judges?

Luke 22:24 However, there also arose a heated dispute among them over which one of them was considered to be the greatest. 25 But he said to them: “The kings of the nations lord it over them, and those having authority over them are called Benefactors. 26 You, though, are not to be that way. But let the one who is the greatest among you become as the youngest, and the one taking the lead as the one ministering. 27 For which one is greater, the one dining or the one serving? Is it not the one dining? But I am among you as the one serving.
28 “However, you are the ones who have stuck with me in my trials; 29 and I make a covenant with you, just as my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom, 30 so that you may eat and drink at my table in my Kingdom, and sit on thrones to judge the 12 tribes of Israel.

Second idea: If during the great tribulation Jesus separates sheep from goats according to what humans did to their brothers, who would be his brothers, and who would be the sheep selected for having treated them well? (Matt. 25:31-46).

Matt. 25:31 “When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit down on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will put the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left.
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right: ‘Come, you who have been blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the founding of the world. 35 For I became hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you received me hospitably; 36 naked and you clothed me. I fell sick and you looked after me. I was in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous ones will answer him with the words: ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and receive you hospitably, or naked and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 In reply the King will say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ ...

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: Should ALL Christians eat and drink the emblems of Jesus?

Post #11

Post by Eloi »

There are people who tell others to partake of the emblems during the memorial, as if they are authorized to give permission for it.

On the other hand, Paul warns:

1 Cor. 11:26 For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he comes.
27 Therefore, whoever eats the loaf or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will be guilty respecting the body and the blood of the Lord. 28 First let a man approve himself after scrutiny, and only then let him eat of the loaf and drink of the cup. 29 For the one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment against himself. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and quite a few are sleeping in death. 31 But if we would discern what we ourselves are, we would not be judged.

Who should we listen to?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by Eloi »

We do not have to give you any explanation, nor do we need your authorization or permission for anything, nor do we care if you think you should condemn our beliefs or practices. We do not work for you and you are just an independent person who believes you have personal revelations, so you will believe and do everything that your own imagination dictates at your own convenience.

We have sufficiently studied out of the Bible what we do and it has been approved by our God and his Christ... We know it for all the blessings that we as a people receive.

If you are not interested in what we have to teach you, we are much less interested in what you have to tell us coming from your own individual imagination or personal way on interpreting what you individually read out of the Bible.

Even a separate member of the Governing Body of JWs cannot do anything of his own accord. He must meet with the rest of the members of the Body and they must discuss the matter as a whole, and then obey the conclusion individually, collectively and worldwide in the case of every other servant of Jehovah in the world. Here we do not play to the illuminati.

tam
Savant

Post #13

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Eloi wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:00 pm There are people who tell others to partake of the emblems during the memorial, as if they are authorized to give permission for it.
There are people who tell others NOT to partake of the emblems during the memorial, as if they are authorized to deny permission for it.

I am just pointing out what Christ said on the matter (see first post on this thread).
On the other hand, Paul warns:

1 Cor. 11:26 For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he comes.
27 Therefore, whoever eats the loaf or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will be guilty respecting the body and the blood of the Lord. 28 First let a man approve himself after scrutiny, and only then let him eat of the loaf and drink of the cup. 29 For the one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment against himself. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and quite a few are sleeping in death. 31 But if we would discern what we ourselves are, we would not be judged.
Paul could not have been talking about people not being permitted to eat or drink because they had an 'earthly hope instead of a heavenly hope'. He could not have been talking about that because no such doctrine existed. Besides which, Paul ends his criticism of the Corinthians by telling them that they should ALL eat together.

This was explained more fully here:

viewtopic.php?p=1113925#p1113925

Who should we listen to?

As I said, I will listen to Christ. What others choose to do, and to whom others choose to listen... well, that is up to them. But I find it very sad when anyone chooses to listen to men/religion or anything else instead of to Christ. Christ is the One who gave His life that we may live. No religion has done that. Yet people still choose to listen to religion instead of to Christ. It is very sad.

Peace again to you, and to you all.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Eloi »

Again: what you decide to do works for you... we are not interested.

Or do you think that we are going to do whatever think any of the millions of individuals in the world who believe that they receive personal revelations from God?

I worked for many years in a psychiatric hospital... a patient jumped from the roof saying that he would fly, because he was Jesus Christ... and he killed himself. Pitiful man.

tam
Savant

Post #15

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Eloi wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:07 pm We do not have to give you any explanation, nor do we need your authorization or permission for anything, nor do we care if you think you should condemn our beliefs or practices. We do not work for you and you are just an independent person who believes you have personal revelations, so you will believe and do everything that your own imagination dictates at your own convenience.
Except that I posted Christ's direct words on the matter of eating His flesh and drinking His blood.

You have not.

Please also note that YOU started a thread ASKING the members of this forum, "Should all Christians eat and drink the emblems of [Jesus]?" It is not like I came to your house uninvited and started telling you what you should or should not do. I answered the question that you asked in your OP on a public forum.
We have sufficiently studied out of the Bible what we do and it has been approved by our God and his Christ... We know it for all the blessings that we as a people receive.

If you are not interested in what we have to teach you, we are much less interested in what you have to tell us coming from your own individual imagination or personal way on interpreting what you individually read out of the Bible.
The last time I checked, this is not a "JW Teaching Forum".

If you start a thread asking a question, I am permitted to respond. You can accept, refrain, engage, ignore... that is up to you... but you are not the only person reading these threads.

Peace again to you and to you all.
Last edited by tam on Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Eloi »

Mmmh, wishful thinking ... you won't be the friend of Jehovah that will tell him to hate his witnesses ... the idea makes me laugh. You talking to Jehovah against the JWs. It is not for nothing that you have tried to ally yourself with the apostates who have become enemies of the witnesses, after having called us brothers for so many years. They and you are together because you deserve each other. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Rev. 12:10 I heard a loud voice in heaven say:
“Now have come to pass the salvation and the power and the Kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ, because the accuser of our brothers has been hurled down, who accuses them day and night before our God! 11 And they conquered him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their witnessing, and they did not love their souls even in the face of death."

Have a good night.

tam
Savant

Post #17

Post by tam »

Peace again to you,
Eloi wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:32 pm Mmmh, wishful thinking ... you won't be the friend of Jehovah that will tell him to hate his witnesses ... the idea makes me laugh.
This is purely out of your own imagination. Or is this something you are doing with regard to me?

Because I would never ask my Father in heaven (whose name is JAH) to hate anyone, not even actual apostates (of which my dear brothers and sisters are NOT). Christ told us to PRAY for those who persecute us, to bless those who curse us, to forgive, to love our enemies, etc. He, Himself, asked forgiveness for those who wronged Him, even killed Him. I know that I am to listen to Him and that I am to follow His example.

Peace still to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Eloi »

Certainly, I don't feel anything pleasant when someone who hates my brothers tries to start a conversation about things that have to do with the good and just God we worship.

Sorry, but do not try to engage in any dialog with me. You can write in my threads what you want, though. I do not talk with people who make themselves enemies of my brothers and sisters and friends with the apostates.

Good bye.

tam
Savant

Post #19

Post by tam »

Peace again to you all,
Eloi wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:54 pm Certainly, I don't feel anything pleasant when someone who hates my brothers tries to start a conversation about things that have to do with the good and just God we worship.
Please note, dear reader, that I do not hate anyone. Just because I cannot agree with something someone believes does not mean that I hate that person. Just because I cannot agree with a religion does not mean I hate the people who belong to that religion.

I have shared as my dear Lord Jaheshua has said on this matter. I even quoted Him directly from what is written. Are we not supposed to test the inspired expression? Are we not supposed to hold all things up to Christ? To remain in His word? To obey His commands?

I am FOR Christ.

I am HIS witness.

(And seriously, how can a person be an apostate who listens to Christ and follows Him? On the other hand, a religion that contradicts Christ in its teachings, even teaching others not to do things that Christ said TO do... what would you call that? People who followed Christ to worship the Father in spirit and in truth would also have been considered 'apostates' by the Pharisees and other leaders of that religion. But that would not have made the accusation true.)

Peace again to you all.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #20

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to tam in post #6]

Christ's commands were that his Apostles and all other anointed followers would drink and eat unto the covenant he made with them to rule in heaven with him. That is the anointed co-rulers who are to reign over the earth and guide those of the "other sheep" in cleaning up the planet and helping to rearrange everything to where everyone has a place to live, etc. There are 144,000 co-rulers who have the authority to partake of the bread and wind at the Memorial of his death. The rest of us---millions of us---gather with them to show our appreciation for Jesus' sacrifice. We just refrain from partaking of the emblems which are reserved for Jesus' co-rulers. They are made to "be a kingdom and priests to our God, and they are to rule as kings over the earth." (Revelation 5:10)