WHEN DID CHRIST GO INTO HELL?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

WHEN DID CHRIST GO INTO HELL?

Post #1

Post by Eddie Ramos »

To be more specific, my question for this thread is at what point between Christ's death on the cross on Friday afternoon in 33 A.D., and his resurrection Sunday morning, did his soul go into hell (the grave)? Doesn't the Bible tell us that his soul went with the thief to paradise that very day?

Luke 23:42–43 (KJV 1900)
And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. 43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

But we know that his soul was indeed in hell (the grave) because of this passage:

Psalm 16:10 (KJV 1900)
For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell;
Neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

And rather than responding with what scholars think or what the general consensus is, please open and use the scriptures to provide the answers, as the scriptures are the authority of the children of God. My goal here is to show that there is no way to harmonize these two scriptures with the Bible if we believe that Christ died only once, at the cross in 33 A.D. But if we can see that he died twice (once before the world began and then again at the cross in 33 A.D.) then we have perfect harmony with the scriptures.

Miles
Savant

Re: WHEN DID CHRIST GO INTO HELL?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

For what it's worth, most of the commentaries I looked at identify the speaker in Psalm 16:10 as David, not Jesus.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

The word often translated as HELL in most English bibles is SHEOL which refers to the symbolic "common grave" of mankind, ie the condition everyone (human or animal) is in when they die.

Jesus was in bible "HELL" ie Jesus was dead, for three days after he was executed in the first century.

JW

RELATED POSTS
Did Jesus really die?
viewtopic.php?p=909895#p909895

Would Jesus need to "stay dead" for the Ransom to be valid?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 80#p875280

How many times did Jesus die?
viewtopic.php?p=1114484#p1114484
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

BIBLE "HELL", THE CONDITION OF THE DEAD and ...HELLFIRE TORTURE DEBUNKED
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

DID JESUS DIE TWO TIMES?
1 PETER 3:18

For Christ died once for all time for sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones, in order to lead you to God. He was put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by boatsnguitars »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:14 am DID JESUS DIE TWO TIMES?

For Christ died once for all time for sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones, in order to lead you to God. He was put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit
Which contradicts claims that he was bodily resurrected...
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by boatsnguitars »

― Omar Khayyâm

onewithhim
Savant

Post #7

Post by onewithhim »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:13 pm To be more specific, my question for this thread is at what point between Christ's death on the cross on Friday afternoon in 33 A.D., and his resurrection Sunday morning, did his soul go into hell (the grave)? Doesn't the Bible tell us that his soul went with the thief to paradise that very day?

Luke 23:42–43 (KJV 1900)
And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. 43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

But we know that his soul was indeed in hell (the grave) because of this passage:

Psalm 16:10 (KJV 1900)
For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell;
Neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

And rather than responding with what scholars think or what the general consensus is, please open and use the scriptures to provide the answers, as the scriptures are the authority of the children of God. My goal here is to show that there is no way to harmonize these two scriptures with the Bible if we believe that Christ died only once, at the cross in 33 A.D. But if we can see that he died twice (once before the world began and then again at the cross in 33 A.D.) then we have perfect harmony with the scriptures.
"Hell" is actually the grave. Many versions of the Bible have screwed up the meaning of it, but it's obvious if one does some research. When Jesus was in "hell," he was actually in the grave---the tomb that was prepared for him. We have no "soul" that separates from us when we die. Jesus simply was dead in the tomb for three days. His "soul" didn't go anywhere. Then, after the three days, he was brought back to life. So Jesus being in "hell" meant that he was in the grave for three days.

When he said to the thief beside him that that man would be with him in Paradise, he didn't say they would be there that day. The comma changes the meaning, and it's important where we put the comma. It can be read: "Verily I tell you today, you will be with me in Paradise." Remember that there is no punctuation in Hebrew or Greek. The comma was placed before "today" by some scribe that believed in the flight of the "soul" to heaven after the death of the individual. The comma after "today" means that the thief will be with Jesus in Paradise, but it doesn't indicate exactly when that will be. We are still waiting for Jesus to come back and take care of all wickedness on the earth. The thief is still in his grave. He will be resurrected "in the last day." (John 6:40,44)

(Sometimes a version will make a note of the fact that "hell" is the grave; e.g., at Revelation 20:13,14 I've seen the KJV make that note that where it says "hell" (Hades) it means the grave.) Many versions just follow the King James Version which leaves quite a bit to be desired. That version gives three words the same meaning when they are all different. Hell, Gehenna, and Tartarus are all called "hell." That is unfortunate because it has caused much confusion. It behooves us to compare versions and include an interlinear version, and do some research on the meanings of the three confused words.

Hell = the grave
Gehenna = a garbage dump symbolizing complete destruction
Tartarus = the demons' dark spiritual existence (2Peter 2:4)

Keep this in mind and it clears up many questions.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:44 am

Correct: If Jesus was resurrected as a human on a human body, he would have had ro die a 2nd time in order to get to heaven.

The bible say Christ was raised as a spirit.

JW

Further reading: The resurrection of Jesus: Did it really happen?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/maga ... n-of-jesus

Was Jesus resurrected as a human being?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 44#p909944

Was Jesus resurrected in a spiritual or physical body?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 16#p753616

If Jesus was resurrected as a spirit, how could he show Thomas the sounds on his body?
viewtopic.php?p=1063505#p1063505

Why did Jesus' disciples not recognise him after his resurrection?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 49#p967749

Why could God not simply give Jesus back his old body?
viewtopic.php?p=1035994#p1035994

If Jesus was not raised in the same body, why was the tomb empty?
viewtopic.php?p=1036029#p1036029

Was Mary able to touch the risen Christ?
viewtopic.php?p=908706#p908706

Where did the ascension take place?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 61#p926561
To read more please go to other posts related to...

THE RESURRECTION , JESUS RESURRECTION and ... RESSURECTION CHRONOLOGY
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #9

Post by onewithhim »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:43 am

Exactly. The Scriptures show that Jesus was resurrected as a spirit person, the same as he was before he came to Earth.

"The first man Adam became a living soul. The last Adam became a life-giving spirit." (I Corinthians 15:45)

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by boatsnguitars »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:27 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:43 am

Exactly. The Scriptures show that Jesus was resurrected as a spirit person, the same as he was before he came to Earth.

"The first man Adam became a living soul. The last Adam became a life-giving spirit." (I Corinthians 15:45)
How does spirit die? I thought he died for our sins?
― Omar Khayyâm