WHEN DID CHRIST GO INTO HELL?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

WHEN DID CHRIST GO INTO HELL?

Post #1

Post by Eddie Ramos »

To be more specific, my question for this thread is at what point between Christ's death on the cross on Friday afternoon in 33 A.D., and his resurrection Sunday morning, did his soul go into hell (the grave)? Doesn't the Bible tell us that his soul went with the thief to paradise that very day?

Luke 23:42–43 (KJV 1900)
And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. 43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

But we know that his soul was indeed in hell (the grave) because of this passage:

Psalm 16:10 (KJV 1900)
For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell;
Neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

And rather than responding with what scholars think or what the general consensus is, please open and use the scriptures to provide the answers, as the scriptures are the authority of the children of God. My goal here is to show that there is no way to harmonize these two scriptures with the Bible if we believe that Christ died only once, at the cross in 33 A.D. But if we can see that he died twice (once before the world began and then again at the cross in 33 A.D.) then we have perfect harmony with the scriptures.

MadJW
Student

Re: WHEN DID CHRIST GO INTO HELL?

Post #91

Post by MadJW »

Jesus went to 'hell' (the grave) when he was dead (yes DEAD), upon which God resurrected him (as He promised).

MissKate13
Sage

Post #92

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to Eddie Ramos in post #1]

The Greek term is Hades, which is the realm of the dead. Hell is an English word, and should always be studied in context.

Hades contains Both Paradise (which is where the thief would be that day with Jesus), and Tartarus, the abode of the wicked dead.

The word Tartarus is mentioned by Peter: “God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to “tartaroo” , putting them in chains of darkness to be held for judgment” (2 Peter 2:4).
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

onewithhim
Savant

Post #93

Post by onewithhim »

MissKate13 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:43 am [Replying to Eddie Ramos in post #1]

The Greek term is Hades, which is the realm of the dead. Hell is an English word, and should always be studied in context.

Hades contains Both Paradise (which is where the thief would be that day with Jesus), and Tartarus, the abode of the wicked dead.

The word Tartarus is mentioned by Peter: “God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to “tartaroo” , putting them in chains of darkness to be held for judgment” (2 Peter 2:4).
The Greek term is indeed "Hades," and it is where the dead are---truly dead, not alive in some spirit form. It is the common grave of mankind. It does not contain Paradise or Tartarus. Paradise is what the earth will be like under Jesus' rule. Tartarus is where the evil spirits in Noah's day were consigned---a realm of spiritual darkness.

Many Bible versions attach the word "Hell" to all these things:

Hades....the realm of the dead
Gehenna.....a garbage dump outside Jerusalem that burned up the trash
Tartarus....the abode of the evil demons after the flood in Noah's day

All are called "hell" by the KJV, for example, and that is very misleading. They are not all the same. You contradicted yourself when you said that Tartarus is the abode of the wicked dead, and then you quoted Peter who said that the occupants of Tartarus are angels (who are not dead). And, BTW, the thief and Jesus would not be in Paradise that same day, because Jesus was dead in his grave for three days. Really dead, not a spirit person as yet. He waited three days to be resurrected. He was not conscious when he was dead. Then after his resurrection he stayed on the physical earth for many more days, as a spirit person (IPeter 3:18,19) He was never in Paradise. The thief awaits a resurrection to the physical earth, where he will be under Jesus' benevolent rule, in Paradise.