Why is Jesus called the Word, the Logos of God?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Why is Jesus called the Word, the Logos of God?

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

Why is Jesus called the Word (Logos) of God?

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14)

He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. (Rev. 19:13)

The short answer to the OP question would be because Jesus was the embodiment of God’s message to us.

If I speak a word, that word is a part of me, is it not? If I respond to a post from you, you associate that post with me. They are my words. You cannot separate me from my words. They are an “exact representation” of me. Yes, you are reading them from a phone or computer screen, but those words belong to me. I am in control of them and responsible for them.

It is no different than the relationship between God the Father, and His Son, Jesus, the Word. The words Jesus spoke were from the Father (John 12:49). Jesus was the embodiment of the words spoken by the Father, the Father’s words in the physical body of Jesus.

Just as I cannot separate my words from me, Jesus, the Word of God, could not be separated from the Father. Just as I can send my words out in a forum post, the Father sent His words out in the body of Jesus.

This is why Jesus would say “I and the Father are one” John 10:30). It is why he could say “…You, the Father, are in Me, and I am in You” (John 17:21). It is why Jesus would say, “…Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father…” (John 14:9). And why He would say, “For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me” (John 6:38)

This is why I believe the Father is YHWH, the Son is YHWH, and the Holy Spirit is YHWH. Each has a role. The Father is greater in position. He controls both the Son and the Spirit, who is the power behind the words of the Father.

Why did Jesus pray to the Father? Why did he submit to the Father’s will? The answer is simple. The Father was in control of His Word, just as we are in control of our words.

The Father, His Word (the logos) and His Spirit have always existed as the ONE and only true YHWH! They cannot be separated!
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Why is Jesus called the Word, the Logos of God?

Post #21

Post by JehovahsWitness »

CAN WORDS BE SEPERATE FROM THE SPEAKER?

Biblically yes. NOTE Isaiah 55:11

ISAIAH 55:11 - New King James Version

So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

Although the words still "belong" to YHWH Jehovah meaning they will still be attributed to him as their originator, the words themselve are sent away from Him. If the words were inseperable from God he would have to go with them. (Note the words eventually "return" to God which would be impossible if they were never seperated)
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #22

Hello misskate, I hope you are well.

MissKate13 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:48 am [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #10]

Do your words belong to you, JW?

Yes
MissKate13 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:48 amWhen you speak them, are they a part of you?

I dont know what you mean. They start in my mouth or at the touch of my pen to paper. At that moment they cannot be found inside my body
MissKate13 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:48 am Is there ever a time when your words can not be a representation of you?

No

MissKate13 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:48 amHow can yo separate the Word of God from God who spoke His word into existence?

I suppose you are refering to Jesus, and askng how they came to be in different locations. How did this happen? The bible says by God sending him to earth while by all accounts He himself (YHWH) remained in heaven. Thus they came to be seperated geographically.

God has always existed, so they (Jesus and the Father) would not have been together before "God who spoke His word into existence"

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

MissKate13
Sage

Post #23

Post by MissKate13 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:58 am IN WHAT WAY ARE JESUS AND HIS FATHER INSEPERABLE?

Jesus and his father are inseperable in they remain entirely united in thought and purpose. They are never in disagreement as to what is the right thing to do.

Can the person of Jesus literally be separated from God, as in, can he be in a different location to his Father?

Evidently yes since when on earth Jesus said "l am going my way to the Father " Obviously Jesus was indicating that at the moment of speaking he was not literally with his Father. They were in different locations : Jesus was on the planet earth while YHWH was in heaven. If they were both literally in the same location he would not have said he was going to his Father.

DOES THE FACT THAT JESUS REPRESENTS GOD MAKE YHHW AND JESUS DIFFERENT NAMES FOR THE SAME PERSON?

While it is fair to say just as our words represent the thoughts in our minds, that Jesus REPRESENTED Jehovah (YWHH), communicating Jehovahs thoughts and feelings to other. This does not mean that Jesus could not be a seperate individual. Jesus is not literally Gods thoughts and words, he is a powerful spirit son of God.
No one disputes that the Father and the Logos were in separate locations, just as my words are in a separate location from me when you read them. However, my words are no less my words just because they have traveled from me to you. My words are a part of me. The words Jesus spoke were from the Father, therefore, those words were a part of Him. You cannot deny that.

The Word of God was made flesh (John 1:14). Jesus was and is the Word of God. He was the Logos before He became flesh.

Try thinking beyond the physical, JW. Think about the whole concept of the Word being with God from a spiritual standpoint. We are told the Word was with God from the beginning. There was no location separation. Will you also say that the Word wasn’t God at that point in time?

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:05 am Why is Jesus called the Word (Logos) of God?
Because that is what someone called him, as you quote below:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14)

He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. (Rev. 19:13)

My question is "Was Jesus ever quoted as referring to himself as "The Word of God?" and a quick internet search doesn't seem to show me anything other than someone else making that claim.
The short answer to the OP question would be because Jesus was the embodiment of God’s message to us.
In that case it can be said that Jesus was an Angel, because that is what Angels are - "messengers" of "YHVH" - voicing the will of YHVH.
If I speak a word, that word is a part of me, is it not? If I respond to a post from you, you associate that post with me. They are my words. You cannot separate me from my words. They are an “exact representation” of me. Yes, you are reading them from a phone or computer screen, but those words belong to me. I am in control of them and responsible for them.
This is not necessarily true. The best one can argue is that currently the words one uses represents the one using them at the time they are being used.
Otherwise you would have no means of changing your position if and when necessary. Indeed, you would have no means in which to recognize that you would even need to change your position. Dogmatism is simply a wee escape room where one can run when one's position is threatened and I have noted that it is not only theists who have/hold such panic-rooms. [a secret room in a house or other building that is designed to be invulnerable to attack or intrusion.]
It is no different than the relationship between God the Father, and His Son, Jesus, the Word. The words Jesus spoke were from the Father (John 12:49). Jesus was the embodiment of the words spoken by the Father, the Father’s words in the physical body of Jesus.
That is definitely the claim coming from the biblical character. I am unclear as to whether Jesus can be seen outside of the bible to be that thing the bible claims of him.
Just as I cannot separate my words from me, Jesus, the Word of God, could not be separated from the Father. Just as I can send my words out in a forum post, the Father sent His words out in the body of Jesus.
Here's the thing about that. We are informed that Jesus has left the building. We are informed that the words he spoke were left, and ended up in a book called the Bible.
WE do not see any particular power of YHVH behind the words which were left to us in print, or what world-changing effect "The Word of YHVH-through the Angel Jesus" has had.
What we do see, are folk calling themselves "Christians" bickering consistently on interpretations of this so-called "Word" having gone their separate ways...all apparently having their little piece of YHVH's power-pie to chew upon, but "change the world"?

Perhaps the whole point of Jesus was to show the world that without him around telling how things should be done, things won't be done how thing should be done?

This is why Jesus would say “I and the Father are one” John 10:30). It is why he could say “…You, the Father, are in Me, and I am in You” (John 17:21). It is why Jesus would say, “…Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father…” (John 14:9). And why He would say, “For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me” (John 6:38)

This is why I believe the Father is YHWH, the Son is YHWH, and the Holy Spirit is YHWH. Each has a role. The Father is greater in position. He controls both the Son and the Spirit, who is the power behind the words of the Father.

Why did Jesus pray to the Father? Why did he submit to the Father’s will? The answer is simple. The Father was in control of His Word, just as we are in control of our words.

The Father, His Word (the logos) and His Spirit have always existed as the ONE and only true YHWH! They cannot be separated!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #25

MissKate13 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:54 amWill you also say that the Word wasn’t God at that point in time?
Hello MissKate,

Thank you for your question, I will try to answer it as succinctly as I can...

If you are asking if I would say "The Word (Jesus) wasn't YHWH Almighty God at that time then my anwser is yes, I would say that the Word wasn’t God (YHWH Almighty God, the Father) at that point in time.

I hope that is clear. Do let me know if there has been something you would like addressed that I have failed to.

Have a great and most wonderful day,

JW

MissKate13
Sage

Post #26

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to William in post #24]

It seems you lack faith in the Scriptures themselves. If you can’t trust what the apostle John had to say, then a discussion with you of who Jesus is is a waste of my time.

otseng
Savant

Post #27

Post by otseng »

MissKate13 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:38 pm [Replying to William in post #24]

It seems you lack faith in the Scriptures themselves. If you can’t trust what the apostle John had to say, then a discussion with you of who Jesus is is a waste of my time.
Moderator Comment

Please debate without making comments about others.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Savant

Post #28

Post by 1213 »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:05 am ...

This is why I believe the Father is YHWH, the Son is YHWH, and the Holy Spirit is YHWH. Each has a role. The Father is greater in position. He controls both the Son and the Spirit, who is the power behind the words of the Father. ....
In that case, are disciples of Jesus also YHWH when they are the same way one with God?

I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them through your name which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are.
John 17:11

that they may all be one; even as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that you sent me.
John 17:21

William
Savant

Post #29

Post by William »

[Replying to 1213 in post #28]

They are all gone. What is left 'that the world might believe'?

A book in which to squabble over...

MissKate13
Sage

Post #30

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #21]

No so JW. Jesus is the way God manifested Himself to the world.

Can the sun be separated from its rays? No it can’t. It is the same with God and His Word. It is how Jesus could say He and The Father are one, and if you’ve seen me, you’ve seen the Father.