ID textbook

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Donray
Guru

ID textbook

Post #1

Post by Donray »

I am trying to find a textbook that explains ID (Intelligent Design). All I can find are anti Evolution. books. Since people want ID taught in schools there must be a textbook. So, can anyone recommend a textbook on ID that does not every try to discredit evolution theory. It should give a timeline and explain for example where Neanderthals and other non-modern humans fit the timeline. If ID thinks there was a flood it should explain the distribution of animals from the ark and also where the different races came from or evolved.

So does ID just try to discredit evolution or is there a real ID theory textbook?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: ID textbook

Post #11

Post by Eloi »

Check this website dedicated to that topic by a group of experts in diferent fields https://intelligentdesign.org
That website got a lot of interesting information for all kind of readers.

Donray
Guru

Post #12

Post by Donray »

Eloi wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:33 pm Check this website dedicated to that topic by a group of experts in diferent fields https://intelligentdesign.org
That website got a lot of interesting information for all kind of readers.
So far everything I looked at is just anti evolution BS. If you look at evaluation textbooks, they do not say how ID is wrong every page. I cannot find a list of ALL plants and animals that God directly created. Also, how much evolution do ID people except? For example, did God create every know dinosaur or a dinosaur kind was created \and evolution created all the others? I have found no explanation thus far.

I am assuming the ID people do not have a textbook for say high school and anther college level, they just want to undermine evolution theory.

Can you tell me when giod would have created Neanderthals? Do you believe in the Noah myth?

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #13

Post by Jose Fly »

Donray wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:53 pm So far everything I looked at is just anti evolution BS.
And that's all you'll ever find. "Intelligent design" is just one form of creationism among many, and there is no stand-alone, positive case for creationism. For over 20 years I've seen countless threads started where people challenge creationists to make a positive case for creationism without resorting to "evolution can't do it, therefore creation", and not a single creationist could do it.

However, if you're already aware of that and started this thread to show it yet again, my apologies.
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

glipsnort

Post #14

Post by glipsnort »

Donray wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:36 am No Christin can answer???? I thought Christion believed in ID (creation) theory?

I guess they (religous people) cannot explain their beliefs.
If you think that most Christians believe in ID theory, you need to learn more about the subject.

Donray
Guru

Post #15

Post by Donray »

glipsnort wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:47 am
Donray wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:36 am No Christin can answer???? I thought Christion believed in ID (creation) theory?

If you think that most Christians believe in ID theory, you need to learn more about the subject.
Are you saying that most Christians don't believe that a god created man and the bible is just myths and does not explain anything about creation?

Don't forget the ID is nothing but rebranded creation theory. i.e. A supernational thing created man and life on earth and even the universe and earth.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #16

Post by The Barbarian »

Miles wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:22 pm
Donray wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:00 pm*
Just as an afterthought, there is a "text book" on intelligent design put out by the intelligent design people themselves.

The Design of Life: Discovering Signs of Intelligence in Biological Systems.

This is the third edition of the infamous Of Pandas and People: The Central Question of Biological Origins.... Of Pandas and People: "is a controversial 1989 (2nd edition 1993) school-level supplementary textbook written by Percival Davis and Dean H. Kenyon, edited by Charles Thaxton and published by the Texas-based Foundation for Thought and Ethics (FTE). The textbook endorses the pseudoscientific concept of intelligent design – the argument that life shows evidence of being designed by an intelligent agent which is not named specifically in the book, although proponents understand that it refers to the Christian God."
source: Wikipedia

More on the book can be found HERE And while it may be hard to find, The Design of Life edition is readily available as a new ($35) and used book (from $13.03).

........... Image.......... Image

Ironically, the Pandas and People book was a straight-up YE creationist work that was edited to remove any specific comments on creation scientists, replacing them with "design advocate" or whatever. Problem was there was a typo in one place that showed the substitution. It was quite an embarrassment at the Dover Trial, and contributed in no small part to the "train wreck" and one IDer labeled the outcome of the trial.

It has, for example the quote-mined snippet from Stephen Gould in which creationists edited to make it appear that Gould denied any transitional fossils.

Miles
Savant

Post #17

Post by Miles »

The Barbarian wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:36 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:22 pm
Donray wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:00 pm*
Just as an afterthought, there is a "text book" on intelligent design put out by the intelligent design people themselves.

The Design of Life: Discovering Signs of Intelligence in Biological Systems.

This is the third edition of the infamous Of Pandas and People: The Central Question of Biological Origins.... Of Pandas and People: "is a controversial 1989 (2nd edition 1993) school-level supplementary textbook written by Percival Davis and Dean H. Kenyon, edited by Charles Thaxton and published by the Texas-based Foundation for Thought and Ethics (FTE). The textbook endorses the pseudoscientific concept of intelligent design – the argument that life shows evidence of being designed by an intelligent agent which is not named specifically in the book, although proponents understand that it refers to the Christian God."
source: Wikipedia

More on the book can be found HERE And while it may be hard to find, The Design of Life edition is readily available as a new ($35) and used book (from $13.03).

........... Image.......... Image

Ironically, the Pandas and People book was a straight-up YE creationist work that was edited to remove any specific comments on creation scientists, replacing them with "design advocate" or whatever. Problem was there was a typo in one place that showed the substitution. It was quite an embarrassment at the Dover Trial, and contributed in no small part to the "train wreck" and one IDer labeled the outcome of the trial.

It has, for example the quote-mined snippet from Stephen Gould in which creationists edited to make it appear that Gould denied any transitional fossils.
Yeah, the "cdesign proponentsists" blunder was a hoot, but I don't recall the Stephen J. Gould incident. Thanks for bringing it up.

glipsnort

Post #18

Post by glipsnort »

Donray wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:56 pm

Are you saying that most Christians don't believe that a god created man and the bible is just myths and does not explain anything about creation?
No. Had I wished to say that, I would have said it. I commented on your statement about (presumably all) Christians believing in 'ID (creation) theory', which is a very specific and niche set of claims related to the Christian doctrine of creation. I very much doubt most Christians have even heard of ID theory much less embraced it. Going by denominational affiliation, most Christians have no problem with the idea that humans evolved. That is, most Christians believe that God created man, that God created every individual man and woman, that humans evolved, and that the Bible is more than just myths. That you think these ideas are contradictory suggests that you really need to learn about the basic issues at play here

Donray
Guru

Post #19

Post by Donray »

glipsnort wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:57 pm

No. Had I wished to say that, I would have said it. I commented on your statement about (presumably all) Christians believing in 'ID (creation) theory', which is a very specific and niche set of claims related to the Christian doctrine of creation. I very much doubt most Christians have even heard of ID theory much less embraced it. Going by denominational affiliation, most Christians have no problem with the idea that humans evolved. That is, most Christians believe that God created man, that God created every individual man and woman, that humans evolved, and that the Bible is more than just myths. That you think these ideas are contradictory suggests that you really need to learn about the basic issues at play here
first I stated that ID is nothing but creationism rebranded. And you are saying the Christinas believe in creation and therefore believe in ID.

My point is that Christins want ID (Creation) taught and yet no one can point to a textbook that explains ID without bashing other theory's.

Miles
Savant

Post #20

Post by Miles »

Donray wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:09 pm
glipsnort wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:57 pm

first I stated that ID is nothing but creationism rebranded. And you are saying the Christinas believe in creation and therefore believe in ID.

My point is that Christins want ID (Creation) taught and yet no one can point to a textbook that explains ID without bashing other theory's.
Just to note, the reason the label "Intelligent Design" ever came into use was as a cover term for creationism in the "textbook" Of Pandas and People, which was published by a "Christian think tank”* in order to get creationism taught in public schools (see Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District). But being creationism, it has no scientific legs to stand on so its plan to gain recognition and acceptance is to attack evolution. Never mind that even if such an attack was successful it still wouldn't lend any credence to creationism. Something it doesn't expect its fellow creationists to catch onto.

* This was The Foundation for Thought and Ethics, a Christian non-profit organization based in Richardson, Texas, that had developed close associations with the Discovery Institute, hub of the intelligent design movement and other religious Christian groups. The Discovery Institute (DI) is a politically conservative non-profit think tank based in Seattle, Washington that advocates the pseudoscientific concept of intelligent design (ID).
Source: Wikipedia