ID textbook

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Donray
Guru

ID textbook

Post #1

Post by Donray »

I am trying to find a textbook that explains ID (Intelligent Design). All I can find are anti Evolution. books. Since people want ID taught in schools there must be a textbook. So, can anyone recommend a textbook on ID that does not every try to discredit evolution theory. It should give a timeline and explain for example where Neanderthals and other non-modern humans fit the timeline. If ID thinks there was a flood it should explain the distribution of animals from the ark and also where the different races came from or evolved.

So does ID just try to discredit evolution or is there a real ID theory textbook?

Miles
Savant

Re: ID textbook

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Donray wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:00 pm I am trying to find a textbook that explains ID (Intelligent Design). All I can find are anti Evolution. books. Since people want ID taught in schools there must be a textbook. So, can anyone recommend a textbook on ID that does not every try to discredit evolution theory. It should give a timeline and explain for example where Neanderthals and other non-modern humans fit the timeline. If ID thinks there was a flood it should explain the distribution of animals from the ark and also where the different races came from or evolved.

So does ID just try to discredit evolution or is there a real ID theory textbook?
Google is your friend: Intelligent Design textbook.

Donray
Guru

Post #3

Post by Donray »

I did try to find using the internet and all the ID books I find are just anti Evolution books. Do you believe in ID? What refence book that is not anti-evolution do you use?

Donray
Guru

Post #4

Post by Donray »

I take it that there is no real textbook on ID. So, what do some people want taught in school?????
I take it that there is no ID or creation theory and just the same old anti evolution stuff with no proof that ID is even anything that can be taught.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Difflugia »

Donray wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:25 amSo, what do some people want taught in school?????
I'm pretty sure ID in schools is a nonissue since Kitzmiller. Even though the ruling only applies to one federal disctrict, nobody has tried to challenge it. Public schools teach science. Private schools that don't, are straight-up creationist and don't bother with ID.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

Donray wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:06 am I did try to find using the internet and all the ID books I find are just anti Evolution books.
But this is what ID is all about, an attempt to invalidate evolution. If evolution didn't exist neither would ID.

Do you believe in ID?
I value rational thought too much. To buy into the ID position one has to be truly ignorant of evolution and gullible. As the editor of Answers In Science said:

"Evolution is a robust scientifically derived observation that has been tested and confirmed again and again over the past 150 years. Intelligent design is not science at all, but a well-financed political and religious campaign to muddy science, and introduce religion in the classroom."

What refence book that is not anti-evolution do you use?
I don't use any because I've long been aware of just how healthy and well supported evolution is. However, there is a web site Talk Origins (<--click on) that looks at both evolution and creationism (ID) and addresses (refutes) the claims of ID.

Donray
Guru

Post #7

Post by Donray »

No Christin can answer???? I thought Christion believed in ID (creation) theory?

I guess they (religous people) cannot explain their beliefs.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Difflugia »

Donray wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:36 amI thought Christion believed in ID (creation) theory?
If you're conflating Intelligent Design and Creation Science as it now seems, then there are a number of textbooks of varying quality. Bob Jones University Press, for example, has a whole creationist science curriculum.
Donray wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:36 amI guess they (religous people) cannot explain their beliefs.
You haven't asked for anyone to "explain their beliefs," but asked for the name of a textbook. Creationism already offers such low-hanging fruit that you should be able to do so much better than simple equivocation.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

Donray wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:00 pm*
Just as an afterthought, there is a "text book" on intelligent design put out by the intelligent design people themselves.

The Design of Life: Discovering Signs of Intelligence in Biological Systems.

This is the third edition of the infamous Of Pandas and People: The Central Question of Biological Origins.... Of Pandas and People: "is a controversial 1989 (2nd edition 1993) school-level supplementary textbook written by Percival Davis and Dean H. Kenyon, edited by Charles Thaxton and published by the Texas-based Foundation for Thought and Ethics (FTE). The textbook endorses the pseudoscientific concept of intelligent design – the argument that life shows evidence of being designed by an intelligent agent which is not named specifically in the book, although proponents understand that it refers to the Christian God."
source: Wikipedia

More on the book can be found HERE And while it may be hard to find, The Design of Life edition is readily available as a new ($35) and used book (from $13.03).

........... Image.......... Image

Donray
Guru

Post #10

Post by Donray »

Both of these books are anti evolution. I asked for a textbook that give a total timeline that would include when Dinosaurs were created when Neanderthals were created and if there was a world flood and how many animals were on the ark and how the many races come about from Noah and his family.

These books just pointy out how evolution could not create things. They do not explain for example when things were created.