Is Christianity homophobic?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Is Christianity homophobic?

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Christians are often accused of being homophobic. So then I question why do people call themselves Christians in this day and age. I've searched the internet for a response. Of course, there are those Christians that try to make a case that homosexuality is not condemned by the Bible. But in this thread, I want to focus on those Christians that believe that being homosexual or engaging in same-sex behavior is wrong.

Here's one perspective I've found:
By Oxford Languages’ definition, homophobia can be as simple as a dislike for or as strong as a prejudice toward LGBT+ community members. While the word “phobia” implies a fear, homophobia has been used to describe everything from refusing to make a cake for a homosexual wedding to death penalties for homosexuals.

Christians are often accused of homophobia, often specifically because we stand for God’s holy design of sexual relations: one man and one woman united in marriage. It is never wrong for Christians to make a stand for biblical principle

However, true homophobia––prejudice against or hatred of homosexuals––is also sin. Prejudice is never biblical. We are never called to hatred but to love others as Christ loved us. Christians should not condone the homosexual lifestyle, but they should also not hate, degrade or condescend to those who identify as homosexual.
Source: https://www.collegianonline.com/2021/03 ... omophobic/

If I'm understanding correctly, it seems the author is trying to make a distinction between disagreeing with homosexuality and "prejudice and hatred of homosexuals". In another place, the author also refers to homophobia as a "fear".

For debate:
1. Is the author's distinction correct? Does 'homophobia' involve any type of belief or action (e.g. simply saying that it is wrong) that goes against homosexuality? Or does it just involve "hatred and prejudice"?

2. Is it even possible to believe that homosexuality is wrong but not to hate it or be prejudiced towards it?
Last edited by AgnosticBoy on Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

LittleNipper
Scholar

Re: Is Christianity homophobic?

Post #91

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:59 am The answer to the OP is yes.

And, if you read the Bible and ask almost every Christian Apologist, they will say two things:

1. Homosexuality is bad. It damages/undermines society. Is anti-life. Is "of Satan." Is sinful. Is to be feared (don't teach it to your children, don't teach it in school, don't show it in books or movies, don't sing about it, etc.).
2. Christianity isn't homophobic.

We simply can't expect Christians to ever give a coherent answer on moral values because they are trying to justify the truth of Bronze Age moral values in the context of contemporary moral values. They know the Bible is against homosexuality, but they know they will be called 'bigots' if they support the Bible - and they don't want to believe the Bible is bigoted.

So they invent clever phrases: "hate the sin, not the sinner" - because this depersonalizes it. It makes them able to hate a dehumanized thing: The Homosexuality itself. But, they get to still harbor hatred for the gay person because they call homosexuality a choice, and they blame the person for choosing homosexuality.

They never contemplate alternatives.

Yes, Christianity is homophobic. It is one of a few religions that teaches to hate and fear homosexuality. However, (luckily) many Christians are poor adherents and choose to be better than their Bible. This is usually where you get the stark contradiction.

However, there are many Apologists who feel they always need to defend both 1 & 2: They feel the Bible is perfect and there are no contradictions or errors, or anything wrong with it - so they will only say good things about it. Like a rabid fan of a sport team: even if they've never won the "The Big Game," the fan still thinks their team is best by other measures. Or, like someone feels about their favorite band.

It's an identity and they can't say anything bad about it. If you point out something wrong, they'll either say you don't understand, or that that flaw is actually - lo and behold - a good thing!

Yes, Christianity is homophobic. You just won't getting Christians to admit to it.
Well, I could just as easily say that it's latent primordial feelings that encourages such animal instincts, and that as such, is what homosexuality is all about --- submitting to the caveman (dog lick/sniff dog roll in the hay backwards expression of primordial sexual activity), and not maturing into the mature sophisticated reality where sex is entirely for procreation and nothing more in this modern age... But I bet that wouldn't suit you either. You're just presenting anti-heterosexual desires to live free like some animal you believe you evolved from. Come on admit it...

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #92

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:34 pm

And, if you read the Bible and ask almost every Christian Apologist, they will say two things:

1. Homosexuality is bad. It damages/undermines society. Is anti-life. Is "of Satan." Is sinful. Is to be feared (don't teach it to your children, don't teach it in school, don't show it in books or movies, don't sing about it, etc.).

We simply can't expect Christians to ever give a coherent answer on moral values because they are trying to justify the truth of Bronze Age moral values in the context of contemporary moral values. They know the Bible is against homosexuality, but they know they will be called 'bigots' if they support the Bible - and they don't want to believe the Bible is bigoted.

So they invent clever phrases: "hate the sin, not the sinner" - because this depersonalizes it. It makes them able to hate a dehumanized thing: The Homosexuality itself. But, they get to still harbor hatred for the gay person because they call homosexuality a choice, and they blame the person for choosing homosexuality.

Yes, Christianity is homophobic. It is one of a few religions that teaches to hate and fear homosexuality. However, (luckily) many Christians are poor adherents and choose to be better than their Bible. This is usually where you get the stark contradiction.

However, there are many Apologists who feel they always need to defend both 1 & 2: They feel the Bible is perfect and there are no contradictions or errors, or anything wrong with it - so they will only say good things about it. Like a rabid fan of a sport team: even if they've never won the "The Big Game," the fan still thinks their team is best by other measures. Or, like someone feels about their favorite band.

It's an identity and they can't say anything bad about it. If you point out something wrong, they'll either say you don't understand, or that that flaw is actually - lo and behold - a good thing!

Yes, Christianity is homophobic. You just won't getting Christians to admit to it.
Well, I could just as easily say that it's latent primordial feelings that encourages such animal instincts, and that as such, is what homosexuality is all about --- submitting to the caveman (dog lick/sniff dog roll in the hay backwards expression of primordial sexual activity), and not maturing into the mature sophisticated reality where sex is entirely for procreation and nothing more in this modern age... But I bet that wouldn't suit you either. You're just presenting anti-heterosexual desires to live free like some animal you believe you evolved from. Come on admit it...
You're a Christian: you believe homosexuality is bad. It's taught that way. It codifies violence against gays.

Your aversion to homosexuality has nothing to do with the teaching that it is evil and warrants the death penalty. However, as Christians are horrible at understand moral values, I would expect you to argue as you have.

And, is sex only for procreation? Are a husband and wife not allowed to enjoy sexual joy and intimacy once they have children?

Yeah, I know, you didn't really think this through, did you?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #93

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:58 am

You're a Christian: you believe homosexuality is bad. It's taught that way. It codifies violence against gays.

Your aversion to homosexuality has nothing to do with the teaching that it is evil and warrants the death penalty. However, as Christians are horrible at understand moral values, I would expect you to argue as you have.

And, is sex only for procreation? Are a husband and wife not allowed to enjoy sexual joy and intimacy once they have children?

Christians do not promote abortion. Homosexuals do not think in terms of possible pregnancies. Proper sexual activity only may result in pregnancy. You didn't think about that...

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #94

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:43 am

Christians do not promote abortion. Homosexuals do not think in terms of possible pregnancies. Proper sexual activity only may result in pregnancy. You didn't think about that...
Is oral sex improper? Pulling out? Inability to get pregnant?

Can you show me in the Bible where it defines "proper" sex? I know Hindus have a great book on this. Seems Christianity missed the boat.

But then, Christians often miss the boat, or at least the little man in it.
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #95

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:18 pm

Can you show me in the Bible where it defines "proper" sex? I know Hindus have a great book on this. Seems Christianity missed the boat.

Genesis 38:6-9
6 Judah got a wife for Er, his firstborn, and her name was Tamar. 7 But Er, Judah’s firstborn, was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death.

8 Then Judah said to Onan, “Sleep with your brother’s wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to raise up offspring for your brother.” 9 But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother’s wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death also.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #96

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:08 pm

6 Judah got a wife for Er, his firstborn, and her name was Tamar. 7 But Er, Judah’s firstborn, was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death.

8 Then Judah said to Onan, “Sleep with your brother’s wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to raise up offspring for your brother.” 9 But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother’s wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death also.
Yes, Christianity is a horrible religion, isn't it? God kills more than Satan in the OT. For nothing.

And what's odd is that Christians can't see these stories for what they are: Conservative, hateful men making laws to control people.

The Christian God is a total monster. Why someone would choose to follow it is either from their own inner hatred, or their cowardice, IMO.

edit: What intrigues me is the cognitive dissonance from Christians when they answer the question "Is Christianity Homophobic?", because they always come back and say, "No! Christianity is all about Love! It's not hateful... But, it does say in the Bible that we were supposed to kill gay people before Jesus, and after - well it's not clear - but that's not being bigoted or homophobic! It's being righteous!"
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #97

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:07 am

Yes, Christianity is a horrible religion, isn't it? God kills more than Satan in the OT. For nothing.

And what's odd is that Christians can't see these stories for what they are: Conservative, hateful men making laws to control people.

The Christian God is a total monster. Why someone would choose to follow it is either from their own inner hatred, or their cowardice, IMO.

edit: What intrigues me is the cognitive dissonance from Christians when they answer the question "Is Christianity Homophobic?", because they always come back and say, "No! Christianity is all about Love! It's not hateful... But, it does say in the Bible that we were supposed to kill gay people before Jesus, and after - well it's not clear - but that's not being bigoted or homophobic! It's being righteous!"
Everything you say about Christians sounds hateful to me. Go back and read what you wrote --- and what exactly do you base YOUR opinions on?

otseng
Savant

Post #98

Post by otseng »

LittleNipper wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:34 pmYou're just presenting anti-heterosexual desires to live free like some animal you believe you evolved from. Come on admit it...
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:58 amHowever, as Christians are horrible at understand moral values

Moderator Intervention

Please cease from the personal attacks.

Moderator interventions do not count as a strike against any posters. They are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels that some sort of intervention is required.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #99

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:27 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:07 am

Everything you say about Christians sounds hateful to me. Go back and read what you wrote --- and what exactly do you base YOUR opinions on?
I admit it. I hate bigotry. I hate homophobia. That does put me squarely at odds with the Bible and the people who believe in it as the writers intended. (That is, there are many very nice Christians who Jesus called "lukewarm." Thank the gods for lukewarm Christians!)

Question to you: Do you feel it is acceptable for a gay person to have a full, rich life, expressing their sexuality as long as it doesn't directly harm others? Do you feel that gay people ought to have an equitable role in society? Do you feel that there ought to be no ramifications for their homosexual desires or actions?

Or not?
― Omar Khayyâm

brunumb
Savant

Post #100

Post by brunumb »

boatsnguitars wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:45 am Question to you: Do you feel it is acceptable for a gay person to have a full, rich life, expressing their sexuality as long as it doesn't directly harm others? Do you feel that gay people ought to have an equitable role in society? Do you feel that there ought to be no ramifications for their homosexual desires or actions?
I am pretty much anti religion so I would like to add another question to your list. If not for religious beliefs, what other reason would one have to deny homosexual people living their lives in the same way that heterosexual people do?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.