Is Christianity homophobic?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Is Christianity homophobic?

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Christians are often accused of being homophobic. So then I question why do people call themselves Christians in this day and age. I've searched the internet for a response. Of course, there are those Christians that try to make a case that homosexuality is not condemned by the Bible. But in this thread, I want to focus on those Christians that believe that being homosexual or engaging in same-sex behavior is wrong.

Here's one perspective I've found:
By Oxford Languages’ definition, homophobia can be as simple as a dislike for or as strong as a prejudice toward LGBT+ community members. While the word “phobia” implies a fear, homophobia has been used to describe everything from refusing to make a cake for a homosexual wedding to death penalties for homosexuals.

Christians are often accused of homophobia, often specifically because we stand for God’s holy design of sexual relations: one man and one woman united in marriage. It is never wrong for Christians to make a stand for biblical principle

However, true homophobia––prejudice against or hatred of homosexuals––is also sin. Prejudice is never biblical. We are never called to hatred but to love others as Christ loved us. Christians should not condone the homosexual lifestyle, but they should also not hate, degrade or condescend to those who identify as homosexual.
Source: https://www.collegianonline.com/2021/03 ... omophobic/

If I'm understanding correctly, it seems the author is trying to make a distinction between disagreeing with homosexuality and "prejudice and hatred of homosexuals". In another place, the author also refers to homophobia as a "fear".

For debate:
1. Is the author's distinction correct? Does 'homophobia' involve any type of belief or action (e.g. simply saying that it is wrong) that goes against homosexuality? Or does it just involve "hatred and prejudice"?

2. Is it even possible to believe that homosexuality is wrong but not to hate it or be prejudiced towards it?
Last edited by AgnosticBoy on Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

brunumb
Savant

Re: Is Christianity homophobic?

Post #41

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #37]

I find the use of the term cis to describe normal men and women offensive. It is obviously necessary to have a term for those who are not identifying as their biological sex or who have undergone surgery in an attempt to change the appearance of their sex. As far as I am concerned, gender dysphoria is a mental condition and it should be addressed as such. Puberty blockers and surgical procedures on the young should not be allowed. Upheaval of social norms such as segregated sport for what is a very small section of society is unwarranted. Men and women are inescapably different as far as biology is concerned. If all that means that I am going to be branded as transphobic, so be it. It is just a demonising term that carries no weight. The truth is that I bear no personal animosity for trans people and am sympathetic towards their problems. But non-trans people are entitled to their own consideration. I just watched a disgraceful clip of a man being interviewed during which he was hatefully abused by a trans woman. The QTI+ activists are going too far.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #42

Post by boatsnguitars »

brunumb wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:29 am [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #37]

I find the use of the term cis to describe normal men and women offensive. It is obviously necessary to have a term for those who are not identifying as their biological sex or who have undergone surgery in an attempt to change the appearance of their sex. As far as I am concerned, gender dysphoria is a mental condition and it should be addressed as such. Puberty blockers and surgical procedures on the young should not be allowed. Upheaval of social norms such as segregated sport for what is a very small section of society is unwarranted. Men and women are inescapably different as far as biology is concerned. If all that means that I am going to be branded as transphobic, so be it. It is just a demonising term that carries no weight. The truth is that I bear no personal animosity for trans people and am sympathetic towards their problems. But non-trans people are entitled to their own consideration. I just watched a disgraceful clip of a man being interviewed during which he was hatefully abused by a trans woman. The QTI+ activists are going too far.
Sure, everyone has the right to their own opinions and beliefs. However, it is also important to recognize that language and terminology are constantly evolving to reflect the diversity of the human experience. The term "cisgender" simply means identifying with the gender that aligns with one's biological sex. It is not meant to be offensive, but rather a neutral descriptor that acknowledges the existence of gender diversity.

Gender dysphoria is recognized as a legitimate medical condition by the World Health Organization and other medical organizations. The recommended treatment for gender dysphoria varies based on individual circumstances and may include puberty blockers or surgery. These interventions have been shown to significantly improve the mental health and well-being of transgender individuals.

It is important to remember that transgender individuals are not seeking to "upheave social norms" but rather to be recognized and accepted for who they are. Transgender athletes participating in sports that align with their gender identity is a matter of fairness and inclusion, not a threat to women's sports. In fact, research has shown that transgender women do not have a competitive advantage over cisgender women in sports.

Using hateful language towards or by anyone, including transgender individuals, is unacceptable. It is important to approach discussions on this topic with empathy and respect for all parties involved.

My question to you: How does someone Trans - either getting hormones, surgery or playing in sports negatively affect you, personally?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Wootah
Savant

Post #43

Post by Wootah »

boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:58 am
Wootah wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:02 am [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #37]

It was a digression but people asked.

I am anti segregation in all sport as well. Sport is for men. As I explained.
That wasn't my point. I'd be in direct opposition to that and I've never heard anyone but incels claim that sports are only for men.
There is nothing lost to allow Trans people to compete in sports, unless one establishes as fact that we MUST enforce a rule that "Penises must run against Penises, Wombs must run against Wombs". Where is this rule written, except in the rule books men have written?

Again, I am sympathetic to the fact that if we always, only, had mixed sports - only the fastest & strongest get to compete - that women would find themselves almost entirely out of professional sports. That's what makes it difficult in the short term. But this is not Trans people''s fault. It is the society they are growing up in, and society will change eventually - as it always does.
It seems you are. What do you think happens if your views above get their way?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

brunumb
Savant

Post #44

Post by brunumb »

boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:50 am Sure, everyone has the right to their own opinions and beliefs. However, it is also important to recognize that language and terminology are constantly evolving to reflect the diversity of the human experience. The term "cisgender" simply means identifying with the gender that aligns with one's biological sex. It is not meant to be offensive, but rather a neutral descriptor that acknowledges the existence of gender diversity.
We already have appropriate terms. Men and women.
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:50 am Gender dysphoria is recognized as a legitimate medical condition by the World Health Organization and other medical organizations. The recommended treatment for gender dysphoria varies based on individual circumstances and may include puberty blockers or surgery. These interventions have been shown to significantly improve the mental health and well-being of transgender individuals.
I am aware that the condition is recognised. What I have observed in my investigations is that the so-called recommended treatment does not necessarily improve the mental health of transgender individuals. Cosmetic and surgical interventions cannot change one's biological nature. It does not necessarily mean that anyone will be more accepted by society, which seems to be one of the most significant issues associated with gender dysphoria. Once children have been drugged and mutilated the outcome is more often a lifetime of physical problems, not to mention the inability to enjoy a normal sex life. Try to suggest that on social media and the mob will just howl you down. The movement comes first, individuals don't really count despite the party line. I believe that we will end up with a generation of sad, sterile individuals who will mostly regret the drastic steps they took to try and overcome what is obviously a mental condition.
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:50 am It is important to remember that transgender individuals are not seeking to "upheave social norms" but rather to be recognized and accepted for who they are.
But that is the outcome regardless. A biological man is not a woman regardless of what their brain might tell them.
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:50 am Transgender athletes participating in sports that align with their gender identity is a matter of fairness and inclusion, not a threat to women's sports. In fact, research has shown that transgender women do not have a competitive advantage over cisgender women in sports.
Show the research. What I have seen is that 'men' competing as women most definitely have an advantage. Inclusion is one thing, fairness another. Would it be fair for an able bodied person to compete in the paralympics? I am currently watching a feature on how people have misrepresented their disabilities in order to win medals. To me, trans competitors are essentially doing the same thing.
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:50 am Using hateful language towards or by anyone, including transgender individuals, is unacceptable. It is important to approach discussions on this topic with empathy and respect for all parties involved.
That does not seem to apply to trans activists who appear to be among the most aggressive and hateful crowd I have seen on social media.
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:50 am My question to you: How does someone Trans - either getting hormones, surgery or playing in sports negatively affect you, personally?
Is that your attempt to disqualify my opinion? How does any of this affect you personally? I fear for the young people being adversely affected by this epidemic. There is not enough long term evidence that drug therapy and surgical interventions on young people prevents suicide or has the beneficial outcomes touted. Greater acceptance of people outside of conventional norms and better treatment of conditions that are obviously of mental origin is what is needed.

Edit: I do not wish to continue this discussion.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #45

Post by boatsnguitars »

Wootah wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:28 am It seems you are. What do you think happens if your views above get their way?
What do you mean?
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #46

Post by boatsnguitars »

brunumb wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:03 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:50 am Sure, everyone has the right to their own opinions and beliefs. However, it is also important to recognize that language and terminology are constantly evolving to reflect the diversity of the human experience. The term "cisgender" simply means identifying with the gender that aligns with one's biological sex. It is not meant to be offensive, but rather a neutral descriptor that acknowledges the existence of gender diversity.
We already have appropriate terms. Men and women.
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:50 am Gender dysphoria is recognized as a legitimate medical condition by the World Health Organization and other medical organizations. The recommended treatment for gender dysphoria varies based on individual circumstances and may include puberty blockers or surgery. These interventions have been shown to significantly improve the mental health and well-being of transgender individuals.
I am aware that the condition is recognised. What I have observed in my investigations is that the so-called recommended treatment does not necessarily improve the mental health of transgender individuals. Cosmetic and surgical interventions cannot change one's biological nature. It does not necessarily mean that anyone will be more accepted by society, which seems to be one of the most significant issues associated with gender dysphoria. Once children have been drugged and mutilated the outcome is more often a lifetime of physical problems, not to mention the inability to enjoy a normal sex life. Try to suggest that on social media and the mob will just howl you down. The movement comes first, individuals don't really count despite the party line. I believe that we will end up with a generation of sad, sterile individuals who will mostly regret the drastic steps they took to try and overcome what is obviously a mental condition.
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:50 am It is important to remember that transgender individuals are not seeking to "upheave social norms" but rather to be recognized and accepted for who they are.
But that is the outcome regardless. A biological man is not a woman regardless of what their brain might tell them.
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:50 am Transgender athletes participating in sports that align with their gender identity is a matter of fairness and inclusion, not a threat to women's sports. In fact, research has shown that transgender women do not have a competitive advantage over cisgender women in sports.
Show the research. What I have seen is that 'men' competing as women most definitely have an advantage. Inclusion is one thing, fairness another. Would it be fair for an able bodied person to compete in the paralympics? I am currently watching a feature on how people have misrepresented their disabilities in order to win medals. To me, trans competitors are essentially doing the same thing.
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:50 am Using hateful language towards or by anyone, including transgender individuals, is unacceptable. It is important to approach discussions on this topic with empathy and respect for all parties involved.
That does not seem to apply to trans activists who appear to be among the most aggressive and hateful crowd I have seen on social media.
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:50 am My question to you: How does someone Trans - either getting hormones, surgery or playing in sports negatively affect you, personally?
Is that your attempt to disqualify my opinion? How does any of this affect you personally? I fear for the young people being adversely affected by this epidemic. There is not enough long term evidence that drug therapy and surgical interventions on young people prevents suicide or has the beneficial outcomes touted. Greater acceptance of people outside of conventional norms and better treatment of conditions that are obviously of mental origin is what is needed.

Edit: I do not wish to continue this discussion.
I wish you didn't enter this discussion in the first place.
― Omar Khayyâm

Wootah
Savant

Post #47

Post by Wootah »

boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:12 am
Wootah wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:28 am It seems you are. What do you think happens if your views above get their way?
What do you mean?
the lines of yours I quoted. Extend the logic if they were put in action and men were playing in women sport. What would happen?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #48

Post by boatsnguitars »

Wootah wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:14 pm
What do you mean?
the lines of yours I quoted. Extend the logic if they were put in action and men were playing in women sport. What would happen?
We'd realize sports are absurd and unnecessary and only feed a base instinct in fragile male egos?
― Omar Khayyâm

Wootah
Savant

Post #49

Post by Wootah »

boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:41 pm
Wootah wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:14 pm
What do you mean?
We'd realize sports are absurd and unnecessary and only feed a base instinct in fragile male egos?
Are you a misandrist?

bjs1
Sage

Post #50

Post by bjs1 »

Moderator Comment

Boatsnguitars and Wootah, please bring the rhetoric down. Boatsnguitars, the suggestion that sports exist to “feed a base instinct in fragile male egos” is way over the line and completely unacceptable here. Wootah, don’t be baited into accusing people of misandry – debate ideas; not people.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin