Moderator: Moderators

Eloi
Banned
Banned

About the book of Acts of the Apostles.

Post #1

Post by Eloi »

Let's talk about that here.

Since the book of Acts had the same writter than the gospel of Luke, it is evident that the gospel was written some time before Acts.

Luke 1:1 Seeing that many have undertaken to compile an account of the facts that are given full credence among us, 2 just as these were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and attendants of the message, 3 I resolved also, because I have traced all things from the start with accuracy, to write them to you in logical order, most excellent Theophilus, 4 so that you may know fully the certainty of the things that you have been taught orally.

Acts 1:1 The first account, O Theophilus, I composed about all the things Jesus started to do and to teach 2 until the day that he was taken up, after he had given instructions through holy spirit to the apostles he had chosen. 3 After he had suffered, he showed himself alive to them by many convincing proofs. He was seen by them throughout 40 days, and he was speaking about the Kingdom of God.

To what year do the scholars date the book of Acts, and what are the reasons why they do it?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: About the book of Acts of the Apostles.

Post #41

Post by Eloi »

In the chapter dedicated to the first letter to Timothy in our book "All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial" you can read some relevant information regarding the events related to Paul and his death:
Luke's account of Paul’s life in the book of Acts ends with Paul in Rome awaiting the outcome of his appeal to Caesar. Paul is shown as dwelling in his own hired house, preaching the Kingdom of God to all who came to him, and doing so “with the greatest freeness of speech, without hindrance.” (Acts 28:30, 31) But in his second letter to Timothy, Paul writes: “I am suffering evil to the point of prison bonds as an evildoer,” and he speaks of his death as imminent. (2 Tim. 2:9; 4:6-8) What a change! In the first instance, he was treated as an honorable prisoner, in the second, as a felon. What had happened between the time of Luke’s comment on Paul’s situation in 61 C.E., at the end of two years in Rome, and Paul’s own writing of his condition to Timothy, which appears to have been written shortly before his death?

The difficulty of fitting the writing of Paul’s letters to Timothy and Titus into the period covered by the book of Acts has led some Bible commentators to the conclusion that Paul was successful in his appeal to Caesar and was released about 61 C.E. Says The New Westminster Dictionary of the Bible: “The closing verse of The Acts accords better with this view [that Paul was released after two years’ confinement] than with the supposition that the imprisonment which has been described ended in the apostle’s condemnation and death. Luke emphasizes the fact that no one hindered his work, thus certainly giving the impression that the end of his activity was not near.” [Footnote: 1970, edited by H. S. Gehman, page 721.] It is, then, to the period between his release from his first imprisonment in Rome and his final imprisonment there, or about 61-64 C.E., that the writing of First Timothy belongs.

On his release from prison, Paul evidently resumed his missionary activity in association with Timothy and Titus. Whether Paul ever reached Spain, as some suppose, is not certain. Clement of Rome wrote (c. 95 C.E.) that Paul came “to the extreme limit of the W[est],” which could have included Spain.[Footnote: The Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. I, page 6, “The First Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians,” chap. V.]
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101990115

A relevant detail is that Luke was a companion of Paul at the end of his earthly career as a missionary for Christ. He said in his second letter to Timothy:

2 Tim. 4:6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my releasing is imminent. 7 I have fought the fine fight, I have run the race to the finish, I have observed the faith. 8 From this time on, there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give me as a reward in that day, yet not to me only, but also to all those who have loved his manifestation. 9 Do your utmost to come to me shortly. (...) 11 Only Luke is with me. Bring Mark along with you, for he is helpful to me in the ministry.

... which shows that Luke was his faithful companion, and the information he had previously recorded in his finished book of Acts of the Apostles had been first hand.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: About the book of Acts of the Apostles.

Post #42

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Eloi wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:04 pm ... which shows that Luke was his faithful companion, and the information he had previously recorded in his finished book of Acts of the Apostles had been first hand.
Where is this "finished book", that we may compare it against claims presented about it?

Just because someone says "I'm telling you what the book would say, it's just I can't produce the book for analysis", that's no reason to believe anything such a claimant may claim about that book.

I can just as well say, "Naw, that book, that I can't produce, it says this whole god and Jesus thing is just the original version of 'The Aristocrats'."
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin