Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Grace acting in real life

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:07 pm
Wootah wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:25 pm ...
All of it came from grace, the invisible hand of God on the market.
I challenge you to show you speak truth in this claim.
Grace is the concept in Christianity of a free gift from God. Now even if you can't see God you might be able to see the free gifts in your life.

Examples:

* In Christianity God dying for our sins means we don't have to do anything to go to heaven apart from accepting the gift.

But this process of grace is everywhere:

* We are born into our families and countries. Who can honestly say they deserve where they are born?

* Evolution - we don't do anything to evolve, it's a random mutation acting on natural selection.

* The sun's light.

This leads us to free markets, which I was challenged on.

Basically, there is nothing governments or you need or can do to do to ensure we all get richer other than enforce basic property rights and thereafter get out of the way and allow the market to transform our lives.

Does anyone want to debate the concept of grace versus works in relation to Christianity, reality, markets, and evolution?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: Grace acting in real life

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

This space will be a pointer to any notes I take.

viewtopic.php?p=1115291#p1115291
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:35 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:07 pm
Wootah wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:25 pm ...
All of it came from grace, the invisible hand of God on the market.
I challenge you to show you speak truth in this claim.
Grace is the concept in Christianity of a free gift from God. Now even if you can't see God you might be able to see the free gifts in your life.

Examples:

* In Christianity God dying for our sins means we don't have to do anything to go to heaven apart from accepting the gift.
I challenge you to show a god has given us anything.
But this process of grace is everywhere:

* We are born into our families and countries. Who can honestly say they deserve where they are born?

* Evolution - we don't do anything to evolve, it's a random mutation acting on natural selection.

* The sun's light.
I challenge you to show a god's involved in any of that.
This leads us to free markets, which I was challenged on.

Basically, there is nothing governments or you need or can do to do to ensure we all get richer other than enforce basic property rights and thereafter get out of the way and allow the market to transform our lives.
I challenge you to show a god's involved in this stuff.
Does anyone want to debate the concept of grace versus works in relation to Christianity, reality, markets, and evolution?
Me! Me! Pick me!

I challenge you to show anything you've posted here is influenced by a god.

The preaching's the easy part. It's the putting truth to it where the problems start.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Post #4

Post by brunumb »

Wootah wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:35 pm In Christianity God dying for our sins means we don't have to do anything to go to heaven apart from accepting the gift.
Except when you read the fine print there are strings attached beyond just saying "thanks for the gift". If you don't comply, you burn forever. So, not really a gift.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

brunumb wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:20 pm
Wootah wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:35 pm In Christianity God dying for our sins means we don't have to do anything to go to heaven apart from accepting the gift.
Except when you read the fine print there are strings attached beyond just saying "thanks for the gift". If you don't comply, you burn forever. So, not really a gift.
It is more like 'you are in hell now and will burn in hell later' do you want to have a relationship with God and get out of that?

brunumb
Savant

Post #6

Post by brunumb »

Wootah wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:35 pm We are born into our families and countries. Who can honestly say they deserve where they are born?
By the grace of God we get the free gift of being born into a family (or no family) where there is no food or shelter and you die before tour first birthday. Yes, who deserves that?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

brunumb
Savant

Post #7

Post by brunumb »

Wootah wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:23 pm
brunumb wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:20 pm
It is more like 'you are in hell now and will burn in hell later' do you want to have a relationship with God and get out of that?
I got a free gift. Why do I need a relationship as well?

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #3]

The topic is grace in real life. Do you see grace in real life do you accept it?

I wrote this in my notes: Grace is the prime mover in everything that we respond to.

Maybe a bit too hyperbolic because love is behind grace but still I like it.

My challenge is to show that these good things don't need our involvement, especially in the terms of markets.

God is always on faith.

But I find it deeply inspiring to see grace in so many places and that my religions is the religion of grace.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:26 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #3]

The topic is grace in real life. Do you see grace in real life do you accept it?
I'm aware of the topic and have challenged your various claims about it.

If you're just here to preach, I'll just dip out everytime the collection plate comes my way.
I wrote this in my notes:
Unless your notes can support your challenged claims they're useless to me.
Grace is the prime mover in everything that we respond to.
Well isn't that special.
Maybe a bit too hyperbolic because love is behind grace but still I like it.
I don't care what you like.

I seek to determine if your challenged claims are true and factual
My challenge is to show that these good things don't need our involvement, especially in the terms of markets.
Your challenge is thst some folks are gonna think you're trying to avoid responsibility for your challenged claims.
God is always on faith.
Facts ain't.

Can you show your challenged claimss are facts?
But I find it deeply inspiring to see grace in so many places and that my religions is the religion of grace.
I don't care what you find inspiring, I seek to determine if your challenged claims can be shown to be truthful

The liar lies and the preacher preaches.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:16 am I don't care what you find inspiring, I seek to determine if your challenged claims can be shown to be truthful
OK - evolution is something that we can't affect. It is random mutations and natural selection.

So what we are is a gift from evolution. Yes or No?