Christian Nationalism American Style

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Zorek

Christian Nationalism American Style

Post #1

Post by Zorek »

Violence has always been at the center of White Christian nationalism: the vow to impose order on those perceived as un-American, if need be with force, either by the police or by wielding a gun themselves. And while the absolute right to gun ownership has been a core belief on the American Right since at least the Reagan years, the allegiance of today’s GOP to guns has never been so brazen or flamboyant. The AR-15—the gun with which a disproportionate number of mass shootings in the US are committed—has become a central part of White Christian nationalist iconography, as well as a stark expression of the violent ideology behind it. On January 6, 2021 a banner with the slogan “God Guns and Guts Made in America, Let’s Keep all Three,” was carried by insurrectionists storming the Capitol. (Religious Dispatches 3.14.23)

Currently there are several prominent Republican elected American officials who are embracing Christian Nationalism and at least one going so far to say that all American Christian should be Christian Nationalist. Last July US Rep Marjorie Taylor Greene said: “We need to be the party of nationalism and I’m a Christian, and I say it proudly, we should be Christian nationalists,” Greene said in an interview. Her self-avowal of Christian nationalism follows her claim that Christian nationalism is “nothing to be afraid of,” and that the “movement” will solve school shootings and “sexual immorality” in America. The German version of Christian nationalism morphed into Nazi flags adorning the exteriors and interiors of churches and the theological premise that Hitler and the Third Reich existed to return Germany to its God-intended dominance over all other nations and races.

1) Is Christian Nationalism truly on the rise in America and/or other countries?
2) Is it dangerous or just a social movement as espoused by Rep Greene?
3) Is the Trump flag the new Nazi flag?
4) Should Christians embrace Christian Nationalism?
To vacillate or not to vacillate, that is the question...or is it?😎

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: Christian Nationalism American Style

Post #2

Post by boatsnguitars »

I was going to start a thread on Christian Nationalism, but realized it might have been done already.

My question: How Christian is Christian Nationalism?

Whay are Christians goals when they talk about being a Christian Nation? What policies are they going to enact from the Bible?

Who would want to live in a country run by Christian Nationalists?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #3

Post by The Barbarian »

"Christian nationalism" is kind of an oxymoron, isn't it?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by boatsnguitars »

The Barbarian wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:22 am "Christian nationalism" is kind of an oxymoron, isn't it?
I don't know. I mean, maybe by some definitions, but it clearly means something to them. Whether or not its rational, I think they mean something by it that fuses the Church and the State; perhaps like the Vatican?

What I don't understand is why most Christians don't support Christian Nationalism, when they believe the Bible is the only book we should ever follow. It's this contradiction that always amazes me.

For example, like poeple who go to Church and say, "Oh, Pastor! You are so pious! I wish I had your Faith! You are truly living the Christ-like life!." Then, away from Church, they say, "Well, I don't believe everyhting in the Bible, I just try to be a good person, etc."

If I knew - KNEW (as in really believed like the Christians here) - that God Himself wrote an Owner's Manual for Humanity, I'd try to adhere to it perfectly, with no reservations - yet, few Christians think that's a good idea.

Likewise, most Christians think CN is a horrible idea.

Meanwhile, I would have no problem have a fully Secular Nation. It wouldn't be authoritarian, or particularly onerous, though I imagine policies would be more science-based than emotional, and that may anooy some people. But, point is, I don't see any problem dropping religion from anything in our lives - but I see the great harm in elevating religion in our lives.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #5

Post by The Barbarian »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:40 am
The Barbarian wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:22 am "Christian nationalism" is kind of an oxymoron, isn't it?
I don't know. I mean, maybe by some definitions, but it clearly means something to them. Whether or not its rational, I think they mean something by it that fuses the Church and the State; perhaps like the Vatican?

What I don't understand is why most Christians don't support Christian Nationalism, when they believe the Bible is the only book we should ever follow. It's this contradiction that always amazes me.

For example, like poeple who go to Church and say, "Oh, Pastor! You are so pious! I wish I had your Faith! You are truly living the Christ-like life!." Then, away from Church, they say, "Well, I don't believe everyhting in the Bible, I just try to be a good person, etc."

If I knew - KNEW (as in really believed like the Christians here) - that God Himself wrote an Owner's Manual for Humanity, I'd try to adhere to it perfectly, with no reservations - yet, few Christians think that's a good idea.

Likewise, most Christians think CN is a horrible idea.

Meanwhile, I would have no problem have a fully Secular Nation. It wouldn't be authoritarian, or particularly onerous, though I imagine policies would be more science-based than emotional, and that may anooy some people. But, point is, I don't see any problem dropping religion from anything in our lives - but I see the great harm in elevating religion in our lives.
Obviously, there are things in the Bible that are not literally true. The Earth isn't flat with a solid dome over it with windows to let rain fall from the water over the dome. Eventually, some Jews had trouble separating this kind of thing from God's actual message to us.