Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

"The Mandelbrot Set: Atheists’ WORST Nightmare"

Post #1

Post by Miles »

One Of The Silliest Arguments For God, Ever

.................................... Dr. Jason Lisle

Like so many educated spokesmen for religion, when Dr. Lisle steps outside his sphere of expertise (Ph.D. astrophysics) he sounds like a blithering pinhead. Not only does he not know what he's talking about, but he starts babbling like a gobsmacked 13 year-old born again Christian. If you can't stand to watch the whole video simply read through the quote below and note the last three sentences——Although, as a writer for Answers in Genesis, none of his little presentation here comes as any surprise.

time mark:22:00-22:58
". . . .What does it mean? We got these wonderful shapes? And it's very pretty Dr. Lyle [sic], but who cares? Well, I want to ask what causes the beauty in fractals because I think you'd agree they're beautiful and they're certainly complex, and so I have to ask what causes the complexity in them? The fact when you zoom in you get not only baby versions of them, but the, the, uh the complexity increases as you zooming, as you zoom in rather than decreases. What's, what's causing that? So let's answer the first one first. What causes the beauty in fractals and I'll have several possibilities. Could it be the man-made color scheme? Now, I told you the colors are arbitrary, Other than we, we always assign black to the, to the set itself and then we assign other colors to the, to the perimeter to make it easier to see. And I'll admit I picked the colors. I think they're pretty. Other people pick other colors, sometimes not always pleasant ones, and shame on them because you know I do have an artistic side. . . . "

And he doesn't appear to be kidding in the least.

So, as Jason Lisle said up front, do you think "there is no secular or atheistic explanation for what he shares" in his video here? A "secret code that only makes sense in the Christian worldview"?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: "The Mandelbrot Set: Atheists’ WORST Nightmare"

Post #2

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:49 amSo, as Jason Lisle said up front, do you think "there is no secular or atheistic explanation for what he shares" in his video here? A "secret code that only makes sense in the Christian worldview"?
I think a lot of people are gobsmacked by the beauty of the universe, and interpret it though the lens of how they understand that universe. This wouldn't be the first person thinking that some aspect of math, science, nature, had tapped them into the divine.

IMO the experience is real even if the god isn't. The fact that it sounds perfectly reasonable to those who experience it and silly to others is at least some evidence of that.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JoeyKnothead »

If the banana doesn't do it, this argument puts the final nail in the coffin of atheism.

A great example of how ignorance can be converted to 'knowledge' with a minimal loss of energy.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by boatsnguitars »

Um, are they, in fact, pretty?
Did he define beauty?
I don't find the beautiful. Interesting, intriguing, complex, etc. Sure, but I wouldn't wear a suit with that pattern, paint my house or buy a carpet of that pattern, or even hang a picture of one. It's just a mathematical pattern. It's not beautiful to me.

Seems like yet another Christian trying to separate himself from the field with some new take to make money. WLC had his schtick, Josh McDowell his, Fred Phelps his... He's just trying to create his brand, and he knows Christians are suckers for this kind of "proof". He's gonna make a lot of money!
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Purple Knight »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:38 pm If the banana doesn't do it, this argument puts the final nail in the coffin of atheism.
Bananas actually disprove god.

1. They're obscene (disproving a prudish god).

2. Instead of lasting, as apples do, they go from green to rotten if you so much as glance at them.

3. They don't taste good.

4. They're mushy and mealy.

5. They're ugly. Yellow is the ugliest colour, except brown. Coincidence that these are the colours of a banana? I think not.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:40 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:38 pm If the banana doesn't do it, this argument puts the final nail in the coffin of atheism.
Bananas actually disprove god.

1. They're obscene (disproving a prudish god).

2. Instead of lasting, as apples do, they go from green to rotten if you so much as glance at them.

3. They don't taste good.

4. They're mushy and mealy.

5. They're ugly. Yellow is the ugliest colour, except brown. Coincidence that these are the colours of a banana? I think not.

I offer what retractions and apologies that are due, and deeply regret my error :wave:
-Punkinhead Martin

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #7

Post by The Barbarian »

The other issue is that the Cavendish banana used by Ray Comfort to "disprove atheism" is actually (shudder) designed by man.

It was carefully bred to have the characteristics we associate with bananas.

As the man says, "nothing bothers me more than a faulty argument for something I believe to be true."

(edited to add "by man")
Last edited by The Barbarian on Fri May 05, 2023 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

I don't think that the Mandelbrot Set or any other fractal set need upset atheists. It - like mathematics - simply shows how something can be infinite in nature.

As far as I am aware, atheism isn't lack of belief in infinity.

Mind you , I didn't watch the video...but after reading the blurb, and I don't think the complexity increases or decreases, as these are created through looping a simple code.

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:42 pm I don't think that the Mandelbrot Set or any other fractal set need upset atheists. It - like mathematics - simply shows how something can be infinite in nature.

As an atheist I can assure you it isn't.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by JoeyKnothead »

William wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:42 pm I don't think that the Mandelbrot Set or any other fractal set need upset atheists. It - like mathematics - simply shows how something can be infinite in nature.

Mind you , I didn't watch the video...but after reading the blurb, and I don't think the complexity increases or decreases, as these are created through looping a simple code.
Yup.

One need merely look at humankind's dooficities to know the infinite exists.
-Punkinhead Martin