65 die from gun suicide
10 survive an attempted gun suicide
1 is killed unintentionally
90 are shot unintentionally and survive
1 is killed by legal intervention*
4 are shot by legal intervention and survive
1 died but the intent was unknown
12 are shot and survive but the intent was unknown

DAILY GUN VIOLENCE IMPACTING CHILDREN AND TEENS (1-17)
Every day, 22 children and teens (1-17) are shot in the United States. Among those:
5 die from gun violence
3 are murdered
17 children and teens survive gunshot injuries
8 are intentionally shot by someone else and survive
2 children and teens either die from gun suicide or survive an attempted gun suicide
8 children and teens are unintentionally shot in instances of family fire — a shooting involving an improperly stored or misused gun found in the home resulting in injury or death

ANNUAL GUN VIOLENCE IMPACTING PEOPLE OF ALL AGES IN THE U.S.
Every year, 117,345 people are shot. Among those:
40,620 people die from gun violence
15,343 are murdered
76,725 people survive gunshot injuries
34,566 are intentionally shot by someone else and survive
23,891 die from gun suicide
3,554 survive an attempted gun suicide
492 killed unintentionally
547 are killed by legal intervention
1,376 are shot by legal intervention and survive
347 die but the intent was unknown
4,471 are shot and survive but the intent is unknown
547 women are killed by their husband or male dating partner**

ANNUAL GUN VIOLENCE IMPACTING CHILDREN AND TEENS (AGES 1-17)
Every year, 7,957 children and teens are shot in the United States. Among those:
1839 children and teens die from gun violence
992 are murdered
6,294 children and teens survive gunshot injuries
2,788 are intentionally shot by someone else and survive
693 die from gun suicide
166 survive an attempted gun suicide
10 are killed by legal intervention
101 are shot by legal intervention and survive
99 are killed unintentionally
2,893 are shot unintentionally and survive
38 die but the intent was unknown
380 are and survive shot but the intent is unknown

WWJD? Nothing?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Christians and Guns

Post #61

Post by Clownboat »

oldbadger wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:35 pm Not true, CB.
Felons are not allowed to get, own or possess guns in America.
Or can you think of an example of a person being unable to pick up a gun?
Total paralysis comes to mind.
Even very nasty villains can get guns......no problem!
Correct, being a villain does not prevent a person from getting a gun in America. Did someone make this argument?
America is flooded, awash with guns.
Yup, but there is no process in America to allow anyone.........anybody to get a gun and this is what I was addressing.

Someone that eggs their neighbors mailbox would be guilty of a felony and they would no longer be able to get or own a gun.
Someone that messes with their friends Facebook page could be guilty of a felony and they would no longer be able to get or own a gun.
Someone that fails to report their food service tips would be guilty...

The claim that "Anybody can get a gun in America.......anybody" is therefore not accurate and is as meaningful as this one: "Anyone can rob a bank (or eat small children) in America..........anybody!"
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #62

Post by Clownboat »

oldbadger wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:53 am Christianity around here is about love and understanding.
This does not address gun ownership though. A person can both own a gun and be loving or understanding.
I'm amazed by so many US Christians who hold bible in one hand and AR15 in the other.

Yes, you are amazed by this, but it also doesn't address owning guns as being unchristian.
I haven't failed with you, CB, I never set out to try and teach you anything.
Too bad, as I'm willing to learn.
You don't like having your claims challenged do you? It's a great opportunity to amend or sharpen ones thinking IMO and prevents similar future mistakes. I have learned much from being challenged here myself.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

oldbadger
Guru

Post #63

Post by oldbadger »

Clownboat wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:40 am

,..........and...........

Correct, being a villain does not prevent a person from getting a gun in America. Did someone make this argument?
Ha ha ha.......!

Clownboat
Savant

Post #64

Post by Clownboat »

oldbadger wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:20 pm
Clownboat wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:40 am

,..........and...........

Ha ha ha.......!
I don't see the humor. Surely you now understand that a felon cannot possess a gun in America, but a person whose evil actions or motives that are important to the plot of a show or movie can. Perhaps villain means something else to you? Care to elucidate?

What is the true meaning of a villain?
1. : a character in a story or play who opposes the hero. (Common usage)
2. : a deliberate scoundrel or criminal. (Less common, but still not a felon)

It just occurred to me that you are likely confusing 'felon' with 'villain'.
Copy/paste: "Ha ha ha.......!" Indeed!

Wootah
Savant

Post #65

Post by Wootah »

‘Killed for sport’: Mass killings of Christians in Nigeria by ‘professional’ bandit groups
https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... a7227bda47
The presence of guns by the victims would make these attacks riskier and less rewarding for the perpetrators.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

oldbadger
Guru

Post #66

Post by oldbadger »

Clownboat wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:14 am
I don't see the humor. Surely you now understand that a felon cannot possess a gun in America, but a person whose evil actions or motives that are important to the plot of a show or movie can. Perhaps villain means something else to you? Care to elucidate?

What is the true meaning of a villain?
1. : a character in a story or play who opposes the hero. (Common usage)
2. : a deliberate scoundrel or criminal. (Less common, but still not a felon)

It just occurred to me that you are likely confusing 'felon' with 'villain'.
Copy/paste: "Ha ha ha.......!" Indeed!
More waffle from CB...... :D
So you're trying to tell me that a previously violent offender cannot get a gun in the US?

Anybody can get a gun on the US! The place is awash with them.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #67

Post by Clownboat »

oldbadger wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:01 am More waffle from CB...... :D
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. - Socrates.
So you're trying to tell me that a previously violent offender cannot get a gun in the US?
Nope, I educated you on your incorrect statement where you claimed that anyone can get a gun in America............ anyone! Did you not read the felon examples I provided for your education?

You have been corrected, but it is up to you if you will correct your thinking. To be clear, I correct your falsehoods for the readers sake as you seem immune to correction in regards to US gun laws and who can and cannot posses a firearm in the US.
Anybody can get a gun on the US! The place is awash with them.
And this is why I address the readers... :roll:
The US has lots of guns, this oldbadger is correct about and no one is arguing anything different. Not anybody can get one though, on this oldbadger remains mistaken. The claim that a felon cannot get or posses a firearm is a claim that can be challenged. Now ask yourselves why the claim made is not being challenged and instead I'm being accused of waffling.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #68

Post by oldbadger »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:14 pm When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. - Socrates.
So you need to be more careful in fure, CB.
Nope, I educated you on your incorrect statement where you claimed that anyone can get a gun in America............ anyone! Did you not read the felon examples I provided for your education?
Again.......... anybody, including felons, can get a gun in America.
How else do you think that so many villains have guns?
And this is why I address the readers... :roll:
Not on a post to me, please.
Talking about me to the readership in the third person is offensive.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #69

Post by Clownboat »

oldbadger wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:54 am Again.......... anybody, including felons, can get a gun in America.
Please walk us through this.
The waitress, that didn't report her tips and has been convicted. Where can she get her gun in America?

oldbadger
Guru

Post #70

Post by oldbadger »

Clownboat wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:21 pm
oldbadger wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:54 am Again.......... anybody, including felons, can get a gun in America.
Please walk us through this.
The waitress, that didn't report her tips and has been convicted. Where can she get her gun in America?
Have you ever heard of the black market?