65 die from gun suicide
10 survive an attempted gun suicide
1 is killed unintentionally
90 are shot unintentionally and survive
1 is killed by legal intervention*
4 are shot by legal intervention and survive
1 died but the intent was unknown
12 are shot and survive but the intent was unknown

DAILY GUN VIOLENCE IMPACTING CHILDREN AND TEENS (1-17)
Every day, 22 children and teens (1-17) are shot in the United States. Among those:
5 die from gun violence
3 are murdered
17 children and teens survive gunshot injuries
8 are intentionally shot by someone else and survive
2 children and teens either die from gun suicide or survive an attempted gun suicide
8 children and teens are unintentionally shot in instances of family fire — a shooting involving an improperly stored or misused gun found in the home resulting in injury or death

ANNUAL GUN VIOLENCE IMPACTING PEOPLE OF ALL AGES IN THE U.S.
Every year, 117,345 people are shot. Among those:
40,620 people die from gun violence
15,343 are murdered
76,725 people survive gunshot injuries
34,566 are intentionally shot by someone else and survive
23,891 die from gun suicide
3,554 survive an attempted gun suicide
492 killed unintentionally
547 are killed by legal intervention
1,376 are shot by legal intervention and survive
347 die but the intent was unknown
4,471 are shot and survive but the intent is unknown
547 women are killed by their husband or male dating partner**

ANNUAL GUN VIOLENCE IMPACTING CHILDREN AND TEENS (AGES 1-17)
Every year, 7,957 children and teens are shot in the United States. Among those:
1839 children and teens die from gun violence
992 are murdered
6,294 children and teens survive gunshot injuries
2,788 are intentionally shot by someone else and survive
693 die from gun suicide
166 survive an attempted gun suicide
10 are killed by legal intervention
101 are shot by legal intervention and survive
99 are killed unintentionally
2,893 are shot unintentionally and survive
38 die but the intent was unknown
380 are and survive shot but the intent is unknown

WWJD? Nothing?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Christians and Guns

Post #51

Post by Clownboat »

oldbadger wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:04 pm Ha ha! Now which nationality do you think all your authorities might have?
Italian? Greek?
Oh dear........they are Americans!
America is a melting pot of all sorts of cultures/nationalities. Some Italian, some Greek and on and on.
Was this meant to be a distraction from it being pointed out how you had moved the goal posts from claiming that Americans dream of killing their own countries soldiers and citizens to then become having the ability to stand against authorities?
Well I sure can't impress you with facts.

This statement is false and doesn't deserve a reply. Shame on you.
Well you can't be impressed with talk, you tell is. Maybe you should take more interest in what's being reported?
Derp! Should I pay more attention to Fox or CNN? I trust this question is not lost on you.
Either way, your reply is just another dodge. I specifically asked: "Do you honestly think this is a common occurrence (that churches are handing out body armor for the upcoming civil war) worth discussing?"
When the debate is lost, slander (you can't be impressed with talk) is the tool of the loser. - Socrates.
Comprehension much?
Yes, typically, but I'm not immune to mistakes.
Now where have I said that I hate guns?
I may know more about them than you think, as well.
You have not claimed to hate guns that I'm aware of. If I said you did, I retract that in place of you seeming to hate them. It is human nature after all to fear what you (generic you) don't understand, but that does not justify me to claim you do in fact hate guns. I may have errored in my assessment of your like for gun ownership. Care to elucidate? Do you like the idea that civilians can own guns, or do you hate it?
No need. You have already shown me that you know very little about the situation on the USA about guns.
When the debate is lost, slander (you know very little about the situation) is the tool of the loser. - Socrates.

Be well oldbadger...
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

oldbadger
Guru

Post #52

Post by oldbadger »

Clownboat wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:52 pm
America is a melting pot of all sorts of cultures/nationalities. Some Italian, some Greek and on and on.
Was this meant to be a distraction from it being pointed out how you had moved the goal posts from claiming that Americans dream of killing their own countries soldiers and citizens to then become having the ability to stand against authorities?
...... all holding American passports! = Americans.
So when US citizens talk about arming themselves against government folks, that shows the world what a problem exists.
This statement is false and doesn't deserve a reply. Shame on you.

Derp! Should I pay more attention to Fox or CNN? I trust this question is not lost on you.
Either way, your reply is just another dodge. I specifically asked: "Do you honestly think this is a common occurrence (that churches are handing out body armor for the upcoming civil war) worth discussing?"
When the debate is lost, slander (you can't be impressed with talk) is the tool of the loser. - Socrates.
One moment you're howling that talk is cheap, and now you've narrowed it all down to two media organisations.
And you've dreamed up the idea that I take any notice of such as Fox.

Why do weak debaters often declare themselves a debate's winner? That's very worrying.

You have not claimed to hate guns that I'm aware of. If I said you did, I retract that in place of you seeming to hate them. It is human nature after all to fear what you (generic you) don't understand, but that does not justify me to claim you do in fact hate guns. I may have errored in my assessment of your like for gun ownership. Care to elucidate? Do you like the idea that civilians can own guns, or do you hate it?
What? In America?
What woman wouldn't keep a small handgun in bag or purse? I'd definitely want my wife to be licensed for one....... if in the US! You see, the US is awash in guns...... quite awash, and there isn't any legislation that could reduce them significantly for decades.
Anybody can get a gun in America.......anybody!
When the debate is lost, slander (you know very little about the situation) is the tool of the loser. - Socrates.

Be well oldbadger...
Oh dear.......... self proclamation yet again.

Once again.............. I don't believe that there will be any significant legislation over guns in the USA..... at all!
Now which part of that don't you understand?

Wootah
Savant

Post #53

Post by Wootah »

This might be the most unchristian thing I've said (in a while) but history is those with guns vs those without guns.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

oldbadger
Guru

Post #54

Post by oldbadger »

Wootah wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:08 pm This might be the most unchristian thing I've said (in a while) but history is those with guns vs those without guns.
That's an interesting idea. I notice how crazy many US Christians are about guns .......... very unchristian indeed?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #55

Post by Clownboat »

oldbadger wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:50 am ...... all holding American passports! = Americans.
So when US citizens talk about arming themselves against government folks, that shows the world what a problem exists.
What an odd way to retract your claim that Americans dream of killing their own countries soldiers and citizens. :shock:
One moment you're howling that talk is cheap,
Surely you agree.
and now you've narrowed it all down to two media organisations.
What difference would it have made if I had listed 8? You failed to answer the question asked of you when it was just two, could you imagine how lost you would be if I provided more?
Here are my words again in case you care to address them: "Should I pay more attention to Fox or CNN? I trust this question is not lost on you."
Perhaps you don't remember telling me?: oldbadger = "You need to take more notice of your media". (Maybe the question was lost on you after all?)
And you've dreamed up the idea that I take any notice of such as Fox.
It's almost as if you are starting to understand why I asked about which media I should be paying more attention to. I'm not going to hold my breath at this point though.
Why do weak debaters often declare themselves a debate's winner? That's very worrying.
You would need to ask a weak debater. Surely you understand the difference between declaring victory and declaring a loss? You conceding loss by resorting to slander in place of debate wouldn't make my position necessarily correct. Do you understand this fact, or will you continue to pretend I have declared myself to be a winner?
Perhaps this was just another attempt at slander? Need I remind you of Socrates words again?
What woman wouldn't keep a small handgun in bag or purse?

Any women that is not comfortable carrying a gun. The answer to your question is obvious, so I'm confused as to why it was asked.

<snipped a comment about your wife owning a gun if she was in the US and a comment about the US having guns as there is nothing to respond to>
This is another falsehood being spread by oldbadger.
Oh dear.......... self proclamation yet again.

Then stop resorting to slander and Socrates's quote will no longer be valid. Your choice.
Once again.............. I don't believe that there will be any significant legislation over guns in the USA..... at all!
Now which part of that don't you understand?
How you moved the goal posts from: (Post 46) = "But gun laws will not change on the USA" to "I don't believe that there will be any significant legislation over guns in the USA".
My understanding is that you were initially arguing from emotions and have now taken a step back to make a more sensible claim that you admit is a belief of yours. How's my understanding of what took place?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #56

Post by Clownboat »

oldbadger wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:25 pm
Wootah wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:08 pm This might be the most unchristian thing I've said (in a while) but history is those with guns vs those without guns.
That's an interesting idea. I notice how crazy many US Christians are about guns .......... very unchristian indeed?
Owning guns is unchristian? Where did you come up with that one and can you defend such a position?

If you can't, you can just call me a weak debater I suppose. Or you can show that your words are in fact true that owning guns is unchristian and that you didn't just make an emotionally charged statement and I'll need to amend my thinking. I'm on the edge of my seat!

Luke 22:36
New International Version
36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #57

Post by oldbadger »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:27 pm
Owning guns is unchristian? Where did you come up with that one and can you defend such a position?

If you can't, you can just call me a weak debater I suppose. Or you can show that your words are in fact true that owning guns is unchristian and that you didn't just make an emotionally charged statement and I'll need to amend my thinking. I'm on the edge of my seat!

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
You turn questions in to statements, and have magicked slanders out of nothingness.

You splurge masses of waffle in to your replies, I suspect this is to redirect away from your poor arguments.

To my question, you ask a similar question!
In answer, the Jesus who was preparing for conflict is hardly the same Jesus who was reported later to be giving up life for all.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #58

Post by oldbadger »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:15 pm
This is another falsehood being spread by oldbadger.
Not true, CB.
Or can you think of an example of a person being unable to pick up a gun?
Even very nasty villains can get guns......no problem!

America is flooded, awash with guns.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #59

Post by Clownboat »

oldbadger wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:24 pm
Clownboat wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:27 pm

You turn questions in to statements, and have magicked slanders out of nothingness.

You splurge masses of waffle in to your replies, I suspect this is to redirect away from your poor arguments.

To my question, you ask a similar question!
In answer, the Jesus who was preparing for conflict is hardly the same Jesus who was reported later to be giving up life for all.
You have failed to show that gun ownership is unchristian. I was looking forward to what you might have had as I'm unaware of such an argument. We get what we get though. :(

oldbadger
Guru

Post #60

Post by oldbadger »

Clownboat wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:40 am
You have failed to show that gun ownership is unchristian. I was looking forward to what you might have had as I'm unaware of such an argument. We get what we get though. :(
Christianity around here is about love and understanding. I'm amazed by so many US Christians who hold bible in one hand and AR15 in the other.
I haven't failed with you, CB, I never set out to try and teach you anything.