65 die from gun suicide
10 survive an attempted gun suicide
1 is killed unintentionally
90 are shot unintentionally and survive
1 is killed by legal intervention*
4 are shot by legal intervention and survive
1 died but the intent was unknown
12 are shot and survive but the intent was unknown

DAILY GUN VIOLENCE IMPACTING CHILDREN AND TEENS (1-17)
Every day, 22 children and teens (1-17) are shot in the United States. Among those:
5 die from gun violence
3 are murdered
17 children and teens survive gunshot injuries
8 are intentionally shot by someone else and survive
2 children and teens either die from gun suicide or survive an attempted gun suicide
8 children and teens are unintentionally shot in instances of family fire — a shooting involving an improperly stored or misused gun found in the home resulting in injury or death

ANNUAL GUN VIOLENCE IMPACTING PEOPLE OF ALL AGES IN THE U.S.
Every year, 117,345 people are shot. Among those:
40,620 people die from gun violence
15,343 are murdered
76,725 people survive gunshot injuries
34,566 are intentionally shot by someone else and survive
23,891 die from gun suicide
3,554 survive an attempted gun suicide
492 killed unintentionally
547 are killed by legal intervention
1,376 are shot by legal intervention and survive
347 die but the intent was unknown
4,471 are shot and survive but the intent is unknown
547 women are killed by their husband or male dating partner**

ANNUAL GUN VIOLENCE IMPACTING CHILDREN AND TEENS (AGES 1-17)
Every year, 7,957 children and teens are shot in the United States. Among those:
1839 children and teens die from gun violence
992 are murdered
6,294 children and teens survive gunshot injuries
2,788 are intentionally shot by someone else and survive
693 die from gun suicide
166 survive an attempted gun suicide
10 are killed by legal intervention
101 are shot by legal intervention and survive
99 are killed unintentionally
2,893 are shot unintentionally and survive
38 die but the intent was unknown
380 are and survive shot but the intent is unknown

WWJD? Nothing?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Christians and Guns

Post #2

Post by JoeyKnothead »

boatsnguitars wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:59 pm WWJD? Nothing?
Jesus is dead

Gun culture in the US is so warped because money trumps politics.

Let these Congress critters start losing family to gun violence and you'll see how rapidly the laws can change.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #1]

Stop shooting each other.

But given the level of depravity of the human heart, I would suggest Christians should own guns to protect themselves.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:18 pm [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #1]

But given the level of depravity of the human heart, I would suggest Christians should own guns to protect themselves.
As others own guns to protect themselves from Christians.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by boatsnguitars »

Not much Faith in God to protect you or choose the right course of your life, no?

In fact, Christian Apologists are already talking about how these deaths are good - because they add to the long list of reasons to change the system.

See, they believe that God makes good from all things, and so they excuse these shootings as a good thing. They think of the lost lives as noble sacrifices.

My question is, if prayer hasn't worked so far, why would we think prayer would help now

And, if all these "sacrifices" were going to cause change, why hasn't it?

And, to your point, if more guns is the answer to the problem of guns - at what point is this supposed to kick in? America already has the most guns in the world. When is "more guns" going to stop the shootings?
― Omar Khayyâm

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

Only Christinas? Who is going to protect the innocent non-Christians which Christians decide to shoot?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

Tcg wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:59 am

Only Christinas? Who is going to protect the innocent non-Christians which Christians decide to shoot?

Tcg
and non-Christians.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by boatsnguitars »

Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:46 pm
Tcg wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:59 am

Tcg
and non-Christians.
Again, the US already has the most guns in the world. When is "more guns" going to stop all these shootings? And how would guns help Christians, when your whole dream is to be swept up in the arms of God when you die? Why would you care if it's today or next year - and how do you justify shooting people, as a Christian?
(I think this is an example of how Americanism has warped Christianity into a religion of John Wayne, not Jesus.
― Omar Khayyâm

oldbadger
Guru

Post #9

Post by oldbadger »

The USA and guns?

Yes, so far this year there have been more mass shootings than days, and the school mass killings occur again and again.

I have run threads elsewhere about school safety and security and one member (a Pastor in his local Texas community) proudly showed a picture of a typical 'We have armed teachers here...!' sign, which sadly showed that school's boundary protection as well, a very poor, low and pathetic old fence! When a basic list of safety/security necessities was offered as a minimum (the USA needs a much higher specification imo) nobody wanted to even discuss such expense.

Equally, I read many American Christians who declare that they need guns to protect their families from 'home invasions' but when asked about their basic home security they often insist that they will not turn their homes in to 'inverted prisons' and such stupidities. I have read comments like 'At home I am always within reach of a gun within 7 seconds!'...... all these idiots have to do is to secure their homes, take much much better care of the dogs that they so often chain up in their yards ...and just spend a few dollars on some home security!

The trouble with guns in the USA is that there are more swilling about the country than there are people, and so any gun controls won't stop anybody from obtaining a gun for many generations to come. Anybody can get a gun in the USA, and for that reason I have to say that if I lived in the USA I really would want my wife to have a gun. I would! I hope you can understand that.

Guns in the USA and any extreme fundamental far-right-wing Christianity are two sicknesses that are going to be hard to reduce, sadly.

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

oldbadger wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:49 am The USA and guns?

Yes, so far this year there have been more mass shootings than days, and the school mass killings occur again and again.

I have run threads elsewhere about school safety and security and one member (a Pastor in his local Texas community) proudly showed a picture of a typical 'We have armed teachers here...!' sign, which sadly showed that school's boundary protection as well, a very poor, low and pathetic old fence! When a basic list of safety/security necessities was offered as a minimum (the USA needs a much higher specification imo) nobody wanted to even discuss such expense.

Equally, I read many American Christians who declare that they need guns to protect their families from 'home invasions' but when asked about their basic home security they often insist that they will not turn their homes in to 'inverted prisons' and such stupidities. I have read comments like 'At home I am always within reach of a gun within 7 seconds!'...... all these idiots have to do is to secure their homes, take much much better care of the dogs that they so often chain up in their yards ...and just spend a few dollars on some home security!

The trouble with guns in the USA is that there are more swilling about the country than there are people, and so any gun controls won't stop anybody from obtaining a gun for many generations to come. Anybody can get a gun in the USA, and for that reason I have to say that if I lived in the USA I really would want my wife to have a gun. I would! I hope you can understand that.

Guns in the USA and any extreme fundamental far-right-wing Christianity are two sicknesses that are going to be hard to reduce, sadly.
I just wish you had the perspective of history to balance your thoughts here. Small avoidable tragedies every day are better than mass genocidal tragedies. The biggest killer of human beings after mosquitoes is government.