Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JoeMama
Apprentice

Nothing You Can Do Will Affect Your Fate

Post #1

Post by JoeMama »

JoeMama wrote,

Paul teaches that God makes common, flawed humans he means to cast into the fires of hell, as well as noble ones he has predestined for heaven.

Here is what Paul said:

Is God unjust? Not at all! For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy.

For the Scripture says to Pharaoh (on whom he visited all those horrible plagues): "I raised you up for this very purpose (to impress him with his magnificence), that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."

One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us (for being sinful)? For who resists his will?" But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?' " Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use? (Romans 9:13-21)

Do faithful Christians believe that God plays with the lives of humans in this way?

Savant

Re: Nothing You Can Do Will Affect Your Fate

Post #61

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:27 am ...Are you suggesting that the various spacecraft sent to the sun, as well as inner planets like Mercury and Venus are somehow getting to the right place even it is actually the wrong place? Or are you suggesting the claims of flight to the sun, etc. are just what I believe?
No, I think there are many that believe the same way as you. But, space travel, if it is true, depends on distances, speed, time and direction. If you have distance and speed wrongly, you can still get into the correct place in correct time, if the conditions allow it.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:27 amWhy should there be light enough to illuminate the earth before the sun was there? And read the Bible - don't just make up excuses. This was not continuous celestial light - it was alternating day and night, morning and evening.
Yes, Bible tells there was some other light than sun or stars. I don't see any reason to think it could not alter. Perhaps it was that what has caused the cosmic microwave background. Or, perhaps some other light form. After all, even Jesus and his disciples are called light in the world.

Savant

Post #62

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:10 am
1213 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:35 am
brunumb wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:37 am
1213 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:44 am I think it is still possible that sun is not the center. I don't think we have anything to really prove sun is the center.
:? Oh Dear Zeus!!! Only a huge amount of data and information that is supported by observation and experiment, and which does not rely on anonymous stories compiled by anonymous and ignorant people from the distant past. What little credibility you may have retained from the past just flew out the window. I really don't see how there is anything to be gained from your contributions when this is what you have to offer. Nevertheless, I will continue to throw out challenges for the sake of casual visitors.
:D How would you prove sun is the center?
:D How would you prove that the sun is not the center?
That is a good question. I don't know, that is why I think it is a matter of belief. I think it is possible that sun is not the center. Luckily for me it is not crucial question, because I have no reason to think it should be either way.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #63

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:42 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:27 am ...Are you suggesting that the various spacecraft sent to the sun, as well as inner planets like Mercury and Venus are somehow getting to the right place even it is actually the wrong place? Or are you suggesting the claims of flight to the sun, etc. are just what I believe?
No, I think there are many that believe the same way as you. But, space travel, if it is true, depends on distances, speed, time and direction. If you have distance and speed wrongly, you can still get into the correct place in correct time, if the conditions allow it.
That is so vague as to be evasive. Yes it depends on direction (is the relevant point) If the sun went around the earth and you fired a rocket at it, it would have moved before it got there. It is because it doesn't actually move the rocket will get there. This is really over simple, but you'll get the idea. But seriously, you think that the sun could actually go round the earth? And you people have atom bombs.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:27 amWhy should there be light enough to illuminate the earth before the sun was there? And read the Bible - don't just make up excuses. This was not continuous celestial light - it was alternating day and night, morning and evening.
Yes, Bible tells there was some other light than sun or stars. I don't see any reason to think it could not alter. Perhaps it was that what has caused the cosmic microwave background. Or, perhaps some other light form. After all, even Jesus and his disciples are called light in the world.

What other light? Where is it now? What could it even be? There is none especially...and while you're looking up totally irrelevant Biblequotes about people being the 'light of the world' which is nothing whatsoever to do with daylight, you might read Genesis and see this light snapped on and off day and night, morning and evening. Just like the sun was there, but apparently it hadn't been made yet.

What you are proposing of course is a Miracle producing the effect of a sun being on one side of the earth and then the other, before the sun was even made.

Really? You don't think that perhaps assuming the Bible is not getting it right is perhaps the more rational option? Of course if you want to dismiss reason, go right ahead.It's where Biblefaith ends up sooner or later.