Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Sect vs Sect

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Mormonism's criticisms of other Christian sects:

Mormons believe that their church is the true restoration of the original Christian church established by Jesus Christ, and they view other Christian sects as having lost important teachings and practices. They criticize traditional Christianity for its lack of belief in continuing revelation and the need for modern prophets, as well as its rejection of the Book of Mormon as a sacred text. Mormons also criticize other Christian sects for their traditional views on marriage and family, which they see as being outdated and limiting.

Jehovah's Witnesses' criticisms of other Christian sects:

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that their church is the only true Christian faith, and they criticize other Christian sects for their failure to follow biblical teachings and their acceptance of pagan practices. They criticize Catholicism for its use of statues and icons in worship, as well as its belief in the doctrine of the Trinity. They also criticize Protestantism for its rejection of the divine name of God, Jehovah, and its belief in the immortality of the soul.

Catholicism's criticisms of Protestantism:

Catholics have criticized Protestants for rejecting the authority of the Pope and for the fragmentation of Protestantism into many different denominations. Catholics also criticize Protestant beliefs in "faith alone" salvation, which they see as minimizing the importance of good works and sacraments. Additionally, Catholics often see the lack of a strong liturgical tradition and the use of contemporary worship styles in Protestantism as detracting from the reverence and solemnity of worship.

Protestantism's criticisms of Catholicism:

Protestants have criticized Catholicism for what they see as an excessive focus on tradition and the authority of the Church hierarchy over the individual believer. Protestants also criticize Catholic beliefs in the sacraments, especially the idea of transubstantiation in the Eucharist, as well as the practice of confession to a priest. Additionally, Protestants often criticize the veneration of saints and the use of icons in Catholicism as being contrary to biblical teachings.

Calvinism's criticisms of other Christian sects:

Calvinists believe in the doctrine of predestination, which holds that God has already determined who will be saved and who will be damned. As a result, Calvinists often criticize other Christian sects for their belief in free will and the idea that people can choose to accept or reject salvation. They also criticize Catholicism for its reliance on tradition and the authority of the Pope, and they view many Protestant sects as having abandoned important theological principles.

In conclusion, each of these Christian sects has its own unique beliefs and practices, which can lead to criticisms and disagreements with other sects. These criticisms reflect the diverse ways in which different Christian communities interpret and practice their faith, and the ways in which they view other sects that may differ from their own.

1. How do Mormons view the role of the Book of Mormon in relation to the Bible?
2. What is the Jehovah's Witnesses' stance on blood transfusions, and how does this affect their relationship with other Christian sects?
3. How does Catholicism's view of the sacraments differ from Protestantism's?
4. What specific theological principles do Calvinists believe other Protestant sects have abandoned?
5. Are there any areas of overlap or shared beliefs between these different Christian sects?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: Sect vs Sect

Post #11

Post by boatsnguitars »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:24 am
I dont know that is the case; to say " everyone " is I think an exaggeration. I have personally found that mocking is a poor response by those that lack the intellectual or moral honesty to engage in measured discourse. This is generally not the case with most people I come accross. Still, Jesus was on occassion also mocked and that without good reason, so if true Christians are mocked and persecuted they are in good company.
I strongly believe that mockery is a much more effective and appropriate approach than censorship or violence when it comes to dealing with bigotry or ridiculous ideas. While censorship and violence may seem like a quick fix, they often do more harm than good by suppressing free speech and fueling resentment.

Mockery, on the other hand, can effectively expose the flaws and inconsistencies of bigoted or ridiculous ideas while also providing an entertaining and engaging way to get people to think critically. By using humor and satire, we can call out the absurdity of these ideas and help people see how irrational they truly are.

Furthermore, mockery allows for the free and open exchange of ideas, which is essential for a healthy democracy. Censorship and violence only serve to limit intellectual discourse and prevent people from expressing their opinions, even if those opinions are controversial or unpopular.

You simply think your ideas are good. They aren't.
You would prefer a self-righteous posture of quoting Gandhi, and think you are holier than everyone else as you carry your cross for Jesus. As I said, the persecution complex is an addiction. (Persecution Complex in the sense of the psychological trait in Christians, and in the sense of the "Industrial Complex" of Christianity that makes money selling the idea. Big Persecution Inc.)

That's why mockery is the preferred method. We've seen how Christians lie, rape, cheat, steal and can't debate honestly - all with the air of the self-righteous. Argue against a Muslim and you'll know what I mean.

Mockery is the perfect vehicle to address racists, sexists, homophobes, and others. You prefer a self-righteous threat of "My God's gonna get you if you don't do what I say!" You prefer to simply state your ideas as fact, then vote to get them enacted into law as you elect one religious zealot after another - forcing your religious views on the rest of us.

Trust me, mockery is better than what the religious deserve.
― Omar Khayyâm

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:19 am You prefer to simply state your ideas as fact, then vote to get them enacted into law as you elect one religious zealot after another...
Do you not know that Jehovahs Witnesses do not vote?

JW

FURHER READING Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Maintain Political Neutrality?
https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... eutrality/

RELATED POSTS

Should Christians engage in the military ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 64#p827364
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

GOD'S KINGDOM, MILLENIAL RULE and ..POLITICAL NEUTRAITY
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by boatsnguitars »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:27 am Do you not know that Jehovahs Witnesses do not vote?
No, then in this case, I am wrong about your potential influence over others. And, I must say, I'd prefer if other religions followed suit.

Good for you, keeping your ideas away from others, now if you can stop the door-to-door sales, you'd have an impressive religion.
― Omar Khayyâm

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:04 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:27 am Do you not know that Jehovahs Witnesses do not vote?
No, then in this case, I am wrong about your potential influence over others. And, I must say, I'd prefer if other religions followed suit.
Its big of you to admit your error, thank you for that. I can tell you are a good person and you are clearly at peace with the path you have chosen in life and are trying to help others. I may not agree with everything you say but I admire your zeal and kind words.

Regards,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by boatsnguitars »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:21 am
Its big of you to admit your error, thank you for that. I can tell you are a good person and you are clearly at peace with the path you have chosen in life and are trying to help others. I may not agree with everything you say but I admire your zeal and kind words.
[/quote]

I will admit that your organization (is it a cult? Perhaps, but I'll be kind), may have some seriously nutty ideas (as I'm sure you've heard from other Christians), but it appears that my main concern:
Religion's influence over policy
Religions bigotry towards marginal groups

Is not impacted by JW as much as I originally thought. I'm afraid much of my harsh words in our exchanges were directed at those religions and doesn't apply to JW.

Perhaps it's big of me but it's self-interest: it comes from a belief that not admitting fault undermines my credibility to wage my 'righteous' war against the unrighteous.

I will return the compliment. You have kept your cool. We had JW's as neighbors. They were a lovely Black couple who were my children's friends growing up. They didn't proselytize, or go door to door. I don't think they wanted anyone to know - we only learned about it because their son told our son when he was invited to our son's birthday party. We weren't offended that he didn't go.

That said, I think we still have a lot to discuss in terms of how a person "speaks for God" when it comes to interpreting the Bible. After all, whatever reasoning you use can be used by other religions who do, in fact, petition the government. You certainly aren't responsible for their behavior, but the reasoning is a valid point of contention.

So, that, and your constant insistence on the images, links, etc. are the only bones of contention between us. I will try to not strawman you or other JW's in the future.
― Omar Khayyâm

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:41 am So, that, and your constant insistence on the images, links, etc. are the only bones of contention between us. I will try to not strawman you or other JW's in the future.
That would be good. I'm passionate about my faith but have learnt there is no point in getting upset with those that disagree with me.

Just to explain my LINKS: they are for myself and others. For myself because I have well over 19,000 posts on this site. People tend to post the same questions/ objections over and over so since I I don't like to repeat myself, I use links to keep track of what I have written.

For others I also hope that people will read my posts and wish to read more on the same or a related topic, so I am making it easier for them. I think its easy enough for those uninterested in digging deeper, to scroll on past them.

IMAGES: I like them. They're eye catching, fun (for me) and as they say ..." a picture can speak a thousand words". I try not to abuse.