God's Intent

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

God's Intent

Post #1

Post by POI »

1. Does God cause some to become inexorably drawn to Him, or not?
2. If so, why not all?
3. If not, then why do some believe and some not? Meaning, is it more-so based on logical reasoning that some believe or not believe, or, more-so based upon emotion?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Re: God's Intent

Post #2

Post by POI »

I am bumping this thread back to the top. Seems many have read this post. Do Chrsitians not have an answer here? Or, are Christians maybe afraid of some sort of 'trap'? The first (2) questions are pretty straight forward, and require little effort to respond. Is it possible to at least address the first 2 questions, before possibly diving into Q #3?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:51 pm 1. Does God cause some to become inexorably drawn to Him, or not?
I have no Biblical reason to think so.
POI wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:51 pm3. If not, then why do some believe and some not? Meaning, is it more-so based on logical reasoning that some believe or not believe, or, more-so based upon emotion?
I believe because of the Bible. And I believe what the Bible tells, because I see it to be correct about many things. Some people don't see it the same way I do, or don't think it is enough for them. Why so, you should ask from them.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

time to put my Christian hat on again.

It's like the parable or analogy of the barber. He'll cut their hair for them, but they must come to him first. People can choose god or not. Emotionally one could say we are all drawn to our particular gods and some are drawn to the true one and others are misled by false gods. Either as Mahler put it 'the rotten trash of this earth' or the wrong god because their nations would not listen to the missionaries. But here I'm having to reconsider the penalties for not being drawn to the correct god and why any penalty is deserved at all and the Theist hat is starting to slip off even before we get to omnipotence and free will.

P.s This joke or quip will never be told so I'm going to tell it.

Believer - "You know the word "atheist" includes the word Theist,don't you?"

"Then the word Theist contains the word 'Heist".

Ahhh..whayyda know from funny? Back to your muttons.

POI
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:19 am
POI wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:51 pm 1. Does God cause some to become inexorably drawn to Him, or not?
I have no Biblical reason to think so.
POI wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:51 pm3. If not, then why do some believe and some not? Meaning, is it more-so based on logical reasoning that some believe or not believe, or, more-so based upon emotion?
I believe because of the Bible. And I believe what the Bible tells, because I see it to be correct about many things. Some people don't see it the same way I do, or don't think it is enough for them. Why so, you should ask from them.
In regards to answer 3), are you saying you are a Christian, based upon reason, and not upon emotion? (i.e.) Because the Bible is always right?

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:37 pm ...
In regards to answer 3), are you saying you are a Christian, based upon reason, and not upon emotion? (i.e.) Because the Bible is always right?
Christian means a disciple of Jesus. And a disciple of Jesus is a person who remains in words of Jesus. I think his words are true and good, therefore I want to be his disciple.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:37 pm In regards to answer 3), are you saying you are a Christian, based upon reason, and not upon emotion? (i.e.) Because the Bible is always right?
Yes, I think I am a Christian because of reason, not because of emotion. I don't know what emotion could be reason to be a Christian. But, I don't know is the Bible always right. I know only that no one has been able to prove it wrong in anything. All that I have seen is biased emotional responses and few translation errors that doesn't prove Bible wrong.

It is actually interesting that people think people choose Christianity because emotion, but when I look the arguments against Bible and Christianity, they seem to be very much emotional.

POI
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:37 am
POI wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:37 pm In regards to answer 3), are you saying you are a Christian, based upon reason, and not upon emotion? (i.e.) Because the Bible is always right?
Yes, I think I am a Christian because of reason, not because of emotion.
Noted.
1213 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:37 am I don't know what emotion could be reason to be a Christian.
Indoctrination, lead or reinforced by fear, could be one way; off the top of my head. Many are also taught that if a later discovery conflicts with a claim from the Bible, then it is just that humans are fallible, and that we humans are wrong. Or, I also see many who rationalize the Bible to personal taste. So it can never be wrong.... They move the goalposts, so-to-speak.
1213 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:37 am But, I don't know is the Bible always right.
If you found something to be wrong, would you then reject the canon? Or, would you maybe instead find a way to rationalize it, to remain Christian?
1213 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:37 am I know only that no one has been able to prove it wrong in anything. All that I have seen is biased emotional responses and few translation errors that doesn't prove Bible wrong.
Example(s) please!
1213 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:37 am It is actually interesting that people think people choose Christianity because emotion, but when I look the arguments against Bible and Christianity, they seem to be very much emotional.
I would disagree. If the Bible is God's word, and some of what God says does not comport with later discovery, then it seems logical to then reject the claims as likely false. Seems it would take more emotion, by way of rationalization, and/or to then "spin" the text, or re-translate the text, to keep it relevant.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #9

Post by TRANSPONDER »

[Replying to POI in post #8]

I don't want to derail but that is a total canard and fine example of biased subjective finger -pointing and in fact false accusation, I'm sure.

We may get powerful in expressing our atheist views but the reasons are based on logic and evidence forced on most of us who used to be Christians themselves (1) and they could no longer ignore the problems. I absolutely know that many, many of our warriors for Jesus here are in total denial about the evidence, arguments and proof that something is wrong with the Bible New T and old and they do not want to listen and that is because they work on Faith.

Call that emotional a response on their part or not, but it for sure ain't logical, and our polemics on the alternative, are logical, not emotional. So what are we to do with people who lie like the North Korean Internet when talking about us? Sigh, grit our teeth like the Darwinist martyrs we are and soldier on...

(1) this is where Christian finger -pointing leads them waist deep in contradiction. Atheists are supposed to be a small number of the demographic (they were still arguing 8% of the people at the last Pew survey) and so where do the atheists come from? Deconverts, that's where. And I never read a deconversion story based on Emotion, but all on having to accept the actual facts.

POI
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:33 am a disciple of Jesus is a person who remains in words of Jesus.
Then I guess you are not really a follower, since you opt to remain in your "possessions and wealth" --- post 15 (viewtopic.php?p=1117593#p1117593)