Just WHO is God?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MadJW
Student

Just WHO is God?

Post #1

Post by MadJW »

In world religion there all kinds of Gods.
I, personally, have examined most of them and found them lacking.
Then I come to 'Christian' religion, and find that the majority of them don't know God at ALL!
I think one can have a serious debate on THIS site!

The Bible= Jehovah (Name removed by most 'Christian' churches)
Churchianity= there's Three!

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Just WHO is God?

Post #31

Post by 2timothy316 »

tigger 2 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:26 pm [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #29]

It's not "a word." It's the Word."

See Rev. 19:13
Interestingly using The Word to describe Jesus means that he is the communicator/mouthpiece for someone else and not for himself. A spokesperson is the speaker for a king or another person in a higher position. (Ge 16:7-11; 22:11; 31:11; Ex 3:2-5; Jg 2:1-4; 6:11, 12; 13:3)

Thus this makes the John 1:1 translations of 'the Word was God' even less accurate as when a spokesperson/communicator is mentioned in the Bible they are never both spokesperson and the king they are speaking for.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #32

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #31]

Yes, if Jesus has been the spokesperson FOR God, then why would we say that he is God? Jesus is not a spokesperson for himself. Indeed:

Jesus said: "I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me I speak these things." (John 8:28b)

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by boatsnguitars »

Miles wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:49 pm
MadJW wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:40 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:08 pm .
Not understanding. Exactly what does "The Word was god" mean? How can a word be god? Could the Word have been anything else other than god? Was god anything more than the Word?

Both Moses and Jesus represented Jeovah at that time, and are thus called God because that's where they got their Authority,
Maybe someone else will take a stab at answering my questions.

1. Exactly what does "The Word was god" mean?

2. How can a word be god?

3. Could the Word have been anything else other than god?

4. Was god anything more than the Word?

And what was the word? Blimp? Taco? What word is God so I talk to it? I don't want to look like a fool talking to the word "fudge" thinking I'm talking with God.

The word is ChatGPT, isn't it?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

historia
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by historia »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:55 pm
The KJV was translated, not from the original language, but from Latin.
We've been over this before, onewithim. This is a gross misstatement of the facts.

WinkyDinky
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by WinkyDinky »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:39 pm [Replying to MadJW in post #1]
To answer the question:

God is the Father, YHWH (Jehovah). Jesus enunciated this in prayer to his God and Father: "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3, KJV)
Do you worship Jesus?

William
Savant

Post #36

Post by William »

Miles wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:49 pm
MadJW wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:40 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:08 pm .
Not understanding. Exactly what does "The Word was god" mean? How can a word be god? Could the Word have been anything else other than god? Was god anything more than the Word?

Both Moses and Jesus represented Jeovah at that time, and are thus called God because that's where they got their Authority,
Maybe someone else will take a stab at answering my questions.

1. Exactly what does "The Word was god" mean?

2. How can a word be god?

3. Could the Word have been anything else other than god?

4. Was god anything more than the Word?

1: I think it is along the lines of "your thoughts are yours".
2: The word "God" is the word God, is how.
3: Yes. But it would still refer to the same overall concept, which appears to be an invisible mind made visible through It's creating things.
4: That depends on whether the mind is anything more than thoughts which are words.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #37

Post by onewithhim »

WinkyDinky wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:29 pm
To answer the question:

God is the Father, YHWH (Jehovah). Jesus enunciated this in prayer to his God and Father: "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3, KJV)
Do you worship Jesus?
Not in the sense that we worship Jehovah, the Father. Jehovah is worshipped as the only true God. Jesus is "worshipped" as God's Son and he receives the honor he deserves for fulfilling God's will on this earth. My dictionary defines "worship" as homage "to a person of importance--used as a title for various officials, e.g.." So if we "worship" Jesus, it is in relation to his obedience to Jehovah, and is a person of great importance. The highest form of "worship" we give to the Almighty God---the one and only true God, and no one else, the Father.

WinkyDinky
Banned
Banned

Post #38

Post by WinkyDinky »

onewithhim wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:25 pm
To answer the question:

Do you worship Jesus?
Not in the sense that we worship Jehovah, the Father. Jehovah is worshipped as the only true God. Jesus is "worshipped" as God's Son and he receives the honor he deserves for fulfilling God's will on this earth. My dictionary defines "worship" as homage "to a person of importance--used as a title for various officials, e.g.." So if we "worship" Jesus, it is in relation to his obedience to Jehovah, and is a person of great importance. The highest form of "worship" we give to the Almighty God---the one and only true God, and no one else, the Father.
Do you worship Jesus? Yes or no? Either you do or don't.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #39

Post by onewithhim »

onewithhim wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:13 pm [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #31]

Yes, if Jesus has been the spokesperson FOR God, then why would we say that he is God? Jesus is not a spokesperson for himself. Indeed:

Jesus said: "I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me I speak these things." (John 8:28b)
Response?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #40

Post by onewithhim »

WinkyDinky wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:45 pm
onewithhim wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:25 pm
To answer the question:

Do you worship Jesus?
Do you worship Jesus? Yes or no? Either you do or don't.
Not like I worship the Father who alone deserves our worship as God Almighty.