Banned
Banned

Re: YOUR OWN PRIVATE INTERPRETATIONS

Post #11

Post by WinkyDinky »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:28 pm
WinkyDinky wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:29 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:21 pm [Replying to WinkyDinky in post #5]

So what about this scripture. Should it be taken word for word as you say?

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten." Ecc 9:5
I have taken what little wisdom you had from you.
So you're avoiding the question...ok then.
Is that what I am doing?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #12

Post by 2timothy316 »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:43 pm Sometimes even the most direct statement can be interpreted more than one way, and honestly.
Where I find this to be true is what many call 'wearing rose-colored glasses' when reading the Bible.

Take for example Ecc 9:5, 6 which says, "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they no longer have any share in what is done under the sun."

Even with the translation from Hebrew to Greek, Greek to English or even Hebrew to English all translations say something very similar. However, ask a person that has been brought up to believe that when they die they go on living in either Heaven or Hell, their interpretations of this scripture start getting wacky. They will start trying throwing out interpretations that are contrary to what the scripture says word for word.

Personally I do not come a background where I was taught everyone has an eternal soul. So when I read Ecc 9:5, 6 I'm completely fine the way it reads word for word. This is why I chose this particular scripture for the author of the OP to examine and tell us if we an trust what we read word for word at Ecc chapter 9. Immediately things started going weird didn't they.

Interpretation is for God to unlock, thus is why I and many like me only trust the Bible to explain the Bible. Because I certainly can't trust some who says they have taken my wisdom from me.

If one wants to put on rose-colored glasses when reading the Bible the let them be looking for what is true and not what fits their belief. For many, they see their belief as true before they read the Bible. Then all the interpretations start flowing out of people.

otseng
Savant

Post #13

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

otseng
Savant

Post #14

Post by otseng »

WinkyDinky wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:29 pm I have taken what little wisdom you had from you.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Personal attacks are not allowed on this forum.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Savant

Post #15

Post by 1213 »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:52 am ...
"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten." Ecc 9:5
To understand that correctly, I recommend to read the whole Ecc. :)

WebersHome
Guru

Post #16

Post by WebersHome »

2Pet 1:20 . . Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

In context, Peter is talking about the origin of prophecy rather than the study of prophecy.

2Pet 1:21 . . For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

In other words; the prophets weren't creative dreamers rather; they were supervised by a higher power.

2Tim 3:16 . . All scripture is given by inspiration of God
_

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #17

Post by 2timothy316 »

1213 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:22 am
2timothy316 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:52 am ...
To understand that correctly, I recommend to read the whole Ecc. :)
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Watch as reading scripture word for word disappears and all the "to understand correctly" comments start flowing in.

I have read all of Ecc many many many times and it doesn't change what is written at Ecc 9:5. But, please prove my point and bring your smoke and mirrors to change what it says. If you don't reply then you accept that what I say is true, people put their beliefs ahead of the word for word of the Bible.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Purple Knight »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:47 pm Personally I do not come a background where I was taught everyone has an eternal soul. So when I read Ecc 9:5, 6 I'm completely fine the way it reads word for word. This is why I chose this particular scripture for the author of the OP to examine and tell us if we an trust what we read word for word at Ecc chapter 9. Immediately things started going weird didn't they.
I can see that pretty clearly.

Ancient Jews believe that the breath is the life, and when you're dead, you're dead.

All this souls stuff might have been added by the Greeks. There was not talk of Heaven by the Ancient Jews except as the place where God was. Bart Ehrman will agree with me. I believe it's in this one.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #19

Post by 2timothy316 »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:15 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:47 pm Personally I do not come a background where I was taught everyone has an eternal soul. So when I read Ecc 9:5, 6 I'm completely fine the way it reads word for word. This is why I chose this particular scripture for the author of the OP to examine and tell us if we an trust what we read word for word at Ecc chapter 9. Immediately things started going weird didn't they.
I can see that pretty clearly.

Ancient Jews believe that the breath is the life, and when you're dead, you're dead.

All this souls stuff might have been added by the Greeks. There was not talk of Heaven by the Ancient Jews except as the place where God was. Bart Ehrman will agree with me. I believe it's in this one.
The lie might have been perfected by the Greeks but it started way before that. Note that I call it a lie.

"But God has said about the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden: ‘You must not eat from it, no, you must not touch it; otherwise you will die.’” At this the serpent said to the woman: “You certainly will not die. " Gen 3:3,4

People can't accept death. They think they are so much more than what they are...dust, dirt, atoms. The Egyptians promoted life after death way before the Greeks. Throughout the history of mankind, it is hard to accept that 80 or so years is all there is to life and have tried to convince themselves there is more than what they are. Note how the author of the OP is suddenly absent. This type of talk terrifies those that still can't accept death.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by Purple Knight »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:25 pmThis type of talk terrifies those that still can't accept death.
As an atheist, to me death is just reality. It's a horrid reality, but it is reality.

Of course I should try to be a good person. That's independent of whether or not I'll be rewarded for it. In fact the reward sort of spoils it. Being human has to be more than being a Pavlovian dog, salivating for the bell because it signals a reward.

I suspect it's a reality to those that claim to believe in life after death as well. No matter how pleasant the afterlife they claim to believe in, you don't see them flocking to it. And if people do flock to it, they get called a crazy cult. They get called that, by the religious people who are apparently the five out of six people who believe in some sort of afterlife.

People don't actually believe it in any numbers despite saying they do, or you'd see them doing fringe things like Koolaiding themselves off or suicide bombing. The fact that they will all call the fringies that do these things crazy proves they do not believe it. And the kicker is that if any of it is real, we're not supposed to believe it. Because then we're just Pavlovian dogs.