Was Jesus' Sacrifice Meaningful?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JoeMama
Apprentice

Was Jesus' Sacrifice Meaningful?

Post #1

Post by JoeMama »

Jesus spent some unpleasant hours on the cross, and a couple of days in a tomb, but he is still alive today, 2,000 years later, sitting forevermore in heavenly bliss at the right hand of God. If the price for living forever is being nailed to a cross and being shut up for a short while in a tomb, who wouldn't take that bargain? So why do people think Jesus made such a great sacrifice?

Miles
Savant

Re: Was Jesus' Sacrifice Meaningful?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

JoeMama wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:53 pm Jesus spent some unpleasant hours on the cross, and a couple of days in a tomb, but he is still alive today, 2,000 years later, sitting forevermore in heavenly bliss at the right hand of God. If the price for living forever is being nailed to a cross and being shut up for a short while in a tomb, who wouldn't take that bargain? So why do people think Jesus made such a great sacrifice?
Because it feeds their need to believe the S³ myth, Sin—Sacrifice—Salvation, is true.

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

JoeMama wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:53 pm Jesus spent some unpleasant hours on the cross, and a couple of days in a tomb, but he is still alive today, 2,000 years later, sitting forevermore in heavenly bliss at the right hand of God. If the price for living forever is being nailed to a cross and being shut up for a short while in a tomb, who wouldn't take that bargain? So why do people think Jesus made such a great sacrifice?
I think the sacrifice Jesus made was that he lived for us, served others and didn't live selfishly. All the kingdoms were offered for him and he could have had very nice and easy life. But he didn't choose that. Instead he chose to declare the message and serve people. I think that is a great sacrifice, not many do the same, especially if it means they will be tortured and killed for doing so.

brunumb
Savant

Post #4

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:30 am I think the sacrifice Jesus made was that he lived for us, served others and didn't live selfishly. All the kingdoms were offered for him and he could have had very nice and easy life. But he didn't choose that. Instead he chose to declare the message and serve people. I think that is a great sacrifice, not many do the same, especially if it means they will be tortured and killed for doing so.
No sacrifice. It was all part of the plan.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

bjs1
Sage

Post #5

Post by bjs1 »

brunumb wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:54 am
1213 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:30 am I think the sacrifice Jesus made was that he lived for us, served others and didn't live selfishly. All the kingdoms were offered for him and he could have had very nice and easy life. But he didn't choose that. Instead he chose to declare the message and serve people. I think that is a great sacrifice, not many do the same, especially if it means they will be tortured and killed for doing so.
That is a non-sequitur. Plans often involve sacrifice.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

bjs1
Sage

Post #6

Post by bjs1 »

If Christianity is true the Jesus already had eternal heavenly bliss at the right hand of God before the incarnation. He gained nothing by coming to earth, experiencing the regular suffering of life (and perhaps a bit more than normal) for 30+ years, and then being tortured to death in the most horrific fashion ever devised. If that is not a great sacrifice then we clearly have different understandings of what those words mean.
-Charles Darwin

POI
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:30 am
I think the sacrifice Jesus made was that he lived for us, served others and didn't live selfishly. All the kingdoms were offered for him and he could have had very nice and easy life. But he didn't choose that. Instead he chose to declare the message and serve people. I think that is a great sacrifice, not many do the same, especially if it means they will be tortured and killed for doing so.
Did you read JoeMama's original post observation? You did not answer it. Allow me to re-word it a bit, and maybe you can address the OP line of questioning this time.

Is the juice worth the squeeze? Meaning, if you already knew that to achieve eternal bliss and worshipped by many, all you had to do was be tortured for a few hours, wouldn't that be a fair trade-off? Yes or no?

And why?

I do not see much of any sacrifice. If such a being/agency desires worship, a few hours or days of inconvenience, for which was already planned for him anyways, seems like little to no 'sacrifice', since we are speaking about an eternity here.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

bjs1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:38 am
Considering the meaning of "sacrifice":

sacrifice
verb (used with object), sac·ri·ficed, sac·ri·fic·ing.
to surrender or give up, or permit injury or disadvantage to, for the sake of something else.
source: Dictionary.com

Often they do not. ..BUT just what do you see as being a non-sequitur? Keeping in mind the following:

non sequitur
[ non sek-wi-ter, -toor; Latin nohn se-kwi-toor ]
noun
1 Logic. an inference or a conclusion that does not follow from the premises.
2 a statement containing an illogical conclusion:
....The built environment has to be more presentable than it was in the past, but it's a non sequitur to claim that this must occur at the expense of cultural value.
3 something said or written that is unrelated to what immediately precedes:
....Your comment is at best a non sequitur, and bears zero relevance to the issue at point.
4 an illogical or unconnected shift from one thing to another:
....The Tibetan prints to the right of the formal portrait—with their religious figures and mandala-like patterns—initially seem like a non sequitur.

bjs1
Sage

Post #9

Post by bjs1 »

Miles wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:07 pm
bjs1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:38 am
Considering the meaning of "sacrifice":

sacrifice
verb (used with object), sac·ri·ficed, sac·ri·fic·ing.
to surrender or give up, or permit injury or disadvantage to, for the sake of something else.

Often they do not. ..BUT just what do you see as being a non-sequitur? Keeping in mind the following:

non sequitur
[ non sek-wi-ter, -toor; Latin nohn se-kwi-toor ]
noun
1 Logic. an inference or a conclusion that does not follow from the premises.
2 a statement containing an illogical conclusion:
....The built environment has to be more presentable than it was in the past, but it's a non sequitur to claim that this must occur at the expense of cultural value.
3 something said or written that is unrelated to what immediately precedes:
....Your comment is at best a non sequitur, and bears zero relevance to the issue at point.
4 an illogical or unconnected shift from one thing to another:
....The Tibetan prints to the right of the formal portrait—with their religious figures and mandala-like patterns—initially seem like a non sequitur.

You appear to be saying that this was not a sacrifice because it was all part of the plan. (If I have misunderstood your meaning the please correct me.)

That is a statement containing an illogical conclusion. There is no logical way to get from “it was all part of the plan” to “no sacrifice.” A plan can include sacrifice or it can be free from sacrifice. The fact that something is part of a plan says nothing about there being a sacrifice or not. Therefore, saying that it was not a sacrifice because it was part of a plan is a non-sequitur.

To give once example from chess, in the Immortal Game Adolf Anderssen sacrificed both of his rooks, and the game is often reproduced with a brief continuation that includes sacrificing a queen. This is an example of a sacrifice being part of plan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_Game
-Charles Darwin

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Of course. Anyone who makes a sacrifice in the past or today sees it as part of a plan for their life and a possible afterlife. That Jesus' execution was thought to be a sin - sacrifice (which of course I do not believe) is part of the Plan to make a loophole in Sin -death and had to be a sacrifice or the plan wouldn't work.
No, Christianity believes in a plan and a sacrifice (of magic blood, free will or life, according to various beliefs or Dogmas) as part of that plan. Of course I have heard of other plans e.g where Jesus is giving an object - lesson, but that just seems overdone, and a magic killing at least makes sense of there being a killing at all.

P.s I browsed a few deconversions but this - an avowed attempt to "Help" people having doubts and moving onto 'progressive Christianity' - is worth a watch. She is a sweet lady but her answers will not satisfy the questioner. For example, the foundation is Jesus, sure but the Authority for that is the Bible. If the Bible is wrong, then Jesus counts for nothing. Indeed, if Genesis is wrong, there is no basis for Sin -death as a god -made rule that can have an escape- tunnel dug through it by killing Jesus. If any of the Bible collapses, Jesus collapses with it.