Paradise - Clothing Optional?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Paradise - Clothing Optional?

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

Question for Debate: For those of you who believe people will have their physical bodies when their reward comes (and yeah this is canonical; Jesus talks about people being raised from the dead) will those people be required to cover those bodies with clothing? Why or why not? Will nakedness still offend people?

Just as a fun aside, people put pants on this chimp, probably at least in part because they thought it was half-human.

(I am not making fun of religion. I am sort of making fun of the shared human understanding - with a total void of explicit reasoning - about who should have to wear clothes and why. In other words, nobody would come right out and say, "Well, if he's half-human, then he has to wear pants, but if he's not then he doesn't, and he might be, so let's put pants on him just in case," but everyone seems to share that understanding, which I feel like would break into obvious absurdity if spoken, and for some reason that gives me a serious ROFLMAO.)

Miles
Savant

Re: Paradise - Clothing Optional?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:45 pm Question for Debate: For those of you who believe people will have their physical bodies when their reward comes (and yeah this is canonical; Jesus talks about people being raised from the dead) will those people be required to cover those bodies with clothing? Why or why not? Will nakedness still offend people?
The fat and ugly will be required to wear clothes. The buff and beautiful will delight in going naked. Only the prudish will continue to be offended by nakedness and be numbered among the ugly.

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:45 pm Question for Debate: For those of you who believe people will have their physical bodies when their reward comes (and yeah this is canonical; Jesus talks about people being raised from the dead) will those people be required to cover those bodies with clothing? Why or why not? Will nakedness still offend people?...
Maybe it depends on what is nakedness. For some, everyone may be naked, even if they have clothes on. Bible has these interesting scriptures about nakedness.

For most assuredly in this we groan, longing to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven; if so be that being clothed we will not be found naked. For indeed we who are in this tent do groan, being burdened; not that we desire to be unclothed, but that we desire to be clothed, that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life.
2 Cor. 5:3-4

For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart. There is no creature that is hidden from his sight, but all things are naked and laid open before the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
Heb. 4:12-13

Because you say, ‘I am rich, and have gotten riches, and have need of nothing;’ and don’t know that you are the wretched one, miserable, poor, blind, and naked; I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, that you may become rich; and white garments, that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes, that you may see.
Rev. 3:17-18

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:45 am
Purple Knight wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:45 pm Question for Debate: For those of you who believe people will have their physical bodies when their reward comes (and yeah this is canonical; Jesus talks about people being raised from the dead) will those people be required to cover those bodies with clothing? Why or why not? Will nakedness still offend people?...
Maybe it depends on what is nakedness. For some, everyone may be naked, even if they have clothes on. Bible has these interesting scriptures about nakedness.

For most assuredly in this we groan, longing to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven; if so be that being clothed we will not be found naked. For indeed we who are in this tent do groan, being burdened; not that we desire to be unclothed, but that we desire to be clothed, that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life.
2 Cor. 5:3-4
Yup! " . . . being clothed we will not be found naked."

2 Corinthians 5:3-4 ERV
3 It will clothe us and we will not be naked. 4 While we live in this tent, we have burdens and so we complain. I don’t mean that we want to remove this tent, but we want to be clothed with our heavenly home. Then this body that dies will be covered with life.

2 Corinthians 5:3-4 ESV

3 if indeed by putting it on we may not be found naked. 4 For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life.

2 Corinthians 5:3-4 GWT

3 After we have put it on,[a] we won’t be naked. 4 While we are in this tent, we sigh. We feel distressed because we don’t want to take off the tent, but we do want to put on the eternal house. Then ⌞eternal⌟ life will put an end to our mortal existence.

Etc.

Etc.

For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart. There is no creature that is hidden from his sight, but all things are naked and laid open before the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
Heb. 4:12-13
So god has X-ray vision and can see through one's clothes. Does this really make a person naked? I certainly don't think so, especially when naked is defined as.

na·ked
adjective: naked

1. (of a person or part of the body) without clothes.
source: Oxford Languages Dictionary
Because you say, ‘I am rich, and have gotten riches, and have need of nothing;’ and don’t know that you are the wretched one, miserable, poor, blind, and naked; I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, that you may become rich; and white garments, that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes, that you may see.
Rev. 3:17-18
So how does this speak to being naked while clothed?

theophile
Guru

Post #5

Post by theophile »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:45 pm Question for Debate: For those of you who believe people will have their physical bodies when their reward comes (and yeah this is canonical; Jesus talks about people being raised from the dead) will those people be required to cover those bodies with clothing? Why or why not? Will nakedness still offend people?
I'd have to refresh myself on this topic and dig up some verses, but recurring theme I recall is of ones dressed in white robes. So still clothed, but I do think clothing is transformed in its purpose. It is no longer to hide our shame (i.e., the fallen form of clothing that emerges in Genesis 3), but is rather to reveal our glory. And revealing our glory / nakedness do go hand in hand methinks. :)

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I'm not going to get into this one, and certainly not posting any promotional piccies for the Atheist Afterlife, but I find it interesting; this mental struggle to fit human instinctive prejudices about adornment, taboos and impressive robes and headgear to make people look admirable or even worshipful, and all fitted into a religious vision of death escaped forever.

Have your fun, folks. I'll leave you to your dreams.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JoeyKnothead »

As long as there's folks and gods, offense'll be had.

Just as a fun aside, people put pants on this chimp, probably at least in part because they thought it was half-human.
Heck, A&W had to put britches on a cartoon character...

I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Purple Knight »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:13 am Heck, A&W had to put britches on a cartoon character...
My half-human thing does still hold because he's a partly anthropomorphic bear that has thumbs and walks upright. If Rooty was instead, a normal brown bear standing on all fours, even if he wore a sweater, I don't think anyone would have taken issue with the lack of pants.

It's not about the presence or absence of genitalia since a cartoon character obviously not possess them, though Oliver the chimp does and that could easily have been what was offending. But it's not, since people were offended by a naked cartoon character, because it has thumbs and walks upright.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #9

Post by TRANSPONDER »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #8]

Well, I contest that. Of course you may be kidding about so ok then, but otherwise I have heard that some cartoons characters drew criticism because of nakedness.I recall Tweety Pie,as one instance.But I have never heard that anyone complained that cartoon animals had thumbs and were able to handle tools as well as human beans.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:39 pm [Replying to Purple Knight in post #8]

Well, I contest that. Of course you may be kidding about so ok then, but otherwise I have heard that some cartoons characters drew criticism because of nakedness.I recall Tweety Pie,as one instance.But I have never heard that anyone complained that cartoon animals had thumbs and were able to handle tools as well as human beans.
I'm not kidding.

The reason they're complaining that Rooty Bear is naked is because he has thumbs, and also because he stands upright, making him anthropomorphic, and thus, essentially part human.