Why can't everyone understand the Bible?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

Why can't everyone understand the Bible?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

Those that read the Bible, rarely do they agree on what the Bible's message actually is. Why is that? Why didn't God make the Bible easy to understand for everyone? The Bible holds the key to the answer to this question right?

MissKate13
Sage

Re: Why can't everyone understand the Bible?

Post #11

Post by MissKate13 »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:51 pm Those that read the Bible, rarely do they agree on what the Bible's message actually is. Why is that? Why didn't God make the Bible easy to understand for everyone? The Bible holds the key to the answer to this question right?
Your questions are very good ones. Thanks for asking.

I think the Bible does hold the key to answering why God God didn’t make the Bible easy to understand for everyone.

The answer lies in the same reason Jesus taught using parables.

Read Jesus’ response to the question His disciples ask.

10 And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?”11 He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 13Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.(Matthew 13:10-13)

The parables served two purposes: revealing truth and concealing it, depending on the perspective of the hearer. To the one who is tuned to hear it, more is given.

The primary purpose was to “conceal.” Why?
Jesus began speaking in parables because of the hardness of many people’s hearts (Matt. 13:14-17).

But because of the hard hearts of many in the multitude, Jesus began speaking to them in parables (Mark 4:10-12).

Jesus was looking for truth seekers Those seeking the truth would also seek an explanation (Matt. 13:36). They would dig deeper. Those who didn’t care about the truth would simply walk away.

Imho, the same can be said about the Bible. Yes, it is hard to understand, especially when we first attempt to read it, but the more we seek answers to our questions, the deeper our understanding becomes. God wants us to ask questions. To dig deep for answers. More than anything, He wants us to be in His word as much as possible. This is how we come to truly know Him.
Last edited by MissKate13 on Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

MissKate13
Sage

Post #12

Post by MissKate13 »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:51 pm Those that read the Bible, rarely do they agree on what the Bible's message actually is. Why is that? Why didn't God make the Bible easy to understand for everyone? The Bible holds the key to the answer to this question right?
Imho, Christendom agrees far far more than it disagrees. It’s the disagreements that are highlighted on discussion forums, and not the agreements. After all, discussing what we agree upon could be rather boring. I believe that the majority of Christians agree when it comes to the major tenets of Christianity.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by 2timothy316 »

1213 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:59 am
2timothy316 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:04 am ...Take your pick from: the trinity, ...
The word Trinity is not in the Bible, so it is not a Biblical problem.
Yet people continue to pick out pet scriptures to convince themselves and others that there is a triune god. Why didn't God see this issue coming and write something plainly so that there would be no confusion?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #14

Post by 2timothy316 »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:19 am
Jesus was looking for truth seekers Those seeking the truth would also seek an explanation (Matt. 13:36). They would dig deeper. Those who didn’t care about the truth would simply walk away
So if we look at #9 we see an answer from an atheist, are you saying that atheists don't seek truth in general or just don't seek truth about God and that is why the Bible is hard to understand for some? Is that the only reason?

It also doesn't explain why there are still so many different religions with different teachings. How one group will see one thing in the Bible and another group will see something else. Are both groups not seeking truth? Why are there differences in dogma?

While there are similarities in understanding for most of those that claim the Bible is their holy book, its not the similarities that I'm concerned with. The differences are the focus of this thread and why the Bible isn't clearer so there is no question for those that are seeking truth. Because its the differences that lead to friction and even war between religions. Example: Ireland's war between Catholics and Protestants. They didn't kill either other because of the things they agreed on.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #15

Post by MissKate13 »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:41 am
MissKate13 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:19 am
Jesus was looking for truth seekers Those seeking the truth would also seek an explanation (Matt. 13:36). They would dig deeper. Those who didn’t care about the truth would simply walk away
So if we look at #9 we see an answer from an atheist, are you saying that atheists don't seek truth in general or just don't seek truth about God and that is why the Bible is hard to understand for some? Is that the only reason?

It also doesn't explain why there are still so many different religions with different teachings. How one group will see one thing in the Bible and another group will see something else. Are both groups not seeking truth? Why are there differences in dogma?

While there are similarities in understanding for most of those that claim the Bible is their holy book, its not the similarities that I'm concerned with. The differences are the focus of this thread and why the Bible isn't clearer so there is no question for those that are seeking truth. Because its the differences that lead to friction and even war between religions. Example: Ireland's war between Catholics and Protestants. They didn't kill either other because of the things they agreed on.
I can’t speak for atheists. When Jesus spoke parables to the multitudes, I think it’s fair to say they, as God’s chosen people, they believed in God. They also believed in the Scriptures, but Jesus wasn’t the the kind of King they were expecting. They were looking for a military leader to free them from Roman oppression. He didn’t fit the bill, so they rejected Him.

Imho, people follow certain teachings either because they were raised in that denomination, or someone may have sold them a bill of goods. Satan does appear to some to be an angel of light.

I don’t think some are seeking truth. I think many read the Bible or parts of it to validate their beliefs aka proof texting. They aren’t truly seeking God’s truth.

I don’t have all the answers to you OP questions. I gave you my opinion for what it’s worth. I’m sure there are lots of reasons. They just don’t come to mind.

Have a nice day.

Kate

fredo

Post #16

Post by fredo »

God didn't make the Bible easy to understand because He wants us to search and read it in order to discover its true meaning. The Bible is actually a collection of writings from a variety of authors, each with their own perspectives and interpretations. This means that as readers, we can never be absolutely certain of what the Bible is actually saying. As well, there are cultural, historical and linguistic aspects to consider when reading the Bible that can significantly shape how it is interpreted. It is important for us to approach the Bible with open minds and hearts in order to unlock its true message and learn the lessons God has for us.

Miles
Savant

Post #17

Post by Miles »

fredo wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:56 pm God didn't make the Bible easy to understand because He wants us to search and read it in order to discover its true meaning. The Bible is actually a collection of writings from a variety of authors, each with their own perspectives and interpretations.
So what do you do with the following?

2 Timothy 3:16-17
"All Scripture is given by God. And all Scripture is useful for teaching and for showing people what is wrong in their lives. "

and

Proverbs 30:5-6
"Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.

Just ignore it?

This means that as readers, we can never be absolutely certain of what the Bible is actually saying.
Considering all the contradictions and misleading verses, see HERE, one certainly can't.
It is important for us to approach the Bible with open minds and hearts in order to unlock its true message and learn the lessons God has for us.
Which you have concluded to be, what?

Savant

Post #18

Post by 1213 »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:38 am
1213 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:59 am
2timothy316 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:04 am ...Take your pick from: the trinity, ...
The word Trinity is not in the Bible, so it is not a Biblical problem.
Yet people continue to pick out pet scriptures to convince themselves and others that there is a triune god. Why didn't God see this issue coming and write something plainly so that there would be no confusion?
I think Bible speaks plainly for example by saying:

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

historia
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by historia »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:51 pm
Those that read the Bible, rarely do they agree on what the Bible's message actually is. Why is that?
I would maybe answer this in two ways.

First, I think there are lot of times when people misunderstand what the text is saying because they are ignorant of the historical background. A lot of people naively read their own modern-day assumptions into the Bible.

Second, and more broadly, I think the problem is not so much that people misunderstand what the text is saying, but that they want the Bible to definitively answer certain theological questions that the biblical authors themselves did not set out to address.

The Bible is, after all, mostly a series of stories. It's not a work of systematic theology or like a creed or catechism laying out in detail what one ought to believe. It often only tangentially touches on various topics that modern-day Christians are interested in. And so, when it comes to these topics, readers naturally come away form the text with a variety of differing interpretations.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by Eloi »

About one (love) of three (wisdom, justice and love) of the major attributes of Jehovah reflected in the Bible, one of the last study articles of our official study magazine Watchtower, says:

The Bible gives evidence of its Author’s greatest quality​—love. (1 John 4:8) Consider what Jehovah included in the Bible and what he left out. He provided just what we need in order to have a relationship with him, to lead a happy life now, and to gain everlasting life. However, because Jehovah loves us, he did not overwhelm us with more details than we can handle.​—Read John 21:25.

Jehovah also showed love by communicating with us in a style that dignifies us. In the Bible, he does not give us an endless list of rules, micromanaging every aspect of our life. Rather, he appeals to our thinking ability through real-life stories, stirring prophecies, and practical counsel. In these ways, God’s Word moves us to love and obey him from our heart.

The Bible reveals that Jehovah is keenly interested in us. How so? His Word is filled with accounts that express human emotion. We can relate to Bible characters because they were people “with feelings like ours.” (Jas. 5:17) More important, by observing how he dealt with people like us, we are able to understand more clearly that “Jehovah is very tender in affection and merciful.”​—Jas. 5:11.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2023280

So there we have the information we need to fulfill the will of God with respect to us as individuals. Actually, the next article in the same magazine says:

How can you find spiritual treasures when reading the Bible? Consider what 2 Timothy 3:16, 17 states. (Read.) Note that “all Scripture is . . . beneficial” for (1) teaching, (2) reproving, (3) setting things straight, and (4) disciplining. You can obtain those four benefits even from Bible books that you do not use often. Analyze the account to see what it teaches you about Jehovah, about his purpose, or about godly principles. Consider how it is helpful for reproving. Do this by noting how the verses help you to identify and reject wrong tendencies or attitudes and to remain on a faithful course. Examine how the passage can be used to set straight, or correct, a wrong viewpoint, perhaps one you have encountered in the ministry. And look for any discipline the verses provide that can train you to reflect Jehovah’s thinking. When you keep these four benefits in mind, you will find spiritual treasures that can enrich your Bible reading. https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2023281

... and, in short, that is the intrinsic value of the Bible. The more we read it, the better we can understand the answer to many of our questions and doubts. We cannot interpret the Bible in a personal way...especially if we only consider a text or passage out of the general context, and without taking into account the basic and fundamental teachings that are obvious throughout the book.