Does Creation Itself Prove That God Did It?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Skeptical
Apprentice

Does Creation Itself Prove That God Did It?

Post #1

Post by Skeptical »

Hello, all. I'm new to the forum and as you can tell by my screen name, I'm a bit of a skeptic, that is, a bit skeptical about religious beliefs. Therefore, I wanted to have a debate/discussion with Christians about whether or not creation itself actually proves the creative powers of God. And a Bible verse that came to mind says that creation itself makes that self-evident at Romans 1:20:

https://biblehub.com/romans/1-20.htm
New International Version
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Young's Literal Translation
for the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world, by the things made being understood, are plainly seen, both His eternal power and Godhead -- to their being inexcusable;
However, it would seem as if some things found in nature would demonstrate that God's invisible qualities and divine nature cannot be clearly seen and understood from what has been made since the creation of the world. And I'm not an expert in science, but I was going to bring up the example of the ring of fire and the Pangea and show this short little video:

But while looking for that video, I came across this 23 minute video and I had never heard anything like it before in my life:

I mean, there were a lot of assumptions and extrapolations, and a lot of things said that were not even remotely said in the Bible. And then there's the whole thing about how the all the dinosaurs were living in different continents before Noah's flood occurrenced. Because, I mean, what would have happened with all that if Eve hadn't have bitten that apple? :( Plus, one can only conclude that God decided to subject all of humankind to the horrors of the ring of fire by unleashing the flood of Noah's day because apparently, that was the best option that he could think of? :| It all just doesn't make sense to me. But does anyone else have any comments?

William
Savant

Re: Does Creation Itself Prove That God Did It?

Post #11

Post by William »

William wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:55 pm [Replying to Skeptical in post #1]

What always interested me about the image of Pangea is how fetal-like it looks.

Its the green part with a blue background I was referring to.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Athetotheist »

brunumb wrote:That's only because the man with the big nose got in the way of the photo. :P
The man with the big nose is Nixon. The man over on the west coast is Leonid Brezhnev.

William
Savant

Post #13

Post by William »

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by Skeptical »

DrNoGods wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:06 pm [Replying to Skeptical in post #1]
It all just doesn't make sense to me. But does anyone else have any comments?
Do some reading on this forum you'll find a huge number of comments and topics, as you might expect. Creation myths are plentiful and the one in Genesis is just one of many:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_creation_myths

As far as I know, not one of them has any scientific or observational support, although many were developed so long ago the science we know today did not exist. It made sense in those times to attribute things too complicated to explain to god beings of various kinds, and "creation" is just one of those (along with weather phenomena, famines, diseases, the nature movements of celestial bodies, etc.). We now know better.
I've been a bit busy and I haven't had a minute to post. But I did look around a bit, but it didn't look as if there were any theists or believers around here. So, are there? And if not, how is it that this forum has debate forums? Because they would appear more like echo chambers to me.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #15

Post by Skeptical »

William wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:11 pm

There's a word for personally perceiving images in things, but I can't think of that word right now. ;)

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #16

Post by Skeptical »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:45 pm It's definitely counterintuitive that there should be something, and not nothing.
What do you mean?

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #17

Post by Skeptical »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:21 am Welcome. In asking Theists these questions, I hope you are ready to have a whole lot of more junk science dumped on you. The problem is Theists only care about science if they can use it to support their religious beliefs, so they will gladly shed any science if they need to, so don't hold your breath for a rigorous scientific debate.
Oh, so there are theists at this forum. Well, I would like everyone's point of view because that Genesis Apologetics video did kind of throw me for a loop.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #18

Post by Skeptical »

Athetotheist wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:11 pm

brunumb wrote:That's only because the man with the big nose got in the way of the photo. :P
The man with the big nose is Nixon. The man over on the west coast is Leonid Brezhnev.
That's funny.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Skeptical in post #14]
But I did look around a bit, but it didn't look as if there were any theists or believers around here. So, are there?
Oh yes ... far more than nonbelievers. Just head to Board index > Debate, then to sections like Christianity and Apoligetics (largest number of posts by far on the entire forum), or Theology, Doctrine and Dogma. You'll find theists galore willing to debate on a wide range of topics.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

William
Savant

Post #20

Post by William »

Skeptical wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:24 pm
William wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:11 pm

There's a word for personally perceiving images in things, but I can't think of that word right now. ;)

I think the word you may be looking for is "pareidolia." Pareidolia is a psychological phenomenon where the mind perceives a familiar pattern, shape, or image in a random or vague stimulus. This can occur when looking at clouds, a stain on the wall, or even the surface of Mars. The human brain has a natural tendency to seek out patterns and familiar shapes, which can sometimes lead to the perception of objects which said shapes remind us of.

But if others can see the same shape, and agree that the shape is reminiscent/like the object it reminds them of, then the shape/likeness must be there…