Christianity's Problem

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Christianity's Problem

Post #1

Post by POI »

God wants to communicate truth to his creation, right? Thus, if this is the case, then why communicate like he did? Many were/are illiterate, and/or are lazy. Meaning, many Christians have not made a true effort to read their Bible's, from cover to cover, and try to understand it completely. God would know all of this. But even if all read the Bible, and felt they understood every word, mass disagreement would soon develop anyways. As evidence by the endless denominations. Further, even the highly educated do not agree. Heck, we can even go as far as to establish that people who study hermeneutics do not agree. Even in the best case of scenarios, if everyone were to pick up a Bible, read it several times from cover to cover; mass disagreement, on many topics, would likely still persist.

For Debate:

Seems as though Jesus-God did a poor job in clearly conveying his message(s). Does Jesus-God REALLY wish to convey truth to his creation? Because if he does, why be satisfied with the published Bible?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Miles
Savant

Re: Christianity's Problem

Post #2

Post by Miles »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:14 pm God wants to communicate truth to his creation, right? Thus, if this is the case, then why communicate like he did? Many were/are illiterate, and/or are lazy. Meaning, many Christians have not made a true effort to read their Bible's, from cover to cover, and try to understand it completely. God would know all of this. But even if all read the Bible, and felt they understood every word, mass disagreement would soon develop anyways. As evidence by the endless denominations.
Just as a FYI, there are more than 200 Christian denominations in the U.S. and a staggering 45,000 globally.
source

Further, even the highly educated do not agree. Heck, we can even go as far as to establish that people who study hermeneutics do not agree. Even in the best case of scenarios, if everyone were to pick up a Bible, read it several times from cover to cover; mass disagreement, on many topics, would likely still persist.
As I've noted elsewhere, Christianity is a truly Do-It-Yourself religion. Take a little. Leave a little. Invent whatever you like.

For Debate:

Seems as though Jesus-God did a poor job in clearly conveying his message(s).
If his intention was to gather followers he certainly did. Just look at all those who are supposedly going to end up in his hell simply because he failed to get his message to them, or was such a poor teacher that they never bought it, OR having bought it, are subsequently discarding it.

............................. Image

Does Jesus-God REALLY wish to convey truth to his creation?
Considering how fast Christianity is going into the tank, I rather doubt it. If he actually exists I doubt he cares anymore for the praise, love, adoration, and worship, he once expected from his creatures. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he's closed the gates of heaven and is sending the whole bunch of us to Hell to weep and gnash our teeth for all eternity. Not that we deserve it, but that's just the kind of guy god is.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I was going to leave this one alone as the supposed increase in irreligion is what it (and the denials and evasions are what they are) and we just have to carry on spreading the message. But darnnit, there is so little response just now (maybe they are all in Megachurch, handing out dollars to millionaire preachers) that I'll post something that may be contributing to this trend and process.

I would normally avoid the unhealthy link between politics and religion, but in America, it is positively toxic. Ah gatta dream terday, folks...that one day there will be after a black president, a woman president a transgender president, a muslim president and a wooden pole with a crown on it as president, there will be an Atheist president of the US (I mean one that comes out and says it) and they will take me out of cryostasis to see her inauguration speech.

But this is only so I can't be accused of posting a video with no argument ;) as these days I never shout at my computer screen only at my keyboard.But I came darn near to it with the Holy Koolaid episode that popped up and how they doubled down, denied and evaded about the fact that they were all clearly false prophets about the last election.

Now, one might get a cold, sick, feeling in the stomach to think that half of voting America will go along with that, but maybe not. Maybe like the ones who were wrong about the coming destruction were wrong and tried to say 'it'll happen...in a month or so' there is a limit to how much hogwash you can sell to people brought up on it.

POI
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by POI »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:50 am But darnnit, there is so little response
The question becomes..... Why is there such little response? :)

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

POI wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:04 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:50 am But darnnit, there is so little response
I believe the Christians here have simply grown weary of defending the challenges we skeptics have brought to the table, and they want no more of it. Whereas we still find satisfaction in showing them the errors of their belief, which I think may be in response to the Christian need to continually proclaim their righteous superiority---misguided as it is.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Miles wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:36 pm
POI wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:04 pm
I believe the Christians here have simply grown weary of defending the challenges we skeptics have brought to the table, and they want no more of it. Whereas we still find satisfaction in showing them the errors of their belief, which I think may be in response to the Christian need to continually proclaim their righteous superiority---misguided as it is.

It could be a lot of things. I have seen the faithful prefer to protect their faith from any insidious doubts and questions and just leave us to what they see as our 'echo chamber'. They reason that they have numbers and nobody listens to us. But the figures suggest that this is not the case.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JoeyKnothead »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:14 pm Does Jesus-God REALLY wish to convey truth to his creation? Because if he does, why be satisfied with the published Bible?
Cause he ain't near smart as folks think he is?

I mean think about, how smart is it to think he exists, much less to exist as described in the Bible? And these are the folks telling us how smart he is? Think about Carlin's take on average intelligence.

Or he doesn't exist, so we can all abort our babies and eat em in the basement of our favorite pizza parlors, while we dress in drag and learn critical race theory.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:14 pm ...
Seems as though Jesus-God did a poor job in clearly conveying his message(s). Does Jesus-God REALLY wish to convey truth to his creation? Because if he does, why be satisfied with the published Bible?
It seems to me that Bible is good for anyone who loves truth and remains in truth. And by what I see, the problems come only when people are not truthful. I believe that is why God is satisfied with the Bible.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by JoeyKnothead »

1213 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:25 am It seems to me that Bible is good for anyone who loves truth and remains in truth. And by what I see, the problems come only when people are not truthful. I believe that is why God is satisfied with the Bible.
Because only people who believe in claims that can't be shown to be true are truthful?

You might as well just say something bad about our mothers.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

POI
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:25 am
POI wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:14 pm ...
It seems to me that Bible is good for anyone who loves truth and remains in truth. And by what I see, the problems come only when people are not truthful. I believe that is why God is satisfied with the Bible.
This response does not really touch upon the intent here... We have countless earnest Christians, who all think they have the right interpretation(s). And yet, they cannot not all be right. How is God pleased with this result?

Your response lends nothing to the topic. Why? All you are effectively saying, is that anyone who does not translate the Bible like YOU do, does not like truth. And this would include millions, if not billions of proclaimed Christians, who claim just as much, if not more, honesty than you.

Maybe it's YOU, who does not like truth, because you interpret the Bible differently than another fellow Christian. :approve: