Christianity's Problem

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Christianity's Problem

Post #1

Post by POI »

God wants to communicate truth to his creation, right? Thus, if this is the case, then why communicate like he did? Many were/are illiterate, and/or are lazy. Meaning, many Christians have not made a true effort to read their Bible's, from cover to cover, and try to understand it completely. God would know all of this. But even if all read the Bible, and felt they understood every word, mass disagreement would soon develop anyways. As evidence by the endless denominations. Further, even the highly educated do not agree. Heck, we can even go as far as to establish that people who study hermeneutics do not agree. Even in the best case of scenarios, if everyone were to pick up a Bible, read it several times from cover to cover; mass disagreement, on many topics, would likely still persist.

For Debate:

Seems as though Jesus-God did a poor job in clearly conveying his message(s). Does Jesus-God REALLY wish to convey truth to his creation? Because if he does, why be satisfied with the published Bible?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Re: Christianity's Problem

Post #111

Post by POI »

tam wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:50 pm Indeed, but as stated, not all who profess to be Christian are listening to Christ.
How do you know you are listening to Christ, verses not? Faith, other?
tam wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:50 pm You keep assuming how God and His Son feel. Do you think God and Christ like everything that happens in this world? Of course not.
I'm not assuming. I'm asking you, since you seem to think you hear Christ.

Why doesn't Jesus-God convey his messages more clearly, so all the earnest will at least interpret the same answers? If a teacher sees their students trying, but many do not get it, and this teacher cares about these truth messages, wouldn't this teacher keep intervening, until they get it? How do you know are not one these individuals, which do not get the right messages, and Jesus is patiently trying to give it to you still?
tam wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:50 pm But Christ said His sheep would listen to His voice. He did not say everyone would listen to His voice. He even said that many would call Him "Lord", but that He never knew them.
Maybe this is you? How do you know? Maybe he is sad because you do not get it, even though he keeps trying to correct you?
tam wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:10 pm
You would need to look to Christ for that. But then why would you not just listen to and follow Him instead of being concerned about what everyone else is doing?
No. I'm not taking it out of context. I tried what you suggest and feel I'm speaking to myself. It's a good thing I seem to find many, who think they hear his words.

Let's try a very simple test. Something I alluded to many posts back.

Question for Jesus-God.... Did the Exodus really happen? Yes or no? If you hear Jesus, there should be no ambiguity in his response. It's a yes/no question. We can start solving many of these debates, right here, and right now; now that I've found the source to god's word. No need to take hermeneutics either.

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #112

Post by JoeyKnothead »

kjw47 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:52 pm So then you will believe those who will not enter Gods kingdom and lose out on gaining everlasting life.
I will believe those who can show their claims are truth.

Can you show there's an everlasting life to be had?
You should think about the value of everlasting life.
And you should think about the value of supporting your claims.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

tam
Savant

Post #113

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
POI wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:14 pm
tam wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:50 pm Indeed, but as stated, not all who profess to be Christian are listening to Christ.
How do you know you are listening to Christ, verses not? Faith, other?
tam wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:50 pm You keep assuming how God and His Son feel. Do you think God and Christ like everything that happens in this world? Of course not.
I'm not assuming. I'm asking you, since you seem to think you hear Christ.

Why doesn't Jesus-God convey his messages more clearly, so all the earnest will at least interpret the same answers?

There is not supposed to be interpretation by men. We are supposed to listen.
If a teacher sees their students trying, but many do not get it, and this teacher cares about these truth messages, wouldn't this teacher keep intervening, until they get it? How do you know are not one these individuals, which do not get the right messages, and Jesus is patiently trying to give it to you still?
That would make me the one lacking, though, right? Not my Teacher, the one who continues to teach and correct, out of love and compassion. Right?

So the problem even here would not lie with the Teacher, but rather with me (with man).

tam wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:50 pm But Christ said His sheep would listen to His voice. He did not say everyone would listen to His voice. He even said that many would call Him "Lord", but that He never knew them.
Maybe this is you? How do you know? Maybe he is sad because you do not get it, even though he keeps trying to correct you?
Here again, His continuous attempts to correct me would show HIS love and compassion. I would be the one lacking.

You would need to look to Christ for that. But then why would you not just listen to and follow Him instead of being concerned about what everyone else is doing?
No. I'm not taking it out of context. I tried what you suggest and feel I'm speaking to myself. It's a good thing I seem to find many, who think they hear his words.
So you gave up? Or are you continuing to try out of love for Him? Because He said to knock and keep knocking (and He is not asking us to do anything that He does not do Himself) and the door will be opened.

We can start solving many of these debates, right here, and right now; now that I've found the source to god's word. No need to take hermeneutics either.
But that is not true and you know it.

Peace again to you.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Diogenes
Guru

Post #114

Post by Diogenes »

And how do you judge who, among those "professing to be Christian" are actually "listening to Christ?"
For example, why should anyone believe that YOU are actually listening to Christ?
You appear to be setting yourself up as the judge as to who is and who is not following Christ.

Yet this is precisely what Jesus warned against when he specifically asked "Who are you to judge your brother?"*

tam
Savant

Post #115

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Diogenes wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:57 pm
And how do you judge who, among those "professing to be Christian" are actually "listening to Christ?"

I prefer to go with what people are SAYING and hold THAT up to Christ. Discussion can ensue from there, though always a person should put Christ first and listen to Him.

For example, why should anyone believe that YOU are actually listening to Christ?

Why not simply test what I share? Hold it up to Christ? If your goal is to listen to Christ, then it matters what He says, right? He is the one who is the Truth.

You appear to be setting yourself up as the judge as to who is and who is not following Christ.

Yet this is precisely what Jesus warned against when he specifically asked "Who are you to judge your brother?"*

Knowing that someone is not listening to Christ is not the same as judging your brother (and Romans 14 is Paul speaking), no more than calling a thief a thief is judging them. Judging would be something more on top of that... such as casting judgment or a sentence of some sort.

Christ said the following:

I know your deeds, your labor, and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate those who are evil, and you have tested and exposed as liars those who falsely claim to be apostles. 3Without growing weary, you have persevered and endured many things for the sake of My name.

He warned us there would be false teachers; He warned us to watch out for wolves disguised as sheep. Why would He warn us of them and not permit us to test and recognize them?

But simply being wrong about something does not mean that a person is not a Christian (or a disciple of Christ). A person may simply be misunderstanding something.

Peace again.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #116

Post by TRANSPONDER »

tam wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:16 am Peace to you,
Diogenes wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:57 pm

I prefer to go with what people are SAYING and hold THAT up to Christ. Discussion can ensue from there, though always a person should put Christ first and listen to Him.

Why not simply test what I share? Hold it up to Christ? If your goal is to listen to Christ, then it matters what He says, right? He is the one who is the Truth.

Knowing that someone is not listening to Christ is not the same as judging your brother (and Romans 14 is Paul speaking), no more than calling a thief a thief is judging them. Judging would be something more on top of that... such as casting judgment or a sentence of some sort.

Christ said the following:

I know your deeds, your labor, and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate those who are evil, and you have tested and exposed as liars those who falsely claim to be apostles. 3Without growing weary, you have persevered and endured many things for the sake of My name.

He warned us there would be false teachers; He warned us to watch out for wolves disguised as sheep. Why would He warn us of them and not permit us to test and recognize them?

But simply being wrong about something does not mean that a person is not a Christian (or a disciple of Christ). A person may simply be misunderstanding something.

Peace again.

But there's your problem,right there. Those who claim to be getting it right say that it is because they are mentally in contact with Jesus. There is no misunderstanding because they are getting Truth from Jesus. But then when other Christians are saying different things, how can one tell which are really getting it from Jesus and which ones only Believe they are? We haven't even touched on those in a religion with a different god and Holy Book.

There is no valid reason to credit anyone's claim that they are interpreting the Bible right and getting true beliefs and Dogma from Jesus. And yet we hear it so often.

And peace to you,Tam :D
Last edited by TRANSPONDER on Tue May 09, 2023 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Savant

Post #117

Post by 1213 »

Diogenes wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:16 pm ...Trump urged his mob to walk to the Capitol building, from ...
Please show the proof for that he said so.
Diogenes wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:16 pm You are citing Fox News and Tucker Carlsen, both of whom admit they lie to you. Fox finally fired Carlson when his toxic racism became too much even for him....
Carlson has not said to me he lies. But, it does not matter what they say, the videos are what matters and they show that those who accuse Trump and his supporters are lying.

Savant

Post #118

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:40 am ...
Recap.... God instructs that slave masters are NOT TO BE PUNISHED, as long as the slave do not die, or lose an eye or tooth. This why slave masters beat their slaves, with complete impunity, from the back side. Now, can you please stop avoiding my questions?

So then WHY does God go out of his way to instruct NO punishment for beating others and/or to keep others for life as property and/or breed your lifetime property and/pr keep the offspring as well?
If you beat your property, you punish yourself by damaging your property. No need to make special rule about that, especially when it is said in the Bible that people should love others.

By what I see, if people follow God's rules, they don't keep anyone as a slave against the persons will. If person accepts the position, I can accept it also. But, I would not accept anyone to be kidnapped and sold, which I think is also against Bible rules.

POI
Prodigy

Post #119

Post by POI »

tam wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:52 pm There is not supposed to be interpretation by men. We are supposed to listen.
Okay? So when you listen, and hear what he says, do you comprehend the message? If so, do you understand what he is saying, as you listen? Or, do you just listen and hear noises and words, but do not comprehend?
tam wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:52 pm That would make me the one lacking, though, right? Not my Teacher, the one who continues to teach and correct, out of love and compassion. Right?

So the problem even here would not lie with the Teacher, but rather with me (with man).
Again, how do you know it is not YOU who are not getting the "listened to messages from Jesus" all wrong?
So you gave up? Or are you continuing to try out of love for Him? Because He said to knock and keep knocking (and He is not asking us to do anything that He does not do Himself) and the door will be opened.
I knocked for 30+ years. My knuckles are worn off. This is why I'm asking the ones, in which Jesus appears to speak to. And luckily, I've found one. You!
tam wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:10 pm But that is not true and you know it.
I know what is not true, that he actually speaks to you? Well, probably. I honestly do not think any of you, who claim to hear/listen, actually hear words from any external agency. This is my point. I asked you to ask him a simple question about the Exodus, and instead, you give me these responses.

What does Jesus-God say about the Exodus? A) did happen B) did not happen? Please tell me what his answer is?

But, to real this back in to the OP question. Is Jesus-God satisfied with the level of communication he is apparently NOT providing? Being we have countless earnest Christians, all conflicting with one another? Seems as though it is the teacher's fault, and not the student.

POI
Prodigy

Post #120

Post by POI »

tam wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:16 am I know your deeds, your labor, and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate those who are evil, and you have tested and exposed as liars those who falsely claim to be apostles. 3Without growing weary, you have persevered and endured many things for the sake of My name.
So you are interpreting Bible passages, or not?.?.?.?.?.