Does the Free Market Prove we have Souls?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Does the Free Market Prove we have Souls?

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

This is only in the context of believing that the free market actually does discover value. I... don't believe it always does. But if I did I suppose I'd have to believe there was something about a living person that goes beyond the rational.

Question for Debate: Assuming the free market does work properly to discover value, does it prove we have souls?

Why?

The cost of a slave is about the same as the cost of a car. Slave owners of the 1800s will not pay that for a dead slave.

The cost of a baby can be $50,000 on the black market, and a baby doesn't do any work. Prospective parents will not pay that for a dead baby or for a chemistry set full of the elements a baby is made out of.

On the face of it this is the stupidest thing I have ever posted. I admit I am laughing at it myself. Yet going by the maxim that the free market works to discover value, then there is a value to a living person that goes beyond the work it does or the elements it is composed of. This doesn't prove the souls go anywhere when they die, but it does prove that humans have an extra-rational value and I don't see why you wouldn't call that a soul. It also works just as well to prove animals have souls as a fine quality purebreed animal may be worth thousands, which it is not worth any longer when dead.

Miles
Savant

Re: Does the Free Market Prove we have Souls?

Post #11

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:28 pm
Miles wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:49 pm
Are you suggesting the above verses demonstrate that God is not depicted in scripture as valuing all lives ?
YES.

Why?
Oh no you don't. No jumping line here. Ya gotta address my request first.

"perhaps you can explain why ordering all the men and women and all of their children and little babies of the Amalekites to be killed, plus ordering all of their cattle and sheep and all of their camels and donkey to be killed, is an instance of their having value in god's eyes.

. We await your apologetics.
"

Of course if you can't explain, we'll all understand. :mrgreen:

Miles
Savant

Post #12

Post by Miles »

Miles wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:18 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:28 pm
Miles wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:49 pm
Are you suggesting the above verses demonstrate that God is not depicted in scripture as valuing all lives ?
YES.

Why?
Oh no you don't. No jumping line here. Ya gotta address my request first.

"perhaps you can explain why ordering all the men and women and all of their children and little babies of the Amalekites to be killed, plus ordering all of their cattle and sheep and all of their camels and donkey to be killed, is an instance of their having value in god's eyes.

. We await your apologetics.
"

Of course if you can't explain, we'll all understand. :mrgreen:

These users thanked the author Miles for the post:
JehovahsWitness
..................... Image

Wootah
Savant

Post #13

Post by Wootah »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:03 pm This is only in the context of believing that the free market actually does discover value. I... don't believe it always does. But if I did I suppose I'd have to believe there was something about a living person that goes beyond the rational.

Question for Debate: Assuming the free market does work properly to discover value, does it prove we have souls?

Why?

The cost of a slave is about the same as the cost of a car. Slave owners of the 1800s will not pay that for a dead slave.

The cost of a baby can be $50,000 on the black market, and a baby doesn't do any work. Prospective parents will not pay that for a dead baby or for a chemistry set full of the elements a baby is made out of.

On the face of it this is the stupidest thing I have ever posted. I admit I am laughing at it myself. Yet going by the maxim that the free market works to discover value, then there is a value to a living person that goes beyond the work it does or the elements it is composed of. This doesn't prove the souls go anywhere when they die, but it does prove that humans have an extra-rational value and I don't see why you wouldn't call that a soul. It also works just as well to prove animals have souls as a fine quality purebreed animal may be worth thousands, which it is not worth any longer when dead.
I come at this from the opposite direction. Without a soul, without being made in the image of God, without having value because you know God died for you and that you are innately worthy of respect and value.

Without those concepts what value are you?

Most of us know that at the beginning and at the end of life we have no value. Most of us know that for most of the rest of our life, we have no value. Those that have value are not valuable because of themselves but because they have acquired knowledge and skills that give them market value. I heard it said we are worth about 5 bucks in materials.

I honestly think once you let them take away your soul you have nothing left. It is the most important part of you.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:44 pm
I come at this from the opposite direction. Without a soul, without being made in the image of God, without having value because you know God died for you and that you are innately worthy of respect and value.

True value. Not that derived from mythology.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #15

Post by Wootah »

Tcg wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:19 pm

Tcg
I need more words from you to know what you are saying. What is true value? How is true value not deeply embedded in your own mythology that generated you saying it?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:59 pm
Tcg wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:19 pm

Tcg
I need more words from you to know what you are saying. What is true value? How is true value not deeply embedded in your own mythology that generated you saying it?
True value is that not based on mythology. I by the way have no mythology. My thoughts are based in reality. Gods, demons, angels, 900+ year old men, global floods, resurrected humans, etc., etc., etc,. These are the components of mythology not reality. I reject them all for the nonsense that they are.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #17

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Tcg in post #16]
You still need words to support your concept of true value.

Tcg
Savant

Post #18

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:50 am [Replying to Tcg in post #16]
Accurate, correct, faithful, realistic, genuine, legitimate, authentic, actual, trustworthy, truthful, bona fide, factual, indubitable. There's more than a dozen for you.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #19

Post by Wootah »

Tcg wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:22 am
Accurate, correct, faithful, realistic, genuine, legitimate, authentic, actual, trustworthy, truthful, bona fide, factual, indubitable. There's more than a dozen for you.

Tcg
I can spot religious terminology a mile off. What is your argument that you have true value or are worth anything?

Tcg
Savant

Post #20

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:25 am
Tcg wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:22 am

Tcg

I can spot religious terminology a mile off.
What religious terminology?
What is your argument that you have true value or are worth anything?
I am human.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom