Does the Free Market Prove we have Souls?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Does the Free Market Prove we have Souls?

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

This is only in the context of believing that the free market actually does discover value. I... don't believe it always does. But if I did I suppose I'd have to believe there was something about a living person that goes beyond the rational.

Question for Debate: Assuming the free market does work properly to discover value, does it prove we have souls?

Why?

The cost of a slave is about the same as the cost of a car. Slave owners of the 1800s will not pay that for a dead slave.

The cost of a baby can be $50,000 on the black market, and a baby doesn't do any work. Prospective parents will not pay that for a dead baby or for a chemistry set full of the elements a baby is made out of.

On the face of it this is the stupidest thing I have ever posted. I admit I am laughing at it myself. Yet going by the maxim that the free market works to discover value, then there is a value to a living person that goes beyond the work it does or the elements it is composed of. This doesn't prove the souls go anywhere when they die, but it does prove that humans have an extra-rational value and I don't see why you wouldn't call that a soul. It also works just as well to prove animals have souls as a fine quality purebreed animal may be worth thousands, which it is not worth any longer when dead.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: Does the Free Market Prove we have Souls?

Post #2

Post by boatsnguitars »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:03 pm This is only in the context of believing that the free market actually does discover value. I... don't believe it always does. But if I did I suppose I'd have to believe there was something about a living person that goes beyond the rational.

Question for Debate: Assuming the free market does work properly to discover value, does it prove we have souls?

Why?

The cost of a slave is about the same as the cost of a car. Slave owners of the 1800s will not pay that for a dead slave.

The cost of a baby can be $50,000 on the black market, and a baby doesn't do any work. Prospective parents will not pay that for a dead baby or for a chemistry set full of the elements a baby is made out of.

On the face of it this is the stupidest thing I have ever posted. I admit I am laughing at it myself. Yet going by the maxim that the free market works to discover value, then there is a value to a living person that goes beyond the work it does or the elements it is composed of. This doesn't prove the souls go anywhere when they die, but it does prove that humans have an extra-rational value and I don't see why you wouldn't call that a soul. It also works just as well to prove animals have souls as a fine quality purebreed animal may be worth thousands, which it is not worth any longer when dead.
Not a stupid premise. We are often persuaded by the status quo to argue within a certain paradigm, but there is no obligtion to do such in philosophy.
We need to consider these things, since - let's be honest - there is no God telling us what is moral. If we don't do the hard work, who will?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Purple Knight »

boatsnguitars wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:16 pmNot a stupid premise. We are often persuaded by the status quo to argue within a certain paradigm, but there is no obligation to do such in philosophy.
No obligation, I agree. But I want to explore it. In the context of believing that the free market does discover value, would it mean we had souls?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by boatsnguitars »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:25 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:16 pmNot a stupid premise. We are often persuaded by the status quo to argue within a certain paradigm, but there is no obligation to do such in philosophy.
No obligation, I agree. But I want to explore it. In the context of believing that the free market does discover value, would it mean we had souls?
It would mean souls are, perhaps, the ulimate commodity.

And, to give my honest opinion, the ultimate commodity today is your attention: click, swipes, likes, etc.
Today, AI - smarter than any human alive at the "attention game" - is targeting straight for our reptilian brain.
We have no chance.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

The free market is a way of establishing monetary value; some things are precious, even priceless without carrying a market value. This is why most sane people know one cannot place a price on their baby's sweet kisses or a hug from a dying friend. Biblically, life is not only priceless, since it comes from God it is sacred and all living things have value in God's eyes.
MATTHEW 10:29

What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it.

RELATED POSTS
What is life?
viewtopic.php?p=1083671#p1083671

When does life begin?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 76#p904476

Do all people have equal fundamental worth and dignity?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 39#p948839

Can one earn everlasting life? [this post]
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 98#p968098
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

LOVE , LIFE and ... PURPOSE
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:17 pm The free market is a way of establishing monetary value; some things are precious, even priceless without carrying a market value. This is why most sane people know one cannot place a price on their baby's sweet kisses or a hug from a dying friend. Biblically, life is not only priceless, since it comes from God it is sacred and all living things have value in God's eyes.
Ah yes, "all living things have value in God's eyes." Except when they don't. :mrgreen:

1 Samuel 15:2-3
2 The Lord All-Powerful says: ‘When the Israelites came out of Egypt, the Amalekites tried to stop them from going to Canaan. I saw what the Amalekites did. 3 Now go fight against the Amalekites. You must completely destroy the Amalekites and everything that belongs to them. Don’t let anything live; you must kill all the men and women and all of their children and little babies. You must kill all of their cattle and sheep and all of their camels and donkeys.’”

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Miles wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:10 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:17 pm The free market is a way of establishing monetary value; some things are precious, even priceless without carrying a market value. This is why most sane people know one cannot place a price on their baby's sweet kisses or a hug from a dying friend. Biblically, life is not only priceless, since it comes from God it is sacred and all living things have value in God's eyes.
Ah yes, "all living things have value in God's eyes." Except when they don't. :mrgreen:

2 The Lord All-Powerful says: ‘When the Israelites came out of Egypt, the Amalekites tried to stop them from going to Canaan. I saw what the Amalekites did. 3 Now go fight against the Amalekites. You must completely destroy the Amalekites and everything that belongs to them. Don’t let anything live; you must kill all the men and women and all of their children and little babies. You must kill all of their cattle and sheep and all of their camels and donkeys.’”

Are you suggesting the above verses demonstrate that God is not depicted in scripture as valuing all lives ? I don't really expect an answer (as sarcasm is rarely substituted for intelligent discourse) but could you explain in complete sentences rarher than emojis what your point is and how you feel the above verses support it?)

Thanks,

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:56 am
Miles wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:10 pm

Are you suggesting the above verses demonstrate that God is not depicted in scripture as valuing all lives ?
YES.

I don't really expect an answer (as sarcasm is rarely substituted for intelligent discourse) but could you explain in complete sentences rarher than emojis what your point is and how you feel the above verses support it?)
But I'll give you one anyway, \:D/

As I see it, you say X exists, and the bible gives an instance of X not existing.

Now if you believe ordering all the men and women and all of their children and little babies of the Amalekites to be killed, plus ordering all of their cattle and sheep and all of their camels and donkey to be killed, to be an instance of their having value in god's eyes, so be it. I do not.

But perhaps you can explain why ordering all the men and women and all of their children and little babies of the Amalekites to be killed, plus ordering all of their cattle and sheep and all of their camels and donkey to be killed, is an instance of their having value in god's eyes.

I await your apologetics.

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

[Replying to Miles in post #8]

BUMP to restart thread.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Miles wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:49 pm
Are you suggesting the above verses demonstrate that God is not depicted in scripture as valuing all lives ?
YES.

Why?