It's a Miracle!

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

It's a Miracle!

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

We often hear tales of unexpected recoveries from serious illness. Some present these as evidence of God intervening in the lives of human beings. I suppose it is intended to show that God exists and is benevolent.

My daughter-in-law who is an RN was recently talking about a case such as this. She wasn't presenting it as evidence for God, but rather just an event she experienced. I asked her if it ever goes the other way and she recounted a time when a patient was due to be released the following morning and they died that night.

Why do some point to the first as being a "miracle" of a benevolent God and yet never mention the latter as evidence that God doesn't exist or is malevolent?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: It's a Miracle!

Post #21

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:16 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:47 am
1213 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:54 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:19 am On top of that, when Grosjean talked about it afterwards, he was thinking about his family and how he might get free, not praying. There is absolutely no way this was a miracle, and yet, some were still popping up on the net trying to claim it as intervention of God.
People still believe in the intervention of God, because you can't prove He could not have been part of it. If you want to get rid of that belief, you should prove God had nothing to do with it.
Who had what to do with what?
God with a miracle.
What I think is going on is taking something that absolutely is provably NOT a miracle and pinning evidence for God to it and refusing any argument that it isn't. It is the habitualillogical and faithbased cherating that the Faithful have to do in order to justify their faith, when what they should honestly do, if it were possible, is to cheerfully admit they have Faith but really no good evidence and accept that someone without any faith in godclaims has no valid reason to be persuaded. But they cannot admit that they have no good reason to believe even though they refute themselves at this basic level, because Faith is the perfect reason to believe and having a good reason dilutes Faith.
Last edited by TRANSPONDER on Fri May 05, 2023 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #22

Post by TRANSPONDER »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:19 am On top of that, when Grosjean talked about it afterwards, he was thinking about his family and how he might get free, not praying. There is absolutely no way this was a miracle, and yet, some were still popping up on the net trying to claim it as intervention of God.
People still believe in the intervention of God, because you can't prove He could not have been part of it. If you want to get rid of that belief, you should prove God had nothing to do with it.
God with a miracle.
Miracle claims actually don't prove a god. Never mind which one.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by boatsnguitars »

God with a miracle.
But God doesn't exist, or you haven't shown one does, and I'm not even sure you've established that actual miracles happen. People believing stuff doesn't mean jack.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Savant

Post #24

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:16 am
God with a miracle.
Luckily, I don't think it matters what do you believe. Eternal life is promised in the Bible for righteous. Believing is not useful, if you are not righteous. And disbelief is not a problem, if you are righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

That is why I think it is not necessary to prove existence of God in a way that would not leave any excuses.

Savant

Post #25

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:12 am What I think is going on is taking something that absolutely is provably NOT a miracle and pinning evidence for God to it and refusing any argument that it isn't. It is the habitualillogical and faithbased cherating that the Faithful have to do in order to justify their faith, when what they should honestly do, if it were possible, is to cheerfully admit they have Faith but really no good evidence and accept that someone without any faith in godclaims has no valid reason to be persuaded. But they cannot admit that they have no good reason to believe even though they refute themselves at this basic level, because Faith is the perfect reason to believe and having a good reason dilutes Faith.
For me God is similar as Newton's laws, if things go as the law says, I can believe it.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #26

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:29 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:16 am
God with a miracle.
Luckily, I don't think it matters what do you believe. Eternal life is promised in the Bible for righteous. Believing is not useful, if you are not righteous. And disbelief is not a problem, if you are righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

That is why I think it is not necessary to prove existence of God in a way that would not leave any excuses.
It doesn't matter what you or I believe, but what the evidence points to and the logic. The evidence is that a god is not demonstable (but is a matter of belief) andlogic says there is no valid reason to beleive in a god. Never mind which one. And quoting Bible verses, whether trying to frighten or bribe people into belief, is irrelevant.
1213 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:29 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:12 am What I think is going on is taking something that absolutely is provably NOT a miracle and pinning evidence for God to it and refusing any argument that it isn't. It is the habitualillogical and faithbased cherating that the Faithful have to do in order to justify their faith, when what they should honestly do, if it were possible, is to cheerfully admit they have Faith but really no good evidence and accept that someone without any faith in godclaims has no valid reason to be persuaded. But they cannot admit that they have no good reason to believe even though they refute themselves at this basic level, because Faith is the perfect reason to believe and having a good reason dilutes Faith.
For me God is similar as Newton's laws, if things go as the law says, I can believe it.
That is too vague. We can observe the way things go but what is the explanation? Natural physics? Human intervention? Divine intervention? If divine, what or who? Islam has done successfully, Buddhism has survived, Judaism has survived. These people all believe it is their religion explains the way things are, and natural processes explain it better. When you get to explaining why the law doesn't seem to work rather than that it obviously does (intercessionary prayer, for example) then the evidence is you need to look elsewhere for your Law.