Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Why Do YOU Think People Believe in God?

Post #1

Post by Miles »

.... Any god!

"Why do people believe in God? For most people in the world, the answer seems obvious: Because it’s self-evident that God exists. From the point of view of the believer, the really puzzling question is how anyone could not believe.

And yet, as University of California at Irvine psychologist Brett Mercier and his colleagues point out in a recent article, there was once a time in the prehistory of our species when nobody believed in a god of any sort. Our evolutionary ancestors were all atheists, but somewhere along the way they found religion. So we’re back to our original question: Why do people believe in God?"

source

So, why do you think people believe in god?

Miles
Savant

Re: Why Do YOU Think People Believe in God?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Posted so as to give everyone a chance to read the question.

POI
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by POI »

Miles wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:50 pm .

.... Any god!

"Why do people believe in God? For most people in the world, the answer seems obvious: Because it’s self-evident that God exists. From the point of view of the believer, the really puzzling question is how anyone could not believe.

And yet, as University of California at Irvine psychologist Brett Mercier and his colleagues point out in a recent article, there was once a time in the prehistory of our species when nobody believed in a god of any sort. Our evolutionary ancestors were all atheists, but somewhere along the way they found religion. So we’re back to our original question: Why do people believe in God?"

source

Here's my take, quoted from another thread I started a while back:

- Most are god believers, and may always be god believers, due to the topic of (type 1 errors). We all commit them BTW.
- Many are god believers, and may always be god believers, due to the topic of geography.
- Many are god believers, and may always be god believers, due to early indoctrination. - It later becomes difficult to shake this early indoctrinated core belief, even if the evidence later suggests otherwise to this recipient.
- Many are god believers, and may always be god believers, due to the notion of 'experiencing god speaking to them' at one point or many.
- (Please add your reason(s) here if you feel I've missed some key topics)

See the rest for reference, if you wish, at viewtopic.php?t=38846 (It's a lot though!)
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

POI wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:02 pm

.... Any god!

source

Here's my take, quoted from another thread I started a while back:

- Most are god believers, and may always be god believers, due to the topic of (type 1 errors). We all commit them BTW.
- Many are god believers, and may always be god believers, due to the topic of geography.
- Many are god believers, and may always be god believers, due to early indoctrination. - It later becomes difficult to shake this early indoctrinated core belief, even if the evidence later suggests otherwise to this recipient.
- Many are god believers, and may always be god believers, due to the notion of 'experiencing god speaking to them' at one point or many.
- (Please add your reason(s) here if you feel I've missed some key topics)

See the rest for reference, if you wish, at viewtopic.php?t=38846 (It's a lot though!)
Cool!
Great story about the obviously crippled church pastor and his ploy to extricate himself from the "conversation." :approve: Having visited your linked thread, I was surprised by the 350 + entries it generated——it's always nice to have cooperative debaters isn't it. So I thank you for taking the time to stay with the question and bring out some interesting responses. I did read several of the exchanges.

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

.... Any god!

source

I think more interesting question is, why do people believe Brett Merciers claims. Is it just because it fits to their world view?

But, about why people believe in God, I think there can be many reasons. My reasons to believe in Bible God is that life exists, we have the Bible and things go as told in the Bible.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by boatsnguitars »

Miles wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:50 pm So, why do you think people believe in god?
I tend to go with what experts believe when it comes to complex things that I myself don't study in depth.

According to psychologists and sociologists:
1. Evolutionary Advantage: Some psychologists suggest that belief in God may have developed as an evolutionary advantage. For example, the belief in a powerful, all-knowing deity may have helped humans cope with uncertainty and fear, and provided a sense of comfort and security in the face of danger or adversity.

2. Social Identity: Belief in God can be seen as a form of social identity, as it can bring individuals together into religious communities, providing them with a shared sense of purpose, meaning, and belonging.

3. Emotional and Psychological Needs: Psychologists also suggest that belief in God may serve emotional and psychological needs. For example, belief in a loving God who cares about us and will protect us can provide comfort and support during difficult times.

4. Cognitive Processes: Some psychologists suggest that belief in God may be the result of cognitive processes, such as attribution and confirmation biases. For example, people may attribute positive events to God and negative events to chance or other factors, which can reinforce their belief in a higher power.

5. Cultural Transmission: Sociologists suggest that belief in God may be transmitted culturally through socialization, education, and exposure to religious institutions and practices.

According to Neuroscientists.
1. Brain regions involved in belief: Several studies have found that certain brain regions, such as the anterior cingulate cortex and the ventromedial prefrontal cortex, are involved in religious belief and spiritual experiences. These regions are also involved in various other cognitive processes, such as decision-making, emotion regulation, and social cognition.

2. Neurotransmitters and hormones: Studies have also found that neurotransmitters and hormones, such as dopamine, oxytocin, and serotonin, may play a role in religious experiences and belief in God. These chemicals are involved in various aspects of reward processing, social bonding, and emotional regulation.

3. Evolutionary basis: Some neuroscientists suggest that the human brain may have evolved to be receptive to religious and spiritual experiences. For example, the brain may have developed a "hyperactive agency detection device" that makes us prone to perceive agents (such as God or spirits) behind events that have no obvious cause.

4. Cultural learning: Neuroscientists also recognize that belief in God and religious practices are shaped by cultural learning, and that the brain can adapt and change in response to cultural input.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #7

Post by TRANSPONDER »

It's actually Two questions:

Why do people believe in gods? Because they are quick and easy answers to difficult questions, but there's more. The belief becomes a thing in itself, even if it isn't needed to explain anything, much. It becomes more the opinion of the individual, group and even nation and they must fight and if necessary, kill, for it.

The other question is, why God - the particular god of their own opinion, group and country; often in the reverse order as they will change churches if it doesn't fit with their opinion, which they think is the opinion of the God in their head, which is of course, just their own head? We know that one, better than the expostulation that: " ..no..it is true..." They were taught it, they were indoctrinated into it. We know this as we know the sun shines: people in a particular country believe the god and religion of that country.

We know this as we know a patient recovers because of the medical work, but still the faithful still insist that their god and religion gets the credit. .

Hawkins
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Hawkins »

.... Any god!

The reason is many fold. One is that they perceive that a God must exist. The second is the spiritual realm is active as someone (angelic beings) casts influence onto humans, thus subconsciously humans perceive the existence of such a realm.

bjs1
Sage

Post #9

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

Most people believe whatever they believe because it works for them. If a person believes in Jesus Christ, or in psychics, or if he lacks belief in any spiritual reality, then it is because that worldview works for him. It provides a coherent structure to understand and live in the world.

As a side note, Mercier’s claim that there was a time when our species had no religious belief appears to be an assumption based on his own bias. I’m not saying that’s bad, just that there is no evidence it is true outside of wanting it to be true.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:47 am

.... Any god!

source

I think more interesting question is, why do people believe Brett Merciers claims. Is it just because it fits to their world view?
Perhaps it's because he's a postdoctoral researcher in social psychology at the University of Toronto with 19 publications, 522 citations, and 37,423 readers.

But, about why people believe in God, I think there can be many reasons. My reasons to believe in Bible God is that life exists, . . .
So you mean that if life (you in particular) didn't exist you wouldn't believe in god? ;)

we have the Bible and things go as told in the Bible.
So you believe in "Bible God" because of the yarns the Bible tells? Yarns such as the Exodus and the story of the ark? I ask because outside the Bible, there's not a single report of there ever having been an Exodus from Egypt. In fact:

"The Exodus (Hebrew: יציאת מצרים, Yeẓi’at Miẓrayim: lit. 'Departure from Egypt') is the founding myth of the Israelites"
[my emphasis] source: Wikipedia.

Then there's the story about an ark which supposedly housed and fed some 22 million individuals [1 male and 1 female of most of the 11.3 million species on Earth*] for what, a whole year??? Get real Bible people.

source