Did Jesus Care About Leaving Evidence?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Did Jesus Care About Leaving Evidence?

Post #1

Post by POI »

As the title suggests, did Jesus even care if he left behind sufficient evidence for his risen self?

Seems as though we have a potential 'dichotomy' going here.... (either/or)?

For Debate:

A) Was Jesus pleased with the evidence he left behind, as suitable for belief in him?
B) Or, did he maybe instead want to leave the evidence lacking, sketchy, and/or easily dismissible/debatable, in favor of faith?
c) Third, fourth, fifth options are welcome?

Please explain your rationale. Thank you!
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Miles
Savant

Re: Did Jesus Care About Leaving Evidence?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

POI wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:10 pm As the title suggests, did Jesus even care if he left behind sufficient evidence for his risen self?

Seems as though we have a potential 'dichotomy' going here.... (either/or)?

For Debate:

A) Was Jesus pleased with the evidence he left behind, as suitable for belief in him?
B) Or, did he maybe instead want to leave the evidence lacking, sketchy, and/or easily dismissible/debatable, in favor of faith?

Assuming JC was a supernatural character I'll pick:
Presuming he had a good grasp of human nature, that it was gullible, needy, and generally unsophisticated, my guess is that he found the evidence quite suitable. Particularly knowing faith was waiting in the wings to fill in where ever needed.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JoeyKnothead »

POI wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:10 pm As the title suggests, did Jesus even care if he left behind sufficient evidence for his risen self?
"Sufficient" being the operative word. It's too subjective a term to lock down any firm conclusions.
For Debate:

I'm unaware of any evidence beyond the quality of hearsay -at best- for drawing conclusions here.

As for me, evidence indicates he left sufficient evidence for plenty folks to become promoters of his, but not enough they'd actually follow his teachings.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

POI
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by POI »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:43 am
"Sufficient" being the operative word. It's too subjective a term to lock down any firm conclusions.
I guess I would mean, that Jesus felt he left sufficient evidence for all. And the ones who claim they don't have enough/other, are either stupid, lying, or being blocked by evil.

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

He left his words that still remain after 2000 years. I don't think we could have a better evidence.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:17 am
He left his words that still remain after 2000 years. I don't think we could have a better evidence.

I'm pretty sure none of them are actually his words.I have reason to think so, though not conclusive proof, but enough that your claim, admittedly widely accepted, is not one I accept. I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

POI
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by POI »

This does not address the question. Does Jesus feel he left sufficient evidence for anyone to believe he rose from a grave? If so, why do so many not feel there exists sufficient evidence to believe this claim?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

POI wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:35 pm
This does not address the question. Does Jesus feel he left sufficient evidence for anyone to believe he rose from a grave? If so, why do so many not feel there exists sufficient evidence to believe this claim?
I suppose, if I wore my theist hat, I'd say "You can't leave obvious proof, otherwise you would have no value in having Faith". But what an extraordinary condition for being saved from Sins - Having Faith. Christians know this as they keep acting and talking like Good Deeds are the key to being saved, and yet another elephant in an overcrowded debating - room is that Jesusfaith, not Good Deeds is the condition for being saved, and they know this, but pretend to themselves, or at least anyone they can fool, that it is Good deeds that saves, when specifically, it isn't.

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

But that doesn't go to the issue of his sentiment. The questions were,

"Did Jesus care about leaving sufficient evidence?" and

"Was Jesus pleased with the evidence he left behind, as suitable for belief in him?"

OOPS! I see you already addressed the point, POI. Oh well. :oops:

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by JoeyKnothead »

POI wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:07 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:43 am
I guess I would mean, that Jesus felt he left sufficient evidence for all. And the ones who claim they don't have enough/other, are either stupid, lying, or being blocked by evil.
If I can figure out religious belief is built on ether, what does that say about those theists who ain't stupid?

It is kind of amusing how some carry on about "the great deceiver", then think they ain't the ones being deceived.

On evil, God.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin