Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

When the Soap Opera Star beat WLC in debate

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

What do you think? Did Scott win the day? Kinda like Rocky, he didn't need to win, just make a good show of it. Personally, I think he won, but i'd like to know your impression.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: When the Soap Opera Star beat WLC in debate

Post #31

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:32 pm How many of you live as if nothing can be a cause?

That is the point. It hardly matters to debate the issue beyond that if your actions agree with me even though your words do not.
I don't live as if nothing has a cause, nor do I live as if a magic man in the sky is the cause of something.

Where I don't know a cause, I fess to not knowing.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Post #32

Post by brunumb »

Wootah wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:46 am A first cause doesn't need a cause of course.
What if your God isn't the first cause? Your God may have been caused despite any unwarranted attributes you may have given it.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Wootah
Savant

Post #33

Post by Wootah »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:47 pm
Wootah wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:32 pm How many of you live as if nothing can be a cause?

That is the point. It hardly matters to debate the issue beyond that if your actions agree with me even though your words do not.
I don't live as if nothing has a cause, nor do I live as if a magic man in the sky is the cause of something.

Right. Do you fess up and stop looking or do you fess up and keep looking?

In science we rely on cause and effect. It is the bedrock belief that got us so much materially speaking.

So would you expect a day for scientists to not look for causes?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #34

Post by Wootah »

brunumb wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:12 pm
Wootah wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:46 am A first cause doesn't need a cause of course.
What if your God isn't the first cause? Your God may have been caused despite any unwarranted attributes you may have given it.
Are you conceding this step and moving on in the argument or not?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:13 pm Right. Do you fess up and stop looking or do you fess up and keep looking?
Yes and no. My time and intelligence limit my ability to chase down every question. But in the broader sense, we should not stop.
In science we rely on cause and effect. It is the bedrock belief that got us so much materially speaking.

I'd expect scientists to continue looking for causes, and preachers to continue looking for parishioners.

"Goddidit" solves nothing, except perhaps one's discomfort about not knowing a given cause
-Punkinhead Martin

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #36

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Wootah wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:13 pm

It is science that 'doesn't know' (yet) that keeps looking the God - Believer has stopped looking, because they already Know - on Faith. You should Fess up that this is obviously and demonstrably the situation.

Wootah
Savant

Post #37

Post by Wootah »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:10 pm

It is science that 'doesn't know' (yet) that keeps looking the God - Believer has stopped looking, because they already Know - on Faith. You should Fess up that this is obviously and demonstrably the situation.
OK let's agree that ad hominems equate to losing the debate and move on.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #38

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Wootah wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:18 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:10 pm

OK let's agree that ad hominems equate to losing the debate and move on.
Ok - if you want to admit that you lost as in pointing the finger, you are doing the 'ad Hom' since I was doing no more than pointing out that science with a 'don't know' is still looking while the Believers with 'God (which is what they mean by First Cause) aren't looking because they Know the answer on faith.

That is straightening out wrong argument, not being personal. And you can now fess up to both or do your personal cred some severe damage, and that of the faith you are preaching.

Wootah
Savant

Post #39

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #38]

Science comes from the Christian worldview. In short, Enlightenment is post Christian and mostly Christian and the belief we can have the good stuff without God. French revolution, communism, facism, ww1 ww2 want a word with you.

But do you live as if something can come from nothing?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #40

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:19 pm [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #38]
Science comes from the Christian worldview.
Ask Newton about that.
In short, Enlightenment is post Christian and mostly Christian and the belief we can have the good stuff without God. French revolution, communism, facism, ww1 ww2 want a word with you.
WWII was the caused by German Christians seeking to wipe the Jews off the face of the planet.
But do you live as if something can come from nothing?
I live as if given the chance, the extremist Christians will seek to impose a new dark age wherever they rule. See current red states.

From what comes God?
-Punkinhead Martin