Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

oldbadger
Guru

Protection of children in schools, USA

Post #1

Post by oldbadger »

This my question:-

I've heard about many mass shootings in US schools over recent years.
Assuming that nothing is going to change about gun law at all, does anybody have any positive suggestions for the reduction and deterring of such outrages?

I think that to employ security officers is a good idea if their training, duties, patrols and inspections can be sorted out.
I think that more effective perimeter security could help.
I think that more effective access control would help.

But members...please! What do you think might reduce these mass murders and increase child safety?

NB:- There's not point in arguing for gun controls, because even if guns controls happen, this country is so full of guns that anybody is going to be able to acquire a gun for many decades to come.

So.... does any body have any ideas to offer?

Thank you.

oldbadger
Guru

Re: Protection of children in schools, USA

Post #41

Post by oldbadger »

Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:00 pm
Apparently you missed the "inadequate on their own" part. Again, the fanciest security system in the world isn't going to stop an attacker who simply waits outside.
Working with your illogic, schools might just as well be open places....... why have any security at all in the day? :lol:
It's good to keep an attacker from seeing in, but what good is it going to do once you're out?
With that very strange idea, no need to lock your door at night........ your enemy could get you as you walk to your car in the morning?
More comical hyperbole.
Not so! Many mass shootings do in fact take place outside in the US, and there are over one hundred gun deaths each day as well. This has been the case for many years. But America has done nothing about it and so to figure out any ways to increase safety and security is not a bad idea. If former President Trump regains power next year (and he could) then your dreams of any kind of gun control are over for another four years, so it might be an idea to think of how to give children better protection in the meantime, until you finally get some law or other passed.
Clearing the country of access to the worst of them, and keeping all of them away from those who shouldn't have them. There is absolutely nothing "extremist" in that.
You have got a very extreme focus whereby you dismiss anything which might protect children (and all people) more.
Sadly, there are those you remind me of as well----those who think we should accept the threat of gun violence as "a hazard we all have to live with" or "the price of freedom". Living in freedom includes living in freedom from fear, and we're not living free from fear as long as we spend our lives scurrying from one steel-reinforced hiding place to another, hoping not to be cut down along the way.
Fear? Oh yes! If we lived in the USA I would be very worried about my wife's safety and security....I would! In fact, until new gun laws might reduce the hundreds of millions of guns out there, I might like her to have the training, licence and handgun herself. Oh.... and some decent security at home and in car.

I fully expect that similar debates about gun-laws will be continuing in ten or twenty years, and so until then, maybe it would be a good idea to have some better school safety and security? I think that would be a great idea.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Protection of children in schools, USA

Post #42

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to oldbadger in post #41
Working with your illogic, schools might just as well be open places....... why have any security at all in the day? :lol:

With that very strange idea, no need to lock your door at night........ your enemy could get you as you walk to your car in the morning?
From comical hyperboly to a slippery slope.

Really, this "if-you-believe-in-gun-control-you-don't-believe-in-security" nonsequitur of yours is getting tiresome.
Many mass shootings do in fact take place outside in the US, and there are over one hundred gun deaths each day as well.
.....and it's utter foolishness to assume that all the armed guards, metal detectors and shatterproof windows in the world are going to protect us everywhere we go. We can't just turn down the volume; the ultimate solution is to pull out the plug.
If former President Trump regains power next year (and he could)
A recent 37-count indictment makes that less likely.
then your dreams of any kind of gun control are over for another four years
I've already indicated how individual states are taking action.
You have got a very extreme focus whereby you dismiss anything which might protect children (and all people) more.
And you continue to twist and misrepresent what I'm saying. What I dismiss is the sole reliance on security measures which have their own built-in INsecurities.
If we lived in the USA I would be very worried about my wife's safety and security....I would! In fact, until new gun laws might reduce the hundreds of millions of guns out there, I might like her to have the training, licence and handgun herself.
No disrepect to your dear wife, but considering the number of people who've been mistakenly shot by good guys with guns, that wouldn't make me feel safer.