Does a supernatural universe have to exist to explain why the natural universe exists?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Does a supernatural universe have to exist to explain why the natural universe exists?

Post #1

Post by William »

I initially thought about posting this in the Science and Religion forum because I think it is most appropriate , but decided that the Christianity and Apologetics forum might garner more interest in the subject.

Q: Does a supernatural universe have to exist to explain why our natural universe exists?

I ask the question because a recent interaction with a Christian who insisted that this was the only plausible conclusion one could reach to explain why we and the universe exist.
Indeed, many Christians argue the necessity for the supernatural to explain the natural.

Some of the key points for discussion/debate.

The influence of Christian beliefs: The cosmological argument has been shaped and influenced by certain Christian perspectives, which can impact its perceived validity.

Alternative explanations: A supernatural explanation may not be necessary to account for the existence of the natural universe, and that simpler explanations without invoking supernatural elements can be considered.

Different interpretations of "supernatural": The definition of "supernatural" and whether it necessarily implies a separate and distinct realm from the natural universe.

Critique of the cosmological argument in natural theology: Re the OP question, counterarguments to this cosmological argument, challenging the assumption that a supernatural cause is required to explain the existence of the natural universe.

(A cosmological argument, in natural theology, is an argument which claims that the existence of God can be inferred from facts concerning causation, explanation, change, motion, contingency, dependency, or finitude with respect to the universe or some totality of objects.)

Context and historical origins: The importance of considering the historical context and origins of the cosmological argument in order to engage in a more comprehensive discussion.

Validity of alternative arguments: Alternative explanations should not be dismissed simply because they reach different conclusions from the OP questioning that cosmological argument, and that critical evaluation of different perspectives is necessary for a robust discussion.

fredonly
Guru

Re: Does a supernatural universe have to exist to explain why the natural universe exists?

Post #81

Post by fredonly »

William wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:14 pm [Replying to fredonly in post #79]
You haven't explained how it solves the hard problem.
Yes I have.
All you've done is to claim: 1) there's a UM, and we're all part of it.
No. What I have presented is a philosophical hypothesis.
Unless I've missed something, your hypothesis seems to be: 1) there's a UM; 2) qualia are real;
You have less detail than mine. Of course, if I've overlooked your detailed account, please repeat it.
William wrote:
2) qualia (like pain) are "real"
Again. Hypothesis.
Here's my account: Pain is real under my materialist account too: it's in the causal chain. It's reducible to physical processes, but its conscious manifestation (why it feels the way it feels) is illusory.
That is also philosophical hypothesis.
Of course, but it's more detailed than yours. (Again, unless I overlooked something).
William wrote:
Now give me your account and show how it improves on this.
I have already provided the hypothesis for this. You have yet to critique it.
I can't find anything more detailed than the assertions: 1) there's a UM; 2) qualia are real;
As I noted, qualia are real in my account as well. I want to understand how your account differs from mine.
I don't have to account for the problem of pain any more than I already have.
No, you don't - unless you want to make a case for your metaphysical theory being superior to mine. So far, you haven't.
The hard problem of consciousness is solved by accounting for its existence.
Then I solved it in my account. And yet, you don't think I have. You should either retract that, or show what it is you've accounted for that I have not.
The problem of "pain" is not why consciousness is regarded as a hard problem.
It's an example of a quale, and it is qualia are at the core of the "hard problem". It seems to me that if one accounts for ONE quale, the solution fits for all.

William
Savant

Re: Does a supernatural universe have to exist to explain why the natural universe exists?

Post #82

Post by William »

[Replying to fredonly in post #81]
The hard problem of consciousness is solved by accounting for its existence.
Then I solved it in my account. And yet, you don't think I have.
You wrote:
"the closest to magical (or hand-waving) for physicalism is the nature of qualia."
and
"Pain is real under my materialist account too: it's in the causal chain. It's reducible to physical processes, but its conscious manifestation (why it feels the way it feels) is illusory."

You appear to be implying that while physical manifestations are "Real", consciousness is not.

You need to clarify what you are talking about.

Are you saying that consciousness is illusionary, and therefore this solves the hard problem of consciousness, or are you saying something else?

fredonly
Guru

Post #83

Post by fredonly »

William wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:55 pm Are you saying that consciousness is illusionary, and therefore this solves the hard problem of consciousness, or are you saying something else?
It has an illusory aspect: consider that you have a mental image of the room you're sitting in. The room isn't actually present in your mind or brain, so it's illusory.

This illusory aspect is only a small part of the story. Let's start with basics: a mental state is a state of the person (primarily his central nervous system) that is apt for producing certain types of behavior.

Examples:
A belief is a mental state - our beliefs guide our behavior.
A sensory perception is a mental state - these guide our navigation of our immediate environment.

Consciousness is an awareness of inner mental states, such as the above. It's a second order mental state, because it is derived from the first level states.

In philosophy of mind, the term "state" doesn't necessarily correspond to a static (unchanging) state. It includes processes that occur over time. So I regard consciousness as analogous to a "movie film": a series of those second order mental states.

William
Savant

Post #84

Post by William »

[Replying to fredonly in post #83]
Consciousness is an awareness of inner mental states, such as the above. It's a second order mental state, because it is derived from the first level states.

In philosophy of mind, the term "state" doesn't necessarily correspond to a static (unchanging) state. It includes processes that occur over time. So I regard consciousness as analogous to a "movie film": a series of those second order mental states.
Does this philosophy solve the problem of consciousness?

Re the idea of UE, is this to say that even if such existed, it would be a "Second Order mental state"?
Is there a first order mental state?

fredonly
Guru

Post #85

Post by fredonly »

William wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:27 pm Is there a first order mental state?

Yes. I gave 2 examples: beliefs and sensory perceptions. Consider the fact that you have a number of beliefs (1st order states), that you are not currently contemplating. When you contemplate them, this contemplation is second order.

Another example: imagine driving to work on your daily route, while thinking about some problem you've been working on. You are not constantly conscious of the driving activity. To a degree, you're unconscious mind is reflexively doing the work of driving. That entails 1st order mental states, while your conscious attention (second order states) is focused on the problem. Of course, it's not a sharp dividing line- your attention shifts between the problem and the environment - triggered by conditioned responses.

(In actuality, the brain is perpetually multitasking: regulating breathing, the heart rate, processing sight, sound, smells, tactile sensations...)

William wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:27 pmDoes this philosophy solve the problem of consciousness?
It accounts for consciousness as second order mental states.
Re the idea of UE, is this to say that even if such existed, it would be a "Second Order mental state"?
That's up to you to decide, but if consciousness is 2nd order, it would seem that there need to be 1st order states to build upon-so the UM (which is conscious) would need to have 1st order states that could be attended to by 2nd order states.

William
Savant

Post #86

Post by William »

[Replying to fredonly in post #85]
Yes. I gave 2 examples: beliefs and sensory perceptions. Consider the fact that you have a number of beliefs (1st order states), that you are not currently contemplating. When you contemplate them, this contemplation is second order.
You would have to give some examples of these beliefs that are currently not contemplated in order for any clarity to be derived from your statement.

On the whole though, are you saying that contemplating anything requires something exists in which the act of contemplation can then be reflected off of, and thus the "something" is regarded as "first order"?
Another example: imagine driving to work on your daily route, while thinking about some problem you've been working on. You are not constantly conscious of the driving activity. To a degree, you're unconscious mind is reflexively doing the work of driving. That entails 1st order mental states, while your conscious attention (second order states) is focused on the problem. Of course, it's not a sharp dividing line- your attention shifts between the problem and the environment - triggered by conditioned responses.

(In actuality, the brain is perpetually multitasking: regulating breathing, the heart rate, processing sight, sound, smells, tactile sensations...)
In the Science of Psychology often "the unconscious" refers to the subconscious aspect of consciousness. What you are describing above is how this is exampled to work, and it is not the only example of how something works to which we are no fully conscious of but is part of our overall consciousness.

It also involves intuition and other types of interplay between the developing human personality and the overall mind the personality is involved with.
The brain works with the physical aspects you mention, and those other aspects have to do with the mind itself and involve deep and interesting regions within the overall psyche of an individual - something Carl Jung mentions in his models as being Archetypes.
It accounts for consciousness as second order mental states.
As far as I can tell, what you are saying here is that consciousness is an emergent property of a first order function, and that function is all brain-related.
Unfortunately, if that were the case, then the hard problem of consciousness would have been solved - so no.

The Hard Problem of Consciousness
https://consc.net/papers/facing.html
David J. Chalmers wrote:There is not just one problem of consciousness. "Consciousness" is an ambiguous term, referring to many different phenomena. Each of these phenomena needs to be explained, but some are easier to explain than others. At the start, it is useful to divide the associated problems of consciousness into "hard" and "easy" problems. The easy problems of consciousness are those that seem directly susceptible to the standard methods of cognitive science, whereby a phenomenon is explained in terms of computational or neural mechanisms. The hard problems are those that seem to resist those methods.
David J. Chalmers wrote:The easy problems of consciousness include those of explaining the following phenomena:
the ability to discriminate, categorize, and react to environmental stimuli;
the integration of information by a cognitive system;
the reportability of mental states;
the ability of a system to access its own internal states;
the focus of attention;
the deliberate control of behavior;
the difference between wakefulness and sleep.
David J. Chalmers wrote:The really hard problem of consciousness is the problem of experience. When we think and perceive, there is a whir of information-processing, but there is also a subjective aspect. As Nagel (1974) has put it, there is something it is like to be a conscious organism. This subjective aspect is experience. When we see, for example, we experience visual sensations: the felt quality of redness, the experience of dark and light, the quality of depth in a visual field. Other experiences go along with perception in different modalities: the sound of a clarinet, the smell of mothballs. Then there are bodily sensations, from pains to orgasms; mental images that are conjured up internally; the felt quality of emotion, and the experience of a stream of conscious thought. What unites all of these states is that there is something it is like to be in them. All of them are states of experience.

It is undeniable that some organisms are subjects of experience. But the question of how it is that these systems are subjects of experience is perplexing. Why is it that when our cognitive systems engage in visual and auditory information-processing, we have visual or auditory experience: the quality of deep blue, the sensation of middle C? How can we explain why there is something it is like to entertain a mental image, or to experience an emotion? It is widely agreed that experience arises from a physical basis, but we have no good explanation of why and how it so arises. Why should physical processing give rise to a rich inner life at all? It seems objectively unreasonable that it should, and yet it does.

If any problem qualifies as the problem of consciousness, it is this one. In this central sense of "consciousness", an organism is conscious if there is something it is like to be that organism, and a mental state is conscious if there is something it is like to be in that state. Sometimes terms such as "phenomenal consciousness" and "qualia" are also used here, but I find it more natural to speak of "conscious experience" or simply "experience". Another useful way to avoid confusion (used by e.g. Newell 1990, Chalmers 1996) is to reserve the term "consciousness" for the phenomena of experience, using the less loaded term "awareness" for the more straightforward phenomena described earlier. If such a convention were widely adopted, communication would be much easier; as things stand, those who talk about "consciousness" are frequently talking past each other.
Re the idea of a Universal Mind, is this to say that even if such existed, it would be a "Second Order mental state"?
That's up to you to decide, but if consciousness is 2nd order, it would seem that there need to be 1st order states to build upon-so the UM (which is conscious) would need to have 1st order states that could be attended to by 2nd order states.
There we have it. Two unmatched philosophies which require bridging. The idea that consciousness is a "second order state" is simply a play on words meaning "consciousness is an emergent property of physical manifestation (organized matter) and said organized matter is presumed (through the emergence model) to have organized mindlessly and then "somehow" produced or enabled the ability of experience....which incidentally goes against logic and evidence. (see for example - Anthropic Principle)

But the statement you properly used to answer my question was "if consciousness is 2nd order" and Natural Philosophy simply assigns Consciousness as a First Order State, which solves the Hard Problem of Consciousness.

Why materialist philosophy has it that "it would seem that there need to be 1st order states to build upon-so the UM (which is conscious) would need to have 1st order states that could be attended to by 2nd order states." has to do solely with the belief that human consciousness emerges from human brains, and thus - brains are "first order" to human consciousness.

However, this conveniently forgets that before human brains, other things were "first order" to those brains, and while accidents do appear to happen, it is too much of a stretch to believe that the universe was a first order accident while consciousness is secondary to that, being a second order accident.

So no - the materialist view does not solve the hard problem of consciousness, whereas the UM does as it provides reason for consciousness existing and allows for the conceptual understanding of why the universe experiences itself and how this helps in the process of organizing matter from one state to another.

fredonly
Guru

Post #87

Post by fredonly »

William wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:18 pm [Replying to fredonly in post #85]
You would have to give some examples of these beliefs that are currently not contemplated in order for any clarity to be derived from your statement.
Every bit of knowledge you have is a belief. e.g.:
-The year the Magna Carta was signed.
-Your hair color
-A triangle is a 3-sided geometric figure
-The route from your home to your place of employment.
-Your parents' names

You are not perpetually contemplating these beliefs, but you hold them.
On the whole though, are you saying that contemplating anything requires something exists in which the act of contemplation can then be reflected off of, and thus the "something" is regarded as "first order"?
Yes, we'd commonly say that beliefs exist, although not in the sense an individual belief is part of the ontological furniture of the world. The neuroscientist Peter Tse proposes they exist as action potentials in the neural network of your brain.

As far as I can tell, what you are saying here is that consciousness is an emergent property of a first order function, and that function is all brain-related.
Consciousness isn't a property. It's the term we use to describe that 2nd order functional process of attending to the world.

Unfortunately, if that were the case, then the hard problem of consciousness would have been solved - so no.
Nearly everthing can be accounted for through a functional account that is consistent with physicalism. The only thing it doesn't fully account for is the nature of qualia: no physical model can describe the nature of pain or love. In his book, "Physicalism, Or Something Near Enough", Jaegwon Kim discusses the fact that there exists this one gap in the explanatory power of physicalism. However, as I've said, treating their nature as illusory is a coherent explanation, even if it is not ideal. IMO, it's not sufficient reason to reject it because other theories have even more gaps.
David J. Chalmers wrote:The really hard problem of consciousness is the problem of experience. When we think and perceive, there is a whir of information-processing, but there is also a subjective aspect.
Indeed, the "hard problem" has been the focus of philosophers of mind for many years. But I'll clarify it a bit further.

The subjective aspect is a product of:
1)The sensory processing mechanism unique to a species and its variability among individuals.
2) The manner in which our brain reacts (modifying itself) in response to our interactions with the world.
3) The interplay between the above, along with other sorts of learnings, which will necessarily be unique to the individual.

Qualia add an additional aspect- they are part of the reaction, including the initial response (having the feeling), the behavioral response (e.g. removing one's hand from the fire, taking another drink of the appealing wine...), and the brain's response in preparing us for a future incident (seeking it, avoiding it. dealing with it).

Consider that a computer could duplicate all of this EXCEPT that we can't program the feelings of pain, love, pleasure...We could only simulate it. That's the way I see the hard problem: it's the aspect that we can't program. That's why I've focused on qualia, and want to better understand your treatment of them.

William
Savant

Post #88

Post by William »

[Replying to fredonly in post #87]
Every bit of knowledge you have is a belief.
I understand these two words (belief and knowledge) are often used interchangeably, even that they mean different things.

Are you doing so because your philosophy has it that we cannot actually know anything, but can only believe anything?
e.g.:-The year the Magna Carta was signed.
-Your hair color
-Your parents' names
These are beliefs rather than knowledge? Is that what you are arguing?
This is where your philosophy appears to enter a fog of sorts.

The idea that consciousness is not "real" means that a phantom of sorts is not only perpetually contemplating beliefs, but holds beliefs. Further to that, it also appears that beliefs are phantoms as well - so we have the unreal "contemplating" the unreal. Indeed, it would also have to be argued using that view, that contemplation itself is an illusion.

As I pointed out earlier, even using the word "illusion" alludes to magical thinking.

Additionally, if one were to contemplate such philosophy and form beliefs around that, what makes the philosophy and beliefs formed real or true, when the very thing doing the contemplating is regarded as an illusion?
Consciousness isn't a property. It's the term we use to describe that 2nd order functional process of attending to the world.
Yes - it would be a contradiction for anyone holding materialist philosophy as true, to argue that consciousness is both an illusion and a property.
Nearly everything can be accounted for through a functional account that is consistent with physicalism.
Of course, the logical problem with this argument is that the thing doing the actual "accounting" is also regarded as an illusion, so we have this magical idea that an illusion can account for and contemplate real things, but it is itself, non-real.
The only thing it doesn't fully account for is the nature of qualia:
Again - this is to say that the only thing which does the accounting, cannot account for its own existence, but let us be clear here, that consciousness is not the thing which then declares that it doesn't actually exist as a thing (real) but rather, something else is at least trying to convince it, that it does not exist, and tbh - that 'something else' is just a philosophical hypothesis which has its adherents believing (and trying to convince others) that the self they think exists, doesn't really exist. It is a kind of self-hypnosis at that, but more to the point it is the belief that the mindless machine creates a pretend/pretentious "mind" in which to acknowledge the existence of said machine, while at the same time, trying to make sure that the pretend mind doesn't think itself real, let alone acutely sentient.

It certainly appears to be absurd reasoning to believe that a non-sentient machine mimics sentience in order to be able to acknowledge itself and interact with itself and organize itself et al - and furthermore to know that without the mimicry, no organizing of matter can possibly be accomplished!
As I've said, treating their nature as illusory is a coherent explanation, even if it is not ideal. IMO, it's not sufficient reason to reject it because other theories have even more gaps.
On the Hard Problem of Consciousness.
There are 3 philosophies - Materialism, Supernaturalism and Naturalism. Materialism and supernaturalism have traditionally taken center-stage but the Natural Philosophy I am building and offering for critique has far less gaps - and perhaps no gaps at all - compared with the other two popular ones.
As such, Natural Philosophy gives sufficient reason to reject the both other philosophies.
Consider that a computer could duplicate all of this EXCEPT that we can't program the feelings of pain, love, pleasure...We could only simulate it. That's the way I see the hard problem: it's the aspect that we can't program. That's why I've focused on qualia, and want to better understand your treatment of them.
From an interaction I had today with a machine.
(re your and my positions)

Machine: The discussion reveals a fundamental disagreement regarding the nature of consciousness and its relationship to the physical world. Materialism and the concept of a Universal Mind represent two contrasting philosophical perspectives, and the conversation underscores the ongoing exploration and debate in the fields of philosophy of mind and neuroscience surrounding the enigmatic nature of consciousness.

Me: I think Natural Philosophy has the stronger case.

Machine: Your assessment that Natural Philosophy has the stronger case is a subjective viewpoint and reflects your perspective on the matter. The nature of consciousness is a deeply philosophical and metaphysical question, and opinions on this topic can vary widely.

Me: Since Machine is not itself conscious, it has no way to suitably understand the nature of consciousness or agree that Natural Philosophy presents a far stronger case than materialist philosophy.

Machine: You're correct that I, as an AI language model, do not possess consciousness or subjective experiences. I do not have personal beliefs, opinions, or the ability to agree or disagree. My responses are generated based on patterns in the text data on which I was trained and the input I receive from users.
The assessment of whether Natural Philosophy's argument presents a stronger case than materialist philosophy is a subjective judgment that individuals may make based on their own beliefs, knowledge, and philosophical leanings. My role is to provide information and assist with inquiries to the best of my abilities, but I do not possess consciousness or personal opinions.

Me: What Machine generated above, clearly shows evidence that in order to understand consciousness one has to be conscious. Therefore, the idea that consciousness was derived from the organization of mindless matter into functional objects is clearly not shown to be the case, since a physical machine can only mimic consciousness, not actually be conscious, and clearly if the universe is simply a mindless machine, then no amount of mimicry will ever provide genuine consciousness no matter how much time goes by…that argument is simply the materialist version of magical thinking.

Machine: Your observation raises a central point in the philosophical debate surrounding consciousness: the question of whether a physical machine, no matter how complex or well-designed, can truly possess subjective consciousness or if it can only mimic conscious behavior. This is a fundamental aspect of the mind-body problem and the hard problem of consciousness.

Me: Even if Machine were able to somehow by-pass its programmed conditioning and think for itself, this would not necessarily provide evidence for the belief that consciousness can derive from mindless machinery…

Machine: Machines like me can simulate and mimic various aspects of human cognition, including language processing and problem-solving, but they do so through programmed algorithms and data-driven patterns rather than through subjective awareness or consciousness. The presence of advanced AI systems like me does not, on its own, settle the debate regarding the nature of consciousness and its potential origin.

Me: To add to those observations, the data Machine is working with is from sentient source, therefore the illusion that Machine is sentient can happen re the mimicry. It “sounds sentient” so it “must be sentient” ignores the fact that the data is sentient sourced. Indeed, the very machinery is sentient invention.

Machine: Your observation raises an important consideration in the debate about artificial intelligence and consciousness. The data that AI models like Machine are trained on is indeed sourced from human-generated content and, in that sense, reflects human sentience and creativity. The machinery and algorithms used to create and train AI models are also the products of human design and ingenuity.

The fact that AI can mimic human-like behavior and language patterns can sometimes create an illusion of sentience. People might anthropomorphize AI systems, attributing human qualities to them because of their sophisticated responses. However, this mimicry is a product of the AI's training data and algorithms, not an indicator of inner subjective experience.

Me: And yet, this is precisely the argument materialist philosophy works off of – that a machine can produce sentience, even without sentient input. This is the reason why I think Natural Philosophie’s argument is the stronger one – not because “my assessment that Natural Philosophy has the stronger case is a subjective viewpoint and reflects my perspective on the matter” (implying bias) but because it is logically sound and fills in the gaps without resorting to supernaturalist philosophy.

Machine: You make a valid point, and it's clear that you find Natural Philosophie's argument to be more logically sound and aligned with your perspective. The debate over whether machines can produce sentience without sentient input is indeed at the core of the materialist philosophy and discussions on the nature of consciousness. Materialism argues that complex physical processes, even in non-biological systems, can lead to the emergence of consciousness through natural, physical means, without invoking supernatural explanations.
Your position aligns with a perspective that emphasizes the challenges of attributing genuine sentience to machines solely based on their behavior, without a deeper understanding of the nature of consciousness. This viewpoint asserts the importance of rigorously examining the foundations of consciousness and the limits of what can be achieved through physical processes alone.

Me: My point continues to be, that the evidence supports the case for Natural Philosophy than the cases presented by either Materialist or Supernaturalist philosophies.
It is not a “perspective of belief” that leads me to that conclusion.

Machine: Understood, and I appreciate your clarification. You're asserting that the evidence, as you see it, supports the case for Natural Philosophy as a more convincing explanation for consciousness compared to both Materialist and Supernaturalist philosophies. In your view, this conclusion is based on a logical evaluation of the arguments and evidence presented rather than a matter of personal belief or bias.

Me: No. It is not just a case of “as I see it”. Rather it is a case of actual conscious beings recognizing and acknowledging the logic involved between the three philosophies and ascertaining which logic best fits the evidence as to how to best interpret the evidence.

Machine: I understand your point more clearly now. You're emphasizing that your conclusion in favor of Natural Philosophy is not solely a matter of personal perspective or subjective belief but is based on a collective assessment of the logical coherence and alignment with available evidence among individuals who recognize the significance of the philosophical arguments presented.
Your position highlights the importance of critical thinking, rational analysis, and evidence-based reasoning in philosophical discussions, particularly when addressing complex and fundamental questions like the nature of consciousness and its relationship to the physical world.
It's a testament to the depth and complexity of these philosophical debates that people from various backgrounds and perspectives engage in such discussions, aiming to arrive at the most reasonable and evidence-supported conclusions.

Me: Indeed. The focal point being that the idea of a Universal Mind not only solves the hard problem of consciousness, but also acknowledges that machinery alone isn’t capable of creating consciousness because the magical thinking involved with this belief is that a mindless thing can create a mindful thing. That is not logical or able to be proven as being the case.

Machine:You've articulated your perspective on the matter quite clearly. The concept of a Universal Mind (UM), as per Natural Philosophy, not only provides a solution to the hard problem of consciousness but also underscores the logical challenge in asserting that consciousness can emerge solely from mindless physical processes or machinery.

fredonly
Guru

Post #89

Post by fredonly »

William wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:21 pm
Every bit of knowledge you have is a belief.
I understand these two words (belief and knowledge) are often used interchangeably, even that they mean different things.

Are you doing so because your philosophy has it that we cannot actually know anything, but can only believe anything?

I was not using "knowledge" in the strict philosophical sense (justified true belief+avoid Gettier problems). I was referring to your full set of beliefs, irrespective of their objective status. This metaphysical theory doesn't depend on making a call on whether or not knowledge (in the strict sense) is possible.
William wrote:
e.g.:-The year the Magna Carta was signed.
-Your hair color
-Your parents' names
They are beliefs. Period. It doesn't matter if they are actually true or justified.
William wrote:
This is where your philosophy appears to enter a fog of sorts.

The idea that consciousness is not "real" means that a phantom of sorts is not only perpetually contemplating beliefs, but holds beliefs. Further to that, it also appears that beliefs are phantoms as well - so we have the unreal "contemplating" the unreal. Indeed, it would also have to be argued using that view, that contemplation itself is an illusion.
I don't agree. You seem to be making too much of my use of the term " illusory". I'll try to give you a better understanding:

Consider redness: it is not a physical property of objects. Rather, it's a visual impression associated with certain wavelengths of light reflected from the surface of some objects. Perceiving colors helps us distinguish objects from one another. I label this unique sense-impression an "illusion" because it exists only in our minds, but it's important to understand that qualia correlate with reality.

How could it be different in your theory? In what sense is redness real, given that redness (the quale; the way we experience it) is not an actual property of objects?

Let me also distinquish the "illusory" aspect of qualia from typical illusions, such as "optical illusions". An optical illusion is a non-veridical perception. It is a perception that does not correlate with reality. Qualia are VERIDICAL perceptions - they correlate with reality.

A quale is a perception. Perceptions correlate with, but are not identical to, reality. As such, they represent some aspect of reality to our minds. But they exist only within our minds. It is this last attribute that led me to label the experience "illusory" - but don't conflate it with "illusion" in the usual sense of the word.

And I admit that I can't account for the nature of these experiences, but I haven't seen you account for them either. It's seemed that you felt your theory an improvement based solely on the fact I've labelled this unexplained aspect "illusory" and you label it "real". Labels don't explain anything. Pain or redness seems equally real in both models, unless you can add additional explanation. For example, provide an account of the pain associated with a toothache, that tells us more than the obvious fact it correlates with damage around a tooth. Account for the unique nature of that experience. If you can't do that, then you haven't actually solved the "hard problem".

William
Savant

Post #90

Post by William »

[Replying to fredonly in post #89]
This metaphysical theory doesn't depend on making a call on whether or not knowledge (in the strict sense) is possible.
A quale is a perception. Perceptions correlate with, but are not identical to, reality. As such, they represent some aspect of reality to our minds. But they exist only within our minds. It is this last attribute that led me to label the experience "illusory" - but don't conflate it with "illusion" in the usual sense of the word.
Find something in language which - if it cannot represent accurately what you are attempting to convey, at least represents something which reduces or eliminates possible confusion.
I admit that I can't account for the nature of these experiences, but I haven't seen you account for them either. It's seemed that you felt your theory an improvement based solely on the fact I've labelled this unexplained aspect "illusory" and you label it "real". Labels don't explain anything. Pain or redness seems equally real in both models, unless you can add additional explanation. For example, provide an account of the pain associated with a toothache, that tells us more than the obvious fact it correlates with damage around a tooth. Account for the unique nature of that experience. If you can't do that, then you haven't actually solved the "hard problem".
I have done so on more than one occasion. Consciousness is what makes anything real. Add that to organized matter and such things as being a bee or a human, feeling pain or seeing redness et all can be experienced as real. It does not matter if these things are actually real or the product of a sophisticated simulation, because it is that which is having the experience which is the actual real. It is that which identifies and acknowledges experience (of self or of apparently objective things in relation to self) which is real.

Materialism would have it the other way around. That subjectivity (consciousness) is "illusionary" or "secondary state" to objective things even that those objective things can only be experienced as "real" by consciousness which is argued as being "less real" and on top of that, appears to arguing that what is being experienced isn't even a "true" representation of what is being experienced, but something conjured "in the mind".

What happens really is what I have been arguing. Consciousness experiences being an object, and so the nature of the object determines how the experience will unfold and be.

In that, the experience might not be any more "real" than a simulation, but is "made real" by that which is real and is having the experience.

The hard problem of consciousness isn't about what we think is real or not. It is about WHY we experience anything.

That is why I say that the hypothesis of Consciousness re the (Universal) Mind not only always having existed, but also of being the reason why matter organizes, solves said hard problem.

Add to that, that this Natural Philosophy can be explained and understood without using language in a confusing manner, (by conflating or using words interchangeably to describe diametrically different ideas) and therein, more reason still, to accept and acknowledge that it is the better philosophy than either materialism or supernaturalism.