The Logic of Satan's Temptation to Eve

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Skeptical
Apprentice

The Logic of Satan's Temptation to Eve

Post #1

Post by Skeptical »

I was just thinking about this today for the first time. But I was wondering if anyone else has ever thought about the logic of Satan's words and temptation to Eve that I'm about to discuss.

So, Genesis 3:1-5 says...
3 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”

2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’”

4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
So, the thing that I was wondering about is that if Eve was created a perfect individual and who apparently was much smarter than anyone who according to Bible chronology who lives now, 6000 years later, then why didn't she question why God would even place this "tree" in the middle of the garden within reach of Adam and Eve if God didn't want them to eat from it? 🤔

And I know that some Christians have the argument that Adam and Eve were childlike, but there's nowhere in the Bible that says that. Because if anything, one of their God-ordained commands that God gave them before they sinned is found in Genesis 1:28. And procreating is not a command that you give to children. Also, Deuteronomy 32:4 says that...
He is the Rock, his works are perfect

Therefore, I'm not sure how an imperfect person 6 thousand years removed from Adam and Eve could figure that out, but Eve couldn't. 🤔 Any thoughts?
Last edited by Skeptical on Sun May 14, 2023 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Re: The Logic of Satan's Temptation to Eve

Post #11

Post by Skeptical »

1213 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:33 am
Skeptical wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:52 pm ....if Eve was created a perfect individual and who apparently was much smarter than anyone who according to Bible chronology who lives now, 6000 years later, then why didn't she question why God would even place this "tree" in the middle of the garden within reach of Adam and Eve if God didn't want them to eat from it? ...
I don't think Bible tells Eve was perfect.
Well, if they weren't, then God sure did pick two inadequate people to start the human race. And two people who were almost guaranteed to fail and to bequeath the human race that we have today. And all that stuff that Paul writes about concerning the first man who started off without sin is just rubbish.
1213 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:33 am But, I think it is a good question, why didn't they ask, why didn't they question the snake who told the opposite what God had told. I don't know the answer, and I don't think anyone else knows.
The apostle Paul claims to have known. Therefore, unless you are saying that your beliefs are superior to his.
1213 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:33 amMaybe the reason for not asking about the tree from God was that they knew that God had created, or formed things, because God thought it is good.
I'm not sure what you're actually, saying, but it sounds as if you're saying that Eve believed that what the serpent was saying was true and that God had created the tree with magical powers that would have given her special powers of perception.
1213 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:33 amBut, I think it is silly idea to think that there should have been only edible fruits in the garden. Many gardens have plants that can't be eaten and people still are not eating them.
Hmm-mm. :?

William
Savant

Post #12

Post by William »

[Replying to Skeptical in post #6]
The question that needs to be asked first is how the Serpent knew that God knew Good & Evil.
I'm not sure what your belief background is, but I thought that most Christians or former Christians have/had the belief that Satan was the Serpent and was a former angel of God and therefore, knew what Good & Evil was. 🤔
That is a mythology some Christians beleve. Is that mythology what the OP is qestioning?
Secondly, while it is often believed that the Serpent was a snake, and the fruit was an apple, no bible version I have read, appears to say or even imply those things.
That sounds like a non-issue because this is the first time where I've seen that point mentioned.
You are critiquing a bible story, so I don't think it is a non issue as by accounts of the versions I have read, the Serpent is thought to have been transformed into something that seems to discribe a snake.
But that was after Eve had been tempted.

I am being skeptical of the version of the story being told in the OP. Which is why I ask and point out apparent discrepancies.

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by Gracchus »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #7]
If an omniscient deity already knew that those tested were going to pass or fail the test, what is the point of the test? :?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Skeptical wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:32 am ... you're deviating from what I was actually asking in the OP.

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:11 pm WHY DIDN'T GOD JUST PUT THE TREE SOMEWHERE THAT ADAM AND EVE COULD NOT REACH IT?

Because it was a test. What would be the point of devising a test that nobody could take?
Skeptical wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:52 pm... why didn't she question why God would even place this "tree" in the middle of the garden within reach of Adam and Eve if God didn't want them to eat from it?
Skeptical wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:32 am... you're deviating from what I was actually asking in the OP.

I see.

I do believe if anyone feels a post is not relevant you can just scroll on by, most devises have a sliding key that makes this possible. Nobody is obliged to read posts that are not to their liking, but if you do and you feel it violates forum rules you do have the option to report it.

Have an extremely beautiful and wonderful day,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #15

Gracchus wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:58 am [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #7]
If an omniscient deity already knew that those tested were going to pass or fail the test, what is the point of the test?

DID GOD KNOW ADAM AND EVE WOULD SIN?

I do not believe God knew the choices Adam and Eve would make.

RELATED POSTS

Can God use his power of foreknowledge selectively?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 14#p848314

Does the idea of being selective in the use of his powers negate God being "all knowing" in nature ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 68#p849068

Is God OMNISCIENT ?
viewtopic.php?p=1075354#p1075354

Is omnipotence AND omniscient even possible?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 04#p334604

Would God not have to know everything in order to choose what not to know?
viewtopic.php?p=1052893#p1052893

Were Adam and Eve being tested?
viewtopic.php?p=1092256#p1092256

How could a perfect individual sin?
viewtopic.php?p=1121742#p1121742
To learn more please go to other posts related to ....

OMNISCIENCE , OMNIPOTENCE and ...SELECTIVE FOREKNOWLEDGE

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Savant

Post #16

Post by 1213 »

Skeptical wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:47 am
1213 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:33 am But, I think it is a good question, why didn't they ask, why didn't they question the snake who told the opposite what God had told. I don't know the answer, and I don't think anyone else knows.
The apostle Paul claims to have known.
Please show where in the Bible he tells that?
Skeptical wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:47 am
1213 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:33 amMaybe the reason for not asking about the tree from God was that they knew that God had created, or formed things, because God thought it is good.
I'm not sure what you're actually, saying, but it sounds as if you're saying that Eve believed that what the serpent was saying was true and that God had created the tree with magical powers that would have given her special powers of perception.
What I meant is, Bible tells God said "God saw everything that he had made, and, behold, it was very good". Gen. 1:31. Because of that, maybe Adam and Eve thought that is why God created, because it was very good.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

Skeptical wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:32 am
Or in other words, why would God put within reach a magical fruit that would make Adam and Eve gods themselves?

I disagree with the premise that the tree was "magical"; it seems that it was just a fruit tree like any other ; no doubt there were other similar trees throughout the garden from which rhey could have eaten if rhey had a cracing dor that particular flavor of fruit.

Its fruits had no special properties and certainly there is no good reason to believe it was "magical".

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

Okay I think I see the ...deviation now. I dealt with the question ...

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:11 pm WHY DIDN'T GOD JUST PUT THE TREE SOMEWHERE THAT ADAM AND EVE COULD NOT REACH IT? ...
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:43 am
Skeptical wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:32 am ... you're deviating from what I was actually asking in the OP.

But what you really wanted to know is ...
Skeptical wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:32 am

... why would God put [the tree]within reach ...?
I looked at ..."Why didn't God put the tree out of reach ?" .... But you wanted to know "Why did he put the tree within reach?" ie not out of reach.

I see now your accusation of deviation was entirely reasonsble.

Fortunately the answer to your entirely different question is entirely the same...because it was a TEST.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #19

Post by Skeptical »

Gracchus wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:58 am [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #7]
If an omniscient deity already knew that those tested were going to pass or fail the test, what is the point of the test? :?
Good answer.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #20

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:43 am

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:11 pm WHY DIDN'T GOD JUST PUT THE TREE SOMEWHERE THAT ADAM AND EVE COULD NOT REACH IT?

Because it was a test. What would be the point of devising a test that nobody could take?
Skeptical wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:52 pm... why didn't she question why God would even place this "tree" in the middle of the garden within reach of Adam and Eve if God didn't want them to eat from it?
Skeptical wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:32 am... you're deviating from what I was actually asking in the OP.

I see.

I do believe if anyone feels a post is not relevant you can just scroll on by, most devises have a sliding key that makes this possible. Nobody is obliged to read posts that are not to their liking, but if you do and you feel it violates forum rules you do have the option to report it.

Have an extremely beautiful and wonderful day,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
Is that a cop-out? I thought that this was a Bible debate forum. lol 😄