The Logic of Satan's Temptation to Eve

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Skeptical
Apprentice

The Logic of Satan's Temptation to Eve

Post #1

Post by Skeptical »

I was just thinking about this today for the first time. But I was wondering if anyone else has ever thought about the logic of Satan's words and temptation to Eve that I'm about to discuss.

So, Genesis 3:1-5 says...
3 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”

2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’”

4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
So, the thing that I was wondering about is that if Eve was created a perfect individual and who apparently was much smarter than anyone who according to Bible chronology who lives now, 6000 years later, then why didn't she question why God would even place this "tree" in the middle of the garden within reach of Adam and Eve if God didn't want them to eat from it? 🤔

And I know that some Christians have the argument that Adam and Eve were childlike, but there's nowhere in the Bible that says that. Because if anything, one of their God-ordained commands that God gave them before they sinned is found in Genesis 1:28. And procreating is not a command that you give to children. Also, Deuteronomy 32:4 says that...
He is the Rock, his works are perfect

Therefore, I'm not sure how an imperfect person 6 thousand years removed from Adam and Eve could figure that out, but Eve couldn't. 🤔 Any thoughts?
Last edited by Skeptical on Sun May 14, 2023 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Re: The Logic of Satan's Temptation to Eve

Post #31

Post by Skeptical »

bjs1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:09 pm
Nothing in the Bible suggests that Adam and Eve were childlike.

I agree.
bjs1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:09 pm Nor does it suggest that they were much smarter than those who came after them.
Well, I would say that it's just basic extrapolation that if something or someone starts off perfect, but becomes defective and imperfect, then that thing or person and their offspring would be defective and inferior too. Plus, if there's moral decay thrown into the mix, then that would add to the degradation in all kinds of unpredictable ways. (Compare Genesis 5:5 with Psalm 90:10.)
bjs1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:09 pmMy assumption, and it is nothing but an assumption since we have no evidence to go on, is that in terms of intelligence they were of roughly normal human intelligence.
I agree. That is an assumption.
bjs1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:09 pmWe have no way of knowing if Eve questioned why the Tree was there. Maybe she did; maybe she didn’t. We don’t know that detail.
Well, I would say that even a person with average intelligence would have figured out that if God really didn't want us to partake of that particular fruit, then they would have wondered why he would have left the tree out in the open. 🤔 And conversely, it almost sounds as if she was more on the below average intelligence level (if you know what I mean 🤨).
bjs1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:09 pmAs for why God put the Tree in the Garden, again it we can only speculate. Lewis put forth the idea that the Tree was there so that Adam and Eve could experience the joy of willing obedience.

So, they had to have that hanging over their heads for the rest of eternity. In addition, to the caveat of having to DIE if they ever decided to violate that um, "willing" obedience. 😕
bjs1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:09 pmAugustine argued that faith – trusting that God is good and honest and trustworthy – is an inherent part of any relationship with God. Adam and Even could never really know God if they never had the opportunity to trust Him in practice.
Of not eating from an apple tree? That would prove how faithful and trusting a person was in God???? 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 Because keep in mind, the serpent or satan or whatever it was... was not really part of God's original plan.
bjs1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:09 pmBoth seem at least somewhat valid.

Hmph. 😐
bjs1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:09 pmHowever, the Christian understanding of God includes the idea that God rarely does (and never needs to) explain Himself to us. So I don’t have a definitive answer to any question that begins with “Why did God…”
I can't argue with that.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #32

Post by Skeptical »

1213 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:33 am
Skeptical wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:52 pm ....if Eve was created a perfect individual and who apparently was much smarter than anyone who according to Bible chronology who lives now, 6000 years later, then why didn't she question why God would even place this "tree" in the middle of the garden within reach of Adam and Eve if God didn't want them to eat from it? ...
I don't think Bible tells Eve was perfect. But, I think it is a good question, why didn't they ask, why didn't they question the snake who told the opposite what God had told.

But Eve did question the serpent at Genesis 3:2-3. However, she just didn't question the serpent with the right words or questions.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #33

Post by Skeptical »

1213 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:17 pm
Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:00 am
1213 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:39 pm
Please show where in the Bible he tells that?
1 Timothy 2:14 and 2 Corinthians 11:3.
Sorry, maybe I don't understand what you meant with those, but I don't think they tell the answer to the question why didn't they question the serpent.

Adam wasn’t deceived, but the woman, being deceived, has fallen into disobedience;
1 Timothy 2:14

But I am afraid that somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve in his craftiness, so your minds might be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
2 Corinthians 11:3

Those tell Eve was deceived, but not the reason why.
Those look like the wrong verses for what you were asking about. But see my post #32.

Savant

Post #34

Post by 1213 »

Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:42 pm
1213 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:33 am
Skeptical wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:52 pm ....if Eve was created a perfect individual and who apparently was much smarter than anyone who according to Bible chronology who lives now, 6000 years later, then why didn't she question why God would even place this "tree" in the middle of the garden within reach of Adam and Eve if God didn't want them to eat from it? ...
I don't think Bible tells Eve was perfect. But, I think it is a good question, why didn't they ask, why didn't they question the snake who told the opposite what God had told.

But Eve did question the serpent at Genesis 3:2-3. However, she just didn't question the serpent with the right words or questions.
That seems to show that Eve knew what God told, but she didn't question the claims the serpent made.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #35

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Skeptical wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:52 pm... However, she just didn't question the serpent with the right words or questions.
WHY DIDN'T EVE QUESTION THE SERPENT?

Ultimately we cannot be dogmatic as to whether Eve questioned the serpent, it could be we are reading an abridged version of their conversation; the bottom line however is clear, she chose to act in line with the serpents insinuations rather than obey God's clear instructions.

If she did question the serpent the "right" questions would surely have been ...
- who are you? and by what authority do you approach me?
- why should I believe you , a stranger , over my loving heavenly Father that I know?
- why are you implying my Father has withheld something good from me, when up until now he has shown me nothing but love and generosity?
The right words would surely have been ...
I dont know you and whoever you are, I have no reason to believe you really have my best interests at heart. I will therefore consult with my Husband and my Father before making any decision?

JEHOVAH’S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

Why did the serpent approach Eve first?
viewtopic.php?p=1088925#p1088925

Was Eve unaware of the prohibition?
viewtopic.php?p=1089589#p1089589

Was it reasonable that Eve BELIEVE the snake?
viewtopic.php?p=1040358#p1040358
For more details please go to other posts related to...

SATAN THE DEVIL , ADAM , and ... THE DECEPTION OF EVE
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #36

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:06 am
Skeptical wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:52 pm... However, she just didn't question the serpent with the right words or questions.
WHY DIDN'T EVE QUESTION THE SERPENT?

Ultimately we cannot be dogmatic as to whether Eve questioned the serpent, it could be we are reading an abridged version of their conversation; the bottom line however is clear, she chose to act in line with the serpents insinuations rather than obey God's clear instructions.

If she did question the serpent the "right" questions would surely have been ...
- who are you? and by what authority do you approach me?
- why should I believe you , a stranger , over my loving heavenly Father that I know?
- why are you implying my Father has withheld something good from me, when up until now he has shown me nothing but love and generosity?
The right words would surely have been ...
I dont know you and whoever you are, I have no reason to believe you really have my best interests at heart. I will therefore consult with my Husband and my Father before making any decision?

JEHOVAH’S WITNESS
EXACTLY, JEHOVAH’S WITNESS! I agree wholeheartedly with what you said in your post about what Eve should have said. Therefore, what you said proved my argument. 👍 Thank you. 🙂