A Two-Part Question for JWs about Matthew 24:14

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Skeptical
Apprentice

A Two-Part Question for JWs about Matthew 24:14

Post #1

Post by Skeptical »

This question is primarily asked to JWs, but anyone with a Bible-based view may participate in this discussion. But my two-fold question is: According to Matthew 24:14:
14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations,+ and then the end will come.
a) What exactly was the good news of the Kingdom that was preached in the first century CE?
b) Since Jesus was referring to all the inhabited earth during the first century, what "end" was he referring to?

And the reason why I ask these questions is because I understand that JWs have a different interpretation of what the gospel or good news is compared to other Christians. Also, since the inhabited earth during the first century went beyond the Roman province of Judea and the city of Jerusalem, what concern would "the end" be for Christians living in other regions of the inhabited earth? (Colossians 1:23)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: A Two-Part Question for JWs about Matthew 24:14

Post #51

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Skeptical wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:12 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:20 am Was there a part of " thousands of years away from when the earthly class would arrive on the world scene" you are having trouble understanding?
No there is not. ...

Good. Excellent. Well, have a nice day.

RELATED POSTS

Did some of the first century Christians believe the end would come in their lifetime?
viewtopic.php?p=1123559#p1123559
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #52

Post by Skeptical »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:02 am
Skeptical wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:10 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:58 am [Replying to Skeptical in post #41]
Nostradamus made thousands of predictions and very few were near correct. Not from some prophetic knowledge but because of just shear chance. I could write out thousands of scenarios about the next 100 years and sure one or two will be right. Jesus, on the other made only one prediction about the fall of the Jewish system of things and it was correct.

As far as Carl Sagan, you're right, he is making an educated guess. Yet here is what was said about the days we live now in 2 Timothy 3:1-6. 2000 years before Carl.

"But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away."

Today, is seems everything is a crisis. Divisions everywhere, no one wanting to agree on anything. People only lovers of themselves and what they want. People simply hate someone else just for being alive. People that shoot first and ask questions later. People are stubborn and prideful. Meanwhile those that say they are followers of God. Yet when faced with choosing what the Bible says to do and what they want to do, they prove through their actions they are just hypocrites.
Interesting... However, would that imply that those 2 Timothy 3:1-6 societal characteristic didn't exist prior to 2000 years ago?
So you're saying the things Carl Sagan pointed out, did those not exist prior to the 1950s? Is that what he was implying?
So, did you understand Carl Sagan's quote that I posted? Well, here it is again with new fonts:
“Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children’s or grandchildren’s time—when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority. . .
So, do you think that existed back in the 1950s, but on a lesser scale?
when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what’s true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.”
So, was American society becoming more advanced in the 1950s, or were they regressing and going backwards back then?
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:02 am That is not what I got out of it. He was saying that those things would become worse and more widespread as time goes on.

I'm sorry, but no he wasn't.
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:02 am The inspired writer of 2 Timothy was noting the same thing. He wasn't wrong. Even an atheist can see that people are losing their natural affection for others. Becoming more biased than ever, agreeing to nothing. Even looking to religion as new ones pop up every week. Religions wrap themselves up in politics, betray those that they once supported them or they betray one they once supported. They slander each other and bold face lie about themselves. Love of money has lead to denying things that the data shows ruins our planet. Facts are now 'alternative facts'. Did all of these things exist 2000 years ago? Yep. But they were not so intense, widespread, and deadly. If one can't see these things then they avoid the news and their head is in the sand. They say, "Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are continuing exactly as they were from creation’s beginning.” 2 Peter 3:4
Do you know anything about how bad things were back in the first century Roman empire? Do you know what people were going through and why perhaps early Jesus followers thought that the end was upon them back then? (Acts 1:6) And a hint is: Not because life was a picnic back then. 😕

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #53

Post by 2timothy316 »

Skeptical wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:33 am
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:02 am
Skeptical wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:10 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:58 am [Replying to Skeptical in post #41]
Nostradamus made thousands of predictions and very few were near correct. Not from some prophetic knowledge but because of just shear chance. I could write out thousands of scenarios about the next 100 years and sure one or two will be right. Jesus, on the other made only one prediction about the fall of the Jewish system of things and it was correct.

As far as Carl Sagan, you're right, he is making an educated guess. Yet here is what was said about the days we live now in 2 Timothy 3:1-6. 2000 years before Carl.

"But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away."

Today, is seems everything is a crisis. Divisions everywhere, no one wanting to agree on anything. People only lovers of themselves and what they want. People simply hate someone else just for being alive. People that shoot first and ask questions later. People are stubborn and prideful. Meanwhile those that say they are followers of God. Yet when faced with choosing what the Bible says to do and what they want to do, they prove through their actions they are just hypocrites.
Interesting... However, would that imply that those 2 Timothy 3:1-6 societal characteristic didn't exist prior to 2000 years ago?
So you're saying the things Carl Sagan pointed out, did those not exist prior to the 1950s? Is that what he was implying?
So, did you understand Carl Sagan's quote that I posted? Well, here it is again with new fonts:
“Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children’s or grandchildren’s time—when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority. . .
So, do you think that existed back in the 1950s, but on a lesser scale?
when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what’s true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.”
So, was American society becoming more advanced in the 1950s, or were they regressing and going backwards back then?
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:02 am That is not what I got out of it. He was saying that those things would become worse and more widespread as time goes on.

I'm sorry, but no he wasn't.
That is your opinion and you're welcome to it. But he did say words like "when", "decline" and going back. So I get that he was talking about a future time when things will get worse when it comes to ignorance. He wasn't wrong, which I have already said. But whatever floats you boat.
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:02 am The inspired writer of 2 Timothy was noting the same thing. He wasn't wrong. Even an atheist can see that people are losing their natural affection for others. Becoming more biased than ever, agreeing to nothing. Even looking to religion as new ones pop up every week. Religions wrap themselves up in politics, betray those that they once supported them or they betray one they once supported. They slander each other and bold face lie about themselves. Love of money has lead to denying things that the data shows ruins our planet. Facts are now 'alternative facts'. Did all of these things exist 2000 years ago? Yep. But they were not so intense, widespread, and deadly. If one can't see these things then they avoid the news and their head is in the sand. They say, "Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are continuing exactly as they were from creation’s beginning.” 2 Peter 3:4
Do you know anything about how bad things were back in the first century Roman empire? Do you know what people were going through and why perhaps early Jesus followers thought that the end was upon them back then? (Acts 1:6) And a hint is: Not because life was a picnic back then. 😕
I do know how it was back in the first century Roman empire and that would mean something but Paul said, "will be here". He was not talking about the time he was living in but the future. He also said, "for men will be", talking about not just the Roman empire but mankind in general will act like what was written in 2 Tim 3:1 Also, the 'last days' points to a specific period of time that wouldn't come until the first century Christian congregation turned apostate and at the time of Paul's writing that had not happened yet. 2Th 2:3-12.

The Bible was talking about times worse than that of the 1st century and more widespread as I have already said. You're also seem to be talking about quality of life. That is not what 2 Tim 3:1-6 is talking about. Its talking about the attitudes of mankind. How people view themselves and others. How people treat each other on a day to day basis. I've personally seen this decline in my years of life. There are things that people do around me now that were extremely rare or even unheard of 40 years ago. Particularly when it comes to morals: "lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God," has escalated greatly since I was young. The YOLO way of life is the motto for many people today. Which that was the attitude of people in Jerusalem before it was destroyed. Isa 22:13. People more and more people care more about themselves than the morals set by God.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #54

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:14 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:20 am Was there a part of " thousands of years away from when the earthly class would arrive on the world scene" you are having trouble understanding?
No there is not. ...

No problem... Because I'm starting to get used to people dodging questions that they don't want to answer. Therefore, I can now come to the conclusion that you or someone else didn't tell the truth when you mentioned that the first century Jesus followers understood that God's fulfillment of his purpose was referring to paradise earth. Have a nice day. 😄

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #55

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Skeptical wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:33 pm
No there is not. ...

No problem...
Glad to hear it! And please, have a most wonderful evening.

Kind Regards

JEHOVAH’S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #56

Post by Skeptical »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:47 am
The Bible was talking about times worse than that of the 1st century and more widespread as I have already said. [/question]

So, are times worse than that of the first century? Because do you know anything about the way a lot of authorities punished people for crimes? Well, if not, look it up. Because it's gruesome and beyond inhuman and worse than anything that is going on during our time period.
2timothy316 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:47 am You're also seem to be talking about quality of life. That is not what 2 Tim 3:1-6 is talking about.
Nope. I was not talking about the quality of life.
2timothy316 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:47 am Its talking about the attitudes of mankind. How people view themselves and others. How people treat each other on a day to day basis. I've personally seen this decline in my years of life.
All societies decline. Also, it seems like just because life isn't like the tv show "Leave It To Beaver," apologists think that the behavior and attitudes in the world are something brand new.
2timothy316 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:47 am There are things that people do around me now that were extremely rare or even unheard of 40 years ago. Particularly when it comes to morals: "lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God," has escalated greatly since I was young. The YOLO way of life is the motto for many people today. Which that was the attitude of people in Jerusalem before it was destroyed. Isa 22:13. People more and more people care more about themselves than the morals set by God.
"Which that was the attitude of people in Jerusalem before it was destroyed"? Thank you. You just proved my point.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #57

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:35 pm
Skeptical wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:33 pm
No there is not. ...

No problem...
Glad to hear it! And please, have a most wonderful evening.

Kind Regards

JEHOVAH’S WITNESS
And keep up the proselytizing on a debate board. 😆

onewithhim
Savant

Post #58

Post by onewithhim »

Skeptical wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:21 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:41 pm
Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:21 am This question is primarily asked to JWs, but anyone with a Bible-based view may participate in this discussion. But my two-fold question is: According to Matthew 24:14:
14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations,+ and then the end will come.
a) What exactly was the good news of the Kingdom that was preached in the first century CE?
b) Since Jesus was referring to all the inhabited earth during the first century, what "end" was he referring to?

And the reason why I ask these questions is because I understand that JWs have a different interpretation of what the gospel or good news is compared to other Christians. Also, since the inhabited earth during the first century went beyond the Roman province of Judea and the city of Jerusalem, what concern would "the end" be for Christians living in other regions of the inhabited earth? (Colossians 1:23)
Other, self-proclaimed, Christians go so far with the good news and then they stop. There is more to the good news than these Christians teach. They say the good news is Christ's death on the cross, period. He himself taught that the good news was about the Kingdom. It is clear from that scripture which you quoted. Why do these self-proclaimed Christians avoid saying anything about the Kingdom of God? It is actually a government by Christ that will rule over the earth in due time. We have prayed for it every time we recited the Lord's Prayer. "Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on the earth as it is in heaven." (Matthew 6:9,10) When I was growing up, we recited this prayer in school, yet no one knew what this "Kingdom" was at all. Why did Christendom drop the ball, so to speak?

Jesus' death on the 'cross' was literally the life-saving act of God and His Son. It is most important. But what Christendom leaves out is the Kingdom. It is a government that will bring an end to evil, and all the wickedness that some men perpetrate, so that righteous people can live in peace.

(Yes, the inhabited earth was all the earth that was known to the people at that time. But Jesus was referring to the end of Satan's old corrupt system of things and the beginning of God's new system of things here on Earth.)

"The God of heaven shall set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed...and it shall break in pieces and consume all [of mankind's] Kingdoms [or, governments], and it shall stand forever." (Daniel 2:44) Christendom is all political. It has neglected to inform people about God's own government. Christendom is in bed with the politicians, as you might have noticed.
Well, my next question may merit a different thread, but did first century Christians know anything about a two-class kingdom? Because from what I understand, JWs didn't know anything about this until the year 1935. Therefore, where is it in the Bible that God's ancient Jewish people and Jesus-following people had that understanding?
The ancient Jewish people that followed Jesus didn't fully understand many things as yet, including when Jesus would establish his Kingdom. (See Acts 1:6,7). Jesus told them that "it does not belong to you" to get knowledge of the times and seasons. He had indicated to them that their understanding would be complete at a further time. Jesus had indicated that there were "other sheep" (John 10:16) that would exist, besides those "sheep" that he had been gathering to be his co-rulers ("Have no fear, little flock"...Luke 12:32). Who would those other sheep be? Not the ones that he told would rule with him in heaven. They might not have understood the facts about the other sheep and the "little flock" at that time, but it was cleared up for them centuries later. After all, Daniel wrote that the truth would be "made secret and sealed up until the time of the end." (Daniel 12:9,10)

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #59

Post by 2timothy316 »

Skeptical wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:49 pm
All societies decline.
The one you are in will be removed.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #60

Post by Skeptical »

onewithhim wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:48 pm
Skeptical wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:21 pm Well, my next question may merit a different thread, but did first century Christians know anything about a two-class kingdom? Because from what I understand, JWs didn't know anything about this until the year 1935. Therefore, where is it in the Bible that God's ancient Jewish people and Jesus-following people had that understanding?
The ancient Jewish people that followed Jesus didn't fully understand many things as yet, including when Jesus would establish his Kingdom. (See Acts 1:6,7). Jesus told them that "it does not belong to you" to get knowledge of the times and seasons. He had indicated to them that their understanding would be complete at a further time. Jesus had indicated that there were "other sheep" (John 10:16) that would exist, besides those "sheep" that he had been gathering to be his co-rulers ("Have no fear, little flock"...Luke 12:32). Who would those other sheep be? Not the ones that he told would rule with him in heaven. They might not have understood the facts about the other sheep and the "little flock" at that time, but it was cleared up for them centuries later. After all, Daniel wrote that the truth would be "made secret and sealed up until the time of the end." (Daniel 12:9,10)
So, what about their belief of a paradise earth. Because someone either in this thread or another one had said that that was their belief and had even quoted Matthew 6:10 to prove it. And that that is what they were preaching about concerning the good news of the kingdom in Matthew 24:14